DBT #247 It's a Complicated Life - The Two Tracks


I shared a song from The Two Tracks back on Edition #233 Labor Day, and really it was an agent Lauren Stoval emailing me that they were a "killer Americana group from Wyoming with cello. They have a really unique sound and wonderful songwriting."  She was right.  

Today I'd love to share with you that I really love their sound, and when it came to the songs; so many grabbed me with the groove or hook that I reached over to "Heart" the song for later.  6 our of 12 is a very high percentage for me to heart; and kind of puts them into my Thursday review.  

Let's get you started, who are they?

American Songwriter has this to say about The Two Tracks: "They avoid many of the cliches and gimmicks that have grown common in the Americana world while still championing a natural, Earth-grown sound. To hear an acoustic quartet reach a level of dynamic and thematic intensity like The Two Tracks do is an immeasurably rewarding experience. It’s pure musicianship, it’s pure excellence, it’s pure Americana."


Husband and wife Julie and Dave Huebner write songs that traverse the male and female perspective with emotional and natural images of rural American life. The band cares about lyrics, story, and the power of the song, and every arrangement is designed to fully highlight that direct connection between the song and the listener. Hailing from the eastern side of the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming, the band has traversed the country bringing their joyful, unique sound to stages big and small.


So I'll highlight my favorite songs, but really this whole album is great.


1) Canyon Wren


Dave takes the lead and puts you on the back of a canyon wren for a lonely flight around the fog filled mountains, love the electric guitar and the harmonies.



2) I'm Leaving 

"Stick and stones" start the duet on relationships; and it just doesn't sound like it will work out because one or both don't want to hang.  The dobro and fiddle are perfect and it's one that gets your feet moving and face smiling, while they are "pulling all your strings"


4) Workingman's Blues

Fighting the man and a workingman takes it until they die.


6) No Tears Left

I'm a sucker for the rhythm in this song, a touch of Jimmy Buffett and there's nothing wrong with that at all.  Julie's voice is so warm and that lead guitar is clean, one forgets the song is sad tune. 


8) Meeteetse

I had to Google and Meeteetse WY is a city well known for their ghost cowboy stories; and this song weaves them together and makes me want to visit it.


9) Shiny Penny 

Julie picks it up and the cello is ready; it shines like a brand new penny.


They could use some time off and record some videos... ha if they do I'll add them to the review.  I did find this song was recorded by someone:



12) Still Gold in California

This album ends with this travel song, with a wonderful chorus that reminds me of the days of listening to a new Poco or Eagles song.  I could see this showing up in one of my States playlists.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!