DBT #236 Sweet Beginning by Kathryn Severing Fox

 

It's Thursday and I would love to be back on track to post my Review Releases today; however the whole album isn't released until tomorrow.  I supported Kathryn Severing Fox's album in advance so I got my download early, and it's still in Bandcamp so I cover my "Review Requirements"  

The second rule of the reviews is have I been listening, oh yes why not it's beautiful.  Final rule is do I feel a connection to the artist; well after I heard her and Chad Elliott play at Storyhill Fest in 2022, it was a matter of when and not if they were going to play a house concert at my Bluff View House Concert Series.  It will be Friday Oct 6th, feel free to join us by RSVPing me.


1) Sweet Beginnings is just that; like an opening scene with the lead lady walking down a street singing to herself and meanwhile a love affair happens in her mind. The soft strings (kind of shows Kathryn’s classic background) and the electric piano accompanies your journey, Sigh and smile, there is a beautiful album ahead.  Co-written by Kathryn’s sister who wrote it as a poem.   I definitely have hearted this song in my music library.



Here's a stripped down version she put on YouTube



2) White Lines & Headlights - Oh the love of touring, and with the finger picked intro this is a gentle highway. Kathryn is moving in this song and sneaks her duo name Weary Rambler into the one dream of this story.  So many restless dreams to come, and it's also a favorite on the album.


200 miles from the bed
Where I lay my restless head
A weary rambler fighting for a chance
To see herself once again



3) Footprints - a girl can dream and a boy can too.  This stellar song inspiration came from a new picture in an old homestead.



4) Follow that Feelin’ - Just a touch more bluesy feel gives Kathryn an opportunity to let her vocal pipes move down to an unrequited love setting.  I’m assuming that is Chad Elliott (the other half of Weary Ramblers) humming along and follow that feeling.  Got to love this song.


Do you wonder how the world would be
If they saw you, and they saw me?
Are you waiting until the moments right
To go on and follow that feelin’?



5) Silver Creek Soliloquy - Ha, I’m just a folky and truly don’t know a soliloquy is without googling it, but I love the place that Kathryn takes us to so I’ll just leave it there.



6) Eight Days - a slow sad story of summer.


It’s been a cold, cold winter
A winter that just won’t seem to ease
Without those arms to keep me warm
Or those eyes holdin’ me



7) Summer Moon - Just a simple love song.



8) Secret  - Truly a good slide guitar hiding those secrets away.  Some secret is hiding six feet under… hmm.


I thought I was keeping it a secret
But the secret was keeping me
Been six feet under the pavement
With only darkness to see



9) Midwest Country Waltz - If you are from IA, isn’t a good waltz a requirement on every album.  Chad Elliott joins Kathryn singing harmony, playing harmonica, and co-writing this gem.  No wonder I so enjoyed them up at Storyhill Fest 2022 that I got them booked for a house concert Oct. 2023.  I’m going to guess they might play this.


The whippoorwill and the morning dove
Can sing this song about our love
The Midwest country waltz, they sing
With the moon and stars above



Ah yes someone recorded them live in a listening room:



10) The Only - I hope the temperatures are dropping like a Midwest December, Kathryn wraps a blanket of love around you in this song.



11) Troublesome Creek - Oh love the minor key coming to haunt you as you break up a true love.  Just like that eerie slide guitar that shows up again.



12) Love of Mine - Bring in that excellent snare that has danced throughout much of the album for a little kitchen jazz dancer.  Ok leave the knives on the counter, and reach out for your sweetie.  The floor is speckled with flour and that flame is glowing on the stove and in Kathryn’s lyrics. So hand on your love’s back and lose your self in that little fiddle melody.



UPDATE Oct 10, Yes I had a chance to host Kathryn at the Bluff View Concerts Series in Holmen WI and got this song on video, plus this one is special because it's unlisted and available normally only if you buy the Bandcamp concert (which you should):



13) Teeter Totter - This song grabs your attention asking you questions blended with harmonies and dang good acoustic slide.  And at the end, she’s waiting for you to answer.  Kathryn says this has a real throwback to when she was 10 year old riding a teeter totter with a friend; no doubt they were filled with questions.


Is it clear? Is it free?
A wide open road to a dream
Will I fly? Will I fall?
Maybe both can happen after all

Will I ever be at ease?
Will I ever find the piece that I wonder if I need?
Making promises I can’t keep
Should I look? Should I peek?



UPDATE Oct 10, Yes I had a chance to host Kathryn at the Bluff View Concerts Series in Holmen WI and got this song on video:



14) Farewell - All good things come to the end those harmonies leave you wanting more; just like Kathryn would want more time with her uncle who passed recently from cancer. 



Yes of course if more videos show up on these songs, I'll add them to the post.  Hope you enjoy the album as much as I do.  Here's the whole album on Bandcamp for your One click adventure:



Next steps if you have time:

- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!