DBT #281 Sacrifice


Being Holy Week, I thought about doing a playlist of significant Christian tunes, and I still might.  My mind wandered to just the Sacrifice that was made on Good Friday, and Molly Brandt's song "I Surrender to the Night" came on and I said, yep that will be the first song.  This playlist is a cross section to recently added music to my digital library, so well find a sacrifice thread through them.


1) Surrender to the Night - Molly Brandt

Last Friday we had a chance to see Minneapolis' Molly Brandt at the Root Note, and did grab a video.  We didn't buy a physical cd as we snuck out a little early, but I love that she was on Bandcamp and bought the album more as much to hear the words.  Tough job to get the vocals over a 5 pc band in a small room, I always wonder if I would do a better job as the sound guy. (Ha, I guess I do that in our house concert series but never am I challenged with a drum set.)  Molly sacrifices love and lays it before the night.

Only surrender to the night
Follow in the glow of a neon sign
I'm giving up on being in love
So I'm leaving you behind
I only surrender to the night


2) Snowing on Raton - The Calico Stray

The Calico Stray put out it's second album Feb. 27th, and I think I took maybe 3 minutes to buy it.  I love their choice in music to cover; like Townes Van Zandt's sacrificing himself to life on the road for us and the music.


3) Lord Take My Soul - Sarah King

Yikes, I picked a song that isn't available to the public yet.  I got it early from Sarah since I backed her album.  I'll leave it the list and add the song later.  She is obviously sacrificing her soul.  UPDATE now on March 29th the release date:  (yes it's been added to YouTube playlist at the end too)

Lord take my soul
But the struggle remains
I’d like to rest my bones
But I cannot change my ways
I’m bound to suffer for my sins


4) Last Winter was a Hard One - Joe Hickerson

I recently added this vinyl into my digital library. To me this is why you have a vinyl library at your needles reach.  (thank goodness for RCA Convertors to the iMac)  Women are sacrificing their lives in this hardship song.


5) Wake me when it's Over - I'm With Her

As they stated on the Facebook page  "We’re excited to share our cover of Willie Nelson’s “Wake Me When It’s Over.” This is a voice memo recording of us practicing the song for Americana Music Association’s salute to Willie Nelson back in 2020."

Another sacrifice to love:

My mind is getting weak now
Weak now, weak now
Got to get some sleep now
Sleep now, sleep now
Got to rest my aching head
I just want to lay here
Lay here, lay here
Just let me stay here
Until thе blues get up and leavе my bed




6) Goodbye Mary - Molly Tuttle

So many great songs on the Grammy winning "City of Gold", this sad ballad probably doesn't make too many lists of top songs from the album. Mary's child got sacrificed much too early.


7) Sisters - Susan Werner (featuring Tish Hinojosa)

Susan wrote a beautiful song about the sister cities and the sacrifices that the separation costs for people who are brothers in so many ways.  Great casting adding Tish, I've loved her music since her 1989 release of Homeland.


8) What's Up (Goodwerks) - Ira Wolf

I picked this song up last Bandcamp because I love anything Ira puts out into the world.  This track was noted as :

Broken Glass is a compilation that brings together communities of Nettwerk artists of all genre and gender, covering songs from the 90s, originally performed by women. This project is Nettwerk's response to the socio-political environment that we now live in. It is a continuation of the cultural legacy begun with Nettwerk's founding of Lilith Fair in the 90s and launches a new mission that we intend to carry forward, supporting reproductive rights. The 11th instalment of the compilation features a cover of 4 Non Blondes's "What's Up" by Ira Wolf.


I couldn't say I really knew the song, but I knew the hooks within so somewhere it snuck into my brain.  I truly had to look up the original; and you know I like Ira's cover better.  (biased?)  The lyrics take on what Jesus might have felt in his last days fighting the institutional religious leaders, and finally screaming in his own way to his father about "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani? '” which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" or "What's going on Dad?"

...
and I try, oh my god do I try
I try all the time, in this institution

And I pray, oh my god do I pray
I pray every single day
For a revolution.

And so I cry sometimes
When I'm lying bed
Just to get it all out
What's in my head
And I, I am feeling a little peculiar

And so I wake in the morning
And I step outside
And I take a deep breath and I get real high
And I scream from the top of my lungs
What's going on?



9) The Broken Road - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

The sacrifice for love again along the broken road. (Yes I recently imported several songs off of Acoustic, what a great album.)


10) Wind Beneath My Wings - Beth Midler

I ran across the "Experience the Devine" greatest hit cd recently and imported a few songs.

Yes so many of us have had another sacrifice their world to make us better:

… It might have appeared to go unnoticedBut I've got it all here in my heartI want you to know I know the truth, of course I know itI would be nothing without you


11) Sanctuary - Billy Jonas

Another found cd "Get Real" in a spindle that I forgot I owned.  This is truly the only religious song in the playlist, but I had never heard it like this before.  

Now this video is more like the Christian version that starts "Lord prepare me" per the video notes this is an old folk song?  Well the words go back to 1800's and written by John Thompson who was:
John Thompson was the prime minister of Canada from 1892 to 1894. He was the first Roman Catholic to serve in the position. John David Thompson was born on November 10, 1845, in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He added the name Sparrow to become John Sparrow David Thompson later in life" 








Now check out the studio version with Billy's mastery of percussion; in this case YOU are the sacrifice to love to become a sanctuary.


12) Siren's Call - Olivia Dvorak

Another found CD plus it was bought & signed after we saw her rare appearance at the Trempealeau Hotel.  It just might be the Devil's daughter sacrificed in this song, but it is so good I'm glad I rediscovered it.


13) Insha'Allah - Corb Lund

As written in my review, this song is God willing put on to a fantastic album.  I'm not sure exactly what the inspiration was for writing it, someday God willing.  I would say a trek across the desert is pretty much a sacrifice:

How I long to make the trek back home across the arid desert to my sonFor now he must be old enough to ride and read and fire the British gunBut will he know his father when he sees in me the things that I have done?


14) Hurt - Merrill Miller

A great cover of Cash's cover, life is a sacrifice.

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focused on the pain
The only thing that's real


Yes here's a One Click YouTube playlist for ease of listening.

Next blog steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!