DBT #267 Sweaters & Shirts

I was gifted Taylor Swift's "Folklore" vinyl for Christmas.  Yes my first ever Taylor Swift in the library, and it's really fitting my tastes over the many pop orchestrated drum track led songs.  I have imported it to the digital library (yes I'm an old fart), read about it in Wikipedia and found out it was a Grammy winner, and even have watched the Disney + Long Pond Studio Sessions where the trio of songwriters played the entire album.  I was impressed including Taylor never having any wardrobe changes during the session (ha).

I noted right away having a song named "Cardigan" could easily influence a playlist someday, well that day is today and the journey was typical including buying and importing from vinyls or cds.

I loved googling Swiftie's love for Taylor, and I figured there had to be a picture of her in a cardigan, yikes she even released her edition with Folklore embroidered on it, plus you can buy handmade alternate versions too.  I have a tremendous admiration for that woman, here's one that is out in Google.


Sweater songs quickly looked to be tough to find, so I wanted to listen to my favorite Mary Chapin Carpenter song "This Shirt" so my adventure was Sweaters and Shirts.  Here we go:

1) Cardigan - Taylor Swift

Ok, I really love the writing in this song; she's kind of a Jane Austen of her time.  She writes way more about relationships than I want in my songs normally, but she's good at it.  

"But I knew youDancin' in your Levi'sDrunk under a streetlight, II knew youHand under my sweatshirt"

"I knew youYour heartbeat on the High LineOnce in 20 lifetimes, IAnd when I felt like I was an old cardiganUnder someone's bedYou put me on and said I was your favorite"

2) Hockey Sweater - Dala

I found I had this song in my CD library with a search in Discogs collection.  Yes the studio version is great, but here's a live video of a truly Canadien love song.


3) Clothes Line Saga - The Roches

I had to make sure my all time favorite Dylan cover song had shirts in it. (just kidding I knew it was a star in the song)

After a while, we took in the clothesNobody said very muchJust some old wild shirts and a couple pairs of pantsWhich nobody really wanted to touch

...

I reached up, touched my shirtAnd the neighbor said, "Are those clothes yours?"I said, "Some of them, not all of them"He said, "Ya always help out around here with the chores?"
I said, "Sometime, not all the time"Then my neighbor, he blew his noseJust as papa yelled outside"Mama wants you to come back in the house and bring them clothes"

4) Brown Shirts - John Gorka

We need John's song more than ever as we highlight the evil white supremacy brings to our lives.

Brown shirts
They're a little more subtle now
Brown shirts than the "house painter" man
Brown shirts speak of God as their witness
But they would kill Jesus again


5) Favorite Shirt - Natalia Zukerman

Yes we all have one.


6) This Shirt - Mary Chapin Carpenter

As I said, one of my favorite song of hers; and always on my mind as I pick up an old shirt and wear it again.


7) You Look Good in my Shirt - Keith Urban

Yep, I did search in Google for songs that might apply, and this one fit and I thought sure let's get a little more country in the library; so I bought it today.  (just a song heck sending him $1.29 is better than trying to stream it 300 times)


8) Fourth Time Around - Yo La Tengo

Our second Dylan song where a shirt is not just a small reference.  The song is from "I'm Not There" which is a documentary I should watch, and I'm not sure what inspired this fan to put the song to Edie Sedgwick clips; cool though.

She threw me outside, I stood in the dirt where everyone walkedAnd after finding out I'd forgotten my shirt, I went back and knockedI waited in the hallway, she went to get it, and I tried to make senseOut of that picture of you in your wheelchair that leaned up against


9) All I Want - Joni Mitchell

Thanks to google I found this song ended up with a significant "knit you a sweater" reference.  I also want to thank this playlist for getting me to import "Blue" into the digital library.  Nice this vinyl is still worth $27 today.  Awe we get her live on her dulcimer...


10) Betty - Taylor Swift

During the Long Pond Session she talks how this song is part of trio of songs she has connections during the Folklore album.  Could it be the cardigan?  Oh... Wikipedia gives us more below and it's a perfect bookend to end this playlist.

Standing in your cardiganKissin' in my car againStopped at a streetlightYou know I miss you

The fourteenth track, "Betty", is a country and folk rock song with prominent harmonica.[41][82] It describes the relationship narrated in "Cardigan", but in the perspective of the cheating boyfriend James,[56] who had a summer fling with the female narrator of "August".[82] James apologizes for his past actions but does not fully own up to them, citing excuses.[48] Its characters (Betty, James, and Inez) are named after the daughters of Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds.



Yes here is your ONE Click YouTube playlist.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!