DBT #229 Midwest Mama - Monica Austin

 

Twice I had an opportunity to see Monica Austin within the last 12 months; first in a songwriter round very acoustic and next with her band on the deck of the Trempealeau Hotel.  Both times I walked away thinking that this woman is pretty special.   In between those dates, this woman also won the Midwest Country Music Organization, "Entertainer of the Year"  Dang, from what I saw at the hotel, they got it right.

Ok you are all saying that country music isn't your normal go to, well you are right in a way (I have a huge vinyl selection of Wille, Johnny Cash & many legends) and of course it's mainly because I surround myself with good music and there is only good music coming from Monica's way.  Plus she comes across as real and not a country copy coming out of Nashville these days; I'm going on the limb and saying she's Americana Country like Ashley McBryde. (Yes my wife and I agreed she should cover "Brenda Put Your Bra Back On" live)

Here's what Monica had to say about the album in Bandcamp:

Midwest Mama is a collection of anthems that shout "I can overcome". The opening track "'90s Country" sets the tone with the statement "I'm singing songs about Mama, the river and the road-the record man can shove it where the sun don't go". From there, each track is a piece of what it might feel like to be a Midwest Mama on a given day. It's about fighting for those you love, yourself and most of all, what you believe in while giving credit where credit is due.

Let's get this party started with all Monica penned songs:

1) 90's Country

Ok if this song doesn't bring out the line dance.

Friday night when work is out I want a honky tonk Where Cowboys call me Miss and two step all night long I want songs about mama, the river and the road Telling the man to shove it where the sun don't go


Yep this is how she sounded in that first time I saw her:


2) Ho Down

I first thought this song was called "Redneck Father's Daughter", and then I heard the story about the inspiration of the song.  I guess Ho Down isn't the dance but rather a rival woman that got on the wrong side of Monica.  If I remember the story right it didn't happen, but came close and that woman was going down.  She is more my height but truly I wouldn't cross this woman.


For the video, there is one out there from the acoustic sessions but I posted a memory from her Friday night at the Trempealeau Hotel.  I thought it was funny that night I noted that they should have been arrested; there was a sign that said no smoking on the deck... and they were smokin'


3) River Date (Midwest Mamas)

I suppose this little rocker is the title track and it's a recap from when Monica inspired them to all jump into a pontoon and take a ride down the river.


I'm not sure what came first the river date or the song, but who cares enjoy the video these women are having fun.  (hang in until the end when Monica gets thrown into the water and then giggles)


We pause this review for a Charlie Berens break and have him debunk the comment that a pontoon is the Mini Van of the Marina..


4) My Sister Did

Such a great thank you for the faith that your family or friends can give you, this one is for her sister who's always had her back.  Right Monica slows it down for this nice slow ballad, and I love the way she sings the word "radio"


Sometimes I'm as surprised as you to look for a video per song, here's that Acoustic Session again.  So magical.


5) Mama's Don't Leave

Another soul searching slow ballad that I can not give you a better description than Monica:

From being born to and eventually taken from an addict, to becoming a single mother and working hard to find healing and closure, Mamas Don't Leave is the story of my journey. In it, I hope that anyone who has (or is currently) struggling finds inspiration and that any person who has every asked me why it took me so long to find "success" gains perspective about what "success" means to me.


I love the live setting of this video though the sound quality is a little muffled.  She's has that entertainer of the year look.


6) What I Need 

Boy this song is one of my favorites and touches my gypsy soul.  NOW before you think I got my embedment wrong.  I need to see if I can get Monica's attention; the songs are mislabeled.  What I need is a nice gentle song of love, and Son of a Bitch is a rocking anthem.  If she fixes it, I'll update the blog they are SOOOOO Different of songs.


Here's the acoustic session at it's finest:


7) Son of a Bitch

This song put her in the Americana side of the road, telling her school that her son didn't do anything wrong decking a bully who was picking on a trans/gay kid.  The song got her into trouble in the deep state of Iowa red.  I miss the good old days when Iowa was known for good loving folks; I hear from the Storm Lake Time Pilot, Greg Brown has stopped playing his song "Iowa Waltz" because he doesn't believe "they take care of their young, they take care of their old" anymore.  Monica seems to say bullshit to that when she sees the hatred.


Wow... I can't believe there isn't a video out there for this song ... YET.. if one shows up I'll come back and add it to the post.

8) Thomas Davis Show

Now this is my kind of Paul Thorn story song that I love.


Let's go back to the Rust Belt, where I noticed this time that her lead guitarist is the excellent Chris Avey from the Avey Grouws band


9) The Other Side

Monica ends it with a blues rocker where she lives her brother's life.


Here it is acoustic and definitely tinged with Bobby Gentry sound.  Yes Monica could stand her ground singing next to that legend too.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!