DBT #305 "The Beauty of This Now" - Marc Douglas Berardo

 


Recently while shopping at Antique Center of LaCrosse I bought several legends (pictured below) for the collection, and one was James Taylor's "Never Die Young" one that none of the songs sounded familiar.  Discogs told me it was 1988 release, and Wikipedia told me only the title track charted only 80 spot; yet it's James and the review they site:

Cash Box said of the title track that the "lyrics are, as always, a dazzling string of pearls that mesmerize your heart while the musical feel covers you like a warm breeze."[5]


So if the master JT can have an album full of wonderful songs that you've never heard, why can't an independent musician have the same?  None of the songs might not end up famous like "Sweet Baby James" but the might be a dazzling string of pearls.  That's how I found "The Beauty of This Now", incredibly relaxing and well-written, and even after almost ten listens, not one story song over powers the next. Perfect reason to share this album with you.

I was introduced to Marc Douglas Berardo from an agent and digital friend Susie Markland; she pitched me for a house concert and sent me a CD.  Of course I love to Google artists, and I'm always impressed if they have a Wikipedia page; always so much better than an about page on their website.  It's there I found of course he was in the mix for a Kerrville New Folk, won the Wildflower Arts & Music contest, opened or toured with incredible acts, and this was his 7th album.  (for those interested the above JT record was his 12th.)  The Kerrville connection made sense since I thought some of the songs seemed well honed like a Johnsmith song.

Marc did a great job on describing what the album meant to him on the Bandcamp page, and I loved this part of the description:

So in April 2023 I went to Austin to make a record with Walt
Wilkins and Ron Flynt at their Jumping Dog Studio with some of
the best musicians and players John Chipman, Glenn Fukunaga,
Kelley Mickwee, and Scrappy Jud to name a few.  There was also
a lot of laughter and good feeling. I like to think you can hear that
on the final recording. The songs that make up The Beauty of
This Now are all about connection and the struggle to get back
home. That home is defined by our relationships with the people
in our lives and the better truths that we all seek. 

BTW for those who don't know, Walt Wilkins is a Texas living legend that I need to know more about because he's written songs for Ricky Scaggs and Kenny Rogers.

So let's give this album a listen:

1) I'm Listening Now

The album glides gracefully into an apology; I love the way the piano accents the song.


The video is a great collections of pictures from the years of touring, and maybe his significant partner who he's finally listening too?  Ha answer below!


2) That Alone Will Set You Free 

Marc takes you a hopeful walk down the road using religious metaphors, inspiring you to be set free.


Here he is solo.


3) Changing 

The tight studio band establishes the mix with great harmonies added to punctuate the song.  Changes during life's journey is captured in the story.


4) Another Day in July

Marc plays a summer observer, just waiting and telling his story likely on the road.  Kind of a slow relaxing version of Bruce singing about Asbury Park.


You get to see what Marc is watching in this video which was in Block Island RI


5) The Beauty of This Now

The title track starts with a hello and tasteful guitar picking.  Truly friends need to check in on each other; and this is a great reminder.


And of course, it needs to be in my pandemic playlist as he explains in this intro.  (is it me of or does the woman next to him on stage Carolann Solebello look like the women in the first video? Yes dummy me I went back to the liner notes and he thanks her specifically with a cast of many)


6) Let Nothing Come Between Us

A nice swaying groove and the "nah nah nah's" has you singing right along, and it might be the best ear worm of the album.  Yes you have the license to sing along.


7) Hearts in Play

Oh this is Marc's Anderson Fair to Bill Staine's Roseville Fair... fairs bring out love to bloom.


8) I'll Carry You, I'll Carry On

Broken lives can still be healed and Marc helps you mend and carry on.


9) On My Way Home

As September comes on, thoughts turn to fall and you reflect on summer, life, and how far you are from home.  Marc longs to return home to his love.


Here's a live performance from Stage 33:


10) Blow A Kiss and Hit the Road

Ah the electric piano and a farewell that Ray Charles would be proud of.  The choir of "ohhs" was a nice touch, and as Marc eluded to earlier "a lot of laughter and good feeling."


Ok my tagline for this was sit back and relax because it's a wonderful session of waves rolling in, leaves rustling in the trees, and even a slow steady pace of cars going by.  Whatever you find to bring you calm is inherent in this album.  If you think, where are the hits or where's the catchy upbeat catch phrases, I take you back to JT's wonderful album that will live forever and is masterful.  This album is story songwriting at it's finest, and you know what I say "Good Music has NO Expiration Date"... take this off the shelf and enjoy it.

Guess what the week I'm publishing this review is September's Bandcamp Friday week.  Make sure you give this a listen and consider buying it and passing the love back to Marc on a day when BC takes no cut of the money.

Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!