DBT #288 Abuse Awareness Playlist

 


This week I made a visit down to Gundersen Lutheran to have my bandage changed on my hand with trigger finger surgery, and yes I'll spare you the ugly Frankenstein picture.  I did see banners up for April being Sexual Abuse Awareness month.  Immediately I thought of two songs and figured I could make one of the saddest playlists that I have made.  Guys are basically jerks and some behave themselves better than others; some are just lost in whatever power, insecurity, or mental illness can be imagined.  That later part manifests way to easy, and are so wrong.  This behavior is the root of these songs, and I worry with all the hatred being bantered around by the extreme right wing ding bats it's only going to get worse.  

I did google the subject for songs, but none of the ones they presented were in my library.  So I scrolled, listened and read lyrics to find ten appropriate songs; yes I stopped at ten it was painful enough.  If this brings any healing, I'm good....to me it was mostly anger and tears.  I offer this playlist without a lot of commentary:


1) Blame it on the Booze - Sarah King

How long til he hits you
Will you wait here to find out
I can come and help you
If you just give me a shout

2) Goodbye Mary / Molly Tuttle

Abuse of women's rights and the complicated journey of a unwanted pregnancy is so well written in this song.

Weary Mary don't despairIf you should stumble on the stairsRide careless down the rocky road

3) Sisters (feat. Tish Hinojosa) / Susan Werner

with the sun from their father's side
and the moon as their mother
bad men use them and break their hearts
what hurts one hurts the other

4) Look What You Made Me Do / Taylor Swift

Rumored to be about her abuse case, but it's a standard line in abusive relationships.

5) The Prince / Julie Williams

This was one of the first songs I thought of for this playlist.  Warning this video is hard to watch without crying.

6) The Dress / Emily Scott Robinson

This was the second song I thought of for this playlist. Since this song is on a release before she signed with Oh Boy Records it's not on her Bandcamp page,  find it here. 

Sadly this has our victim wondering as too often they do, was it their fault.  "Was it the dress she wore?"  NO, there are NO Excuses.

7)  Burn the Witch / Sarah Peacock

The ultimate abuse, even just the naming of women witches still pisses me off that Trump wields "Witch Hunt" as a cover for people looking into his abuses.

8)  Monster / Ira Wolf

Emotional abuse is even more common than sexual.

9)  Too Many Churches / Sofia Talvik

Now for all the self righteous Christians, Sofia takes a whack at your lack of love though you are everywhere.  Jesus was more of a lover than a judger, I don't know what has corrupted his message.

10)  The Night That Joel Got Shot / Winona Wilde

Ok I thought about Goodbye Earle that I likely have on a cd someplace, but as I was scrolling through my library this song jumped out at me and I don't think it ends happy for Joel or the victim.  Much more real, and definitely enough sadness for one playlist.  I'm stopping at ten.


Here's the one click playlist.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!