DBT #270 Seven Stones - Katie Dahl

 

Katie Dahl songs have graced the blog seven times, yet I had a rule that I couldn't review an album of hers unless it was on Bandcamp.  I had a chance to pick up this vinyl mid-December when she and Peter Mulvey played the Trempealeau Hotel; and I might have reminded her that she still isn't on Bandcamp.  Well this week she sent me a note that she is on Bandcamp.  Yippee, now I can share my thoughts on the album.  Here's a video from that night in December:



1) Both Doors Open

Dark and foreboding this grabs you from the first verse:

i have a son who almost died, had a dad who did
both times what was crazy was the way the light stayed lit
how my breath kept on coming while i was listening for his
there inside the corridor, wrapped in my mother’s shawl
pictures of the dogs and kids and grandpas on the wall
i felt something stirring from the far end of the hall 



It's still a dark song solo too:


2) Since I was Eight

A sparse tune with a personal story, maybe an anthem for girls growing up. (BTW Katie high marks for putting it on BC with lyrics and the liner notes)

i’ve been trying to lose weight since i was eight
cause i saw a picture of myself jumping into a lake
i’d been playing in the water for most of the day
and now the sun had set down most of the way
big orange ball sinking into the gray
and me just jumping into the waves
i threw the picture away



3) Sacristy

Growing up Catholic, I don't have these memories but with Katie's help I can paint the story with Holy Innocents recollection.  I wonder if she had partner in crime, or was it just a story metaphor.

and you said, the red velvet plate with the quarters, let’s take them
we’ll build ourselves a house on the hill
we can draw the holy water
water from our own

I love everything about the production of the song too, from the fiddle to the fading drum at the end.


4) Temperance River

The picked guitar and Eliza Gilkyson's voice accents again a rich yet moody sparse arrangement. The subtle banjo though is a wonderful touch. Temperance River flows into Lake Superior and now I'd love to visit the park.


5) Jericho

Drums, electric guitar and piano are up front in this sultry little love story, though it also has a tasty National guitar solo. Jericho would be an interesting person to meet based on the second verse, oh my who died?

her body is as soft as any bed
soft like mine
his gravestone is as hard as his beautiful head
a limestone valentine
she carries a purse made of leather
feathers and twine
she’ll open it up if you ask her
make it rain down dimes
but if you get too close, she’ll cut the line



6) Red Brown Blue Green

When I see a song clocking in at 6:33, I wonder what to expect and how many times will I seriously listen to the whole song even if I love it.  (Yes my hero Bob does that to me all the time) The song ties to the title of the album with the stone reference:

like the red rocks knocking in the big brown river
in my blue jeans wading and her laughing like forever
and the green leaves running down toward superior

I do love the subtle addition of Peter Mulvey and Kris Delmhorst voices as the song evolves.


7) Two Old Birds

Picking up the melody brings a smile, and Katie paints a story about two friends enjoying their company. It's a fun song, but I don't have a word for it.  This I starred immediately as a favorite.  And yes there is a stone reference which make me wonder if I need to search a stone reference in every song?


8) I Already Knew

Such a tasty arrangement, the guitar sets the background, the mandolin accents the journey, fiddle is the thread, another nasty dobro solo, and wow the choir is only two more voices?  Yes Katie delivers a beautiful "I love you" but I bet you already knew that.


Here's a stripped down version she submitted to NPR's Tiny Desk.


9) Summer Grass

The way this song grooves I knew immediately it would be a favorite.  I love everything about it, to the vocal arrangements, the claps, and in the middle of winter it brings a lot of warm memories of summer.  Painted by a woman living in WI, yes summer day dreaming is easier when you go through the real seasons.


10) Silhouette

Love and death?  Katie gets your attention with those whip-smart lyrics.

how do you know that you love who you love
do you wait for a flood, do you send out a dove
when i get to wondering how deep or how high
i close my eyes, think about the day you’ll die
oh love, the day you’ll die


i am a canyon, a red riverbed
stones in my belly, birds in my head
and you are the river, on the day you run dry


11) Mon Beau Galet

An experimental folk arranged hymn for stones in French. (first verse translation)

i had a stone that held all my waters
my beautiful stone
years ago they told me I had to let it go
my beautiful stone


I hope you take time to discover more of Katie's music now that she's on Bandcamp.  She's on my wish list to fill the empty holes in my collection.  Likely the next Bandcamp Friday.

Before we go today, here's a concert taped for PBS.


Next blog steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!