DBT #287 RIP Dickey Betts

 


The Allman Brothers Band was likely the most important band I followed in my whole life.  Sure I'm a huge fan of Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, and Greg Brown to name just a few; but those artists could be a solo act and I would love them.  The Brothers were rich in uniqueness for what they helped create "Southern Rock"  My God what band would do two drummers, and my disinterest in drums is thrown out the window when it comes to this band.  Jaimoe and Butch Trucks so played off each other.  Duane was so incredible in his short life; and his brother Gregg was the only white guy who could really sing the blues.  Dickey Betts was a favorite from the start, his country style writing and singing of Blue Sky ultimately foreshadowed my tastes the rest of my life.  I loved listening to Dickey and Duane do dueling solos, I could easily tell the two apart, and both styles meant so much to their sound.  Funny I never find myself listening to any other band that's similar as much as I do the Allmans.

I followed Dickey through his solo and his other bands, and his folky/country Highway Call is one of my top favorites and I thought as he passed away April 18th I would honor his memory in a playlist.  Now this could go on forever because I own 23 Albums of the Brothers with Betts & Gregg solo efforts.

These 14 songs include Dickey lead classics of Blue Sky and Ramblin Man, the vocal songs from Highway Call, a few favorites from his Great Southern, and you'll hear Gregg lead vocals from the Brothers and Sisters album which Dickey was the only guitarist for awhile.  Right I'm missing in Memory of Elizabeth, but I kept the list to only one hour and I had to include Jessica for the long instrumental.


For this playlist, I felt I'd put in just the YouTube for your listening, but of course if I find a live recording worth sharing; you know I will.


Of course I tried my best to figure out who that was on the second guitar.  I looked up everyone listed on this live album from that year, but none of them had the look of this guy.  Hmm maybe Dan Toler, but the hair is too short. 



This one I'm sure is Dan Toler on the second guitar, he was with Dickey in Great Southern.  Loved the ladies on the platform singing too.


Same concert, not sure why Dickey took lead vocal, the studio version is so much better so I put them both in the playlist.


Here you go for comparison.


Another song that is sped up little for concert, but this is intense.


I did miss the acoustic guitar introduction, so here's the studio too.


Here's your one click YouTube playlist.

Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!