DBT #280 Women's Herstory Month 2024


My musician friend Beth Bombara shared a playlist (Spotify and Apple) streaming playlist for this month and I got me thinking what would be mine look like.  I tried to reach back to songs and artist that really have touched me over the many years, yet I tried to make it a little new for listening (which I do a lot of these playlists).  Ok one can easily critique, where's Janis Joplin, Carole King, Tina Turner, Sheryl Crow, Joan Baez, Aretha Franklin, Judy Collins, Loretta Lynn, Gillian Welch, or Lucinda Williams and you can check out Beth's 15 song playlist here for others.   Let's walk through my dozen song playlist:

1) Do I Ever Cross Your Mind - Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris

Ok I cheated and grabbed three legends in one song and picked a song written by Dolly.  Now people stop only covering Jolene, she has written so many great songs. (yes there will be a YouTube playlist at the end)


2) Home - Bonnie Raitt

Her Bonnie covers a Karla Bonoff song on her 1977 "Sweet Forgiveness" album; and here's a video from that era from the rock 'n roll Godess.


3) California - Joni Mitchell

It's not if Joni should be in this list, it's which incredible song off of Blue (my favorite vinyl).  So lucky again to get a live concert for your enjoyment; and if you watch it hers.  She seems to be so happy to be singing the song.


4) Lights Of Lousianne - Jennifer Warnes

Jennifer might make a lot of people's lists but her voice means so much to me, and while she is the BEST Leonard Cohen interpreter this song was penned by a friend of Leonard's Nancy Bacal and The Hunter cd was always a favorite.  So many great songs to pick from on that 1992 release.  Wow, I must have chosen wisely, I found a live recording of this one too.


5) I Would Like to Dance - Janis Ian

Sure it would be easy to pick "Seventeen" or "Mary's Eyes" but I had this song imported from vinyl and I wanted something a little more upbeat.


6) Feeling Good - Nina Simone

Absolutely love that this video is only two years and they are keeping Nina's music alive.


7) Lay Down Your Weary Tune - Mary Black

Ok I have more songs of Mary than this Dylan cover, but she owns it; and it's one of my top 20 All Time favorite songs. (ok that does sound like a playlist someday)  She is a legend and I love when she also sang with Emmylou.


8) Get Out the Map - The Indigo Girls

These ladies have had such great hits, but this one always percolates up as my favorite even though who even uses maps anymore. (Love that this filmed at the Fillmore)


9) Love Chooses You - Laurie Lewis

A legend in the bluegrass circles and another one of my top 100 all time favorite songs.  Yes that is the legendary dobro player Jerry Douglas on this 1989 release.


10) Sunday Kind of Love - Etta James

Yes I'm a kind of romantic guy and when Kenny Rankin covered this song, I had to find out more about who did it first.  Well Etta wasn't first, but it goes back to 1960 and I dare say she did it best. Yes I picked the most sultry video of the song available. 


11) On the Road to Fairfax County - The Roches

One could say the Roches did give birth to some of this generations best singer songwriters, but that's another playlist.  Here is a awesome cover of David Massengill.  I love that they say it's nasty, hey it's more like an old folk song; of course there should be a sequel where we find out she bears his child.

O once I loved an outlaw he came and stole my heartO how I count the hoursSince we were torn apart
On the road to Fairfax CountyI spied a highwaymanHe wanted all my moneyMy heart beat like a drum
I gave him all my moneyAnd sweet he smiled at meHis beauty eye took pityBeneath the old oak tree
We kissed but for an hourThe sun was newly warmThe clouds were as the flowersThat bloom but for a morn
He gave back all my moneyAnd bowed most gallantlyHe promised for to meet meThat night beneath the tree
We'd flee to some far islandAnd there we would be wedAnd freely we would live thereWith no price upon his head
That night I went to meet himWith my inheritanceHe kissed me 'neath the half moonAnd joyful we did dance
O love betrays all secretsIt whispers in the breezeThe sheriff he did followWith all his deputies
Like hounds rushing to slaughterThe fox whose luck is runAnd he stood erect and cursed themGod damn you every one
They seized him in a furyAnd heeding not my pleaThey hung him from the oak treeWhere he made love to me


12) The Trouble in the Fields - Nanci Griffith

Of course Nanci would need to be in the list.  I found this Transatlantic video of Nanci with Maura O'Connell.  It did not allow embedding but if you click the picture it will take you to YouTube to listen to this great rendition.


Thank you for listening to my favorite legends.  Here's your One Click Playlist.


Next blog steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!