Dave's Music #14 - 2021 Memories Pt.3

 Thanks for making it to Part 3 of the 2021 Memories, if you haven't read Part 1 or Part 2 they are recommended to understand the rules and premise. And if you want to fast forward to 2022, click here. Except for the last five picked they were mostly alphabetically and not in any other priority ranking.  In this post, I also promised I would post a surprise announcement and it will appear at the end.

First up, here are the songs to be reviewed:




31) 2020 saw the death of Justin Townes Earle, and what a tremendous loss it was.  His dad in 2021 brought out a tribute cover cd of his songs; obviously I highly recommend it.  Earle is at his best at this song and I just love how the song ends:


32) The GRFF Songwriter strikes again for another new love.  Karen Bridges and Clint Thomson really caught my attention and then to find out that they were also featured in NPR's Little Tiny Desk contest blog too with this video.  I loved my interview with them, and can't wait to host them some day at a house concert since they are "close" in IL and Karen is from WI.


I chose this song from their 2021 release, but all are quality.


33) The Sweetback Sisters came into my world somehow, and I love these women and their groove.  This is a 2017 release, but if you need to put a smile on your face and dance around the kitchen; look this one up.


And if you are more visual, here's a video of the song, and I think I recognize the bass player is someone who also has played with Lindsey Lou and the Flatbellys.


34) Tara Dente I think was a find from just a search of new folk music in Bandcamp which I've been known to do.  I love the way this starts with the a-cappella harmony; it has a Brandi Carlile feel to it.  It is so true, in anyone's hometown it's as hard to come as it is hard to leave. The song was released as a single and yes I own more by her now. 


Here video of the songs need many more views so enjoy.


35) While I was picking the first list in alphabetical sequence War & Treaty is toward the end, but really I will love the fact that 2021 put them in my library.  Blues, folk, and country influences this husband and wife duo that I didn't find until this year. 


If you haven't heard them before, they did make the old mountain top for me... Austin City Limits.


36) This is the first of five I added that didn't pop up in my method to find my top music described in Part 1, these next five are truly friends that I never have to "Heart" their music because I love them all the time. Fittingly I picked a long time such friend who I met at the Root Note after I couldn't book her for a house concert, Natalie Gelman.  I ended up booking her in 2015 & 2018, then to the Great River Folk Fest, and she was hosted a few other times traveling through.  (She does love Hobbes and it's mutual)

This year she had Blue Elan Records release a cd she seems to have been working on the last two years, and it's wonderful.  Any song could have been picked for this list, so I picked the song she gave an early mix of and one I put a cover on my Bones CD, Some People.  It really speaks to my propensity to be cheap, but in a loving way.


37) Luke Callen rolls in next with his original folk ballad for Minneapolis; Woody would be proud.  On the song Siri Undlin (Humbird) sings harmony, Wolf van Elfmand and Adelyn Rose on Clarinet.  Siri and Luke put on an incredible song swap at our house concert that they allowed me to release it on Bandcamp.  They reprise the song swap in Feb 2022.


38) Ok there is something about Chuck Brodsky that perfectly fits my love for music.  If you don't know about his baseball ballads, or a song that David Wilcox introduced me too, "Blow them away"... look him up.  The song I picked I got added to the library because he shared it with his Patreon supporters.  Yes I have 11 creators I support and Chuck is the only guy in the mix.  That does speak to my heart breaking easier for a woman musician, and that guys just aren't using Patreon as much.

Here are the lyrics, and since I can't find the song anywhere to share as a video or embed, you might have to join Chuck's Patreon page to hear it.

Bit of a Pickle

Citrus selves down for a moment

I won’t take a Latte your Thyme

You’ve Bobolli heard Challah rumors

Which I Canolli deny

Now you Mayo you may Nut believe me

Omelette you make up your own minds

At Steak is my Gouda reputation

I swear, I’m just Arugula kind of guy


Almond a bit of a Pickle

Almond a bit of a Jam

The Ladyfingers me for the Cereal killer

I had to go on the Lamb

I’m not Pudding you on

It’s not the Whey that it looks

And if they ever should Ketchup to me

My Goose would surely be cooked


Life was deliciously Peachy

I owned a Pizza the rock

I had quite a Spread, I made lots of Bread

I made a Mint buying Stock

I took good Carob my family

My wife and my three Lentil girls

So Lettuce just say that I’ve seen Butter days

Manicotte nothing left of that world


Almond a bit of a Pickle

Almond a bit of a Jam

I Margarine I’ll just have to Rum for my life

But I’m innocent, oh yes, I Yam

Any moment now I’ve got to Roll

I’ve got Hot Dogs on my trail  (and Frankly)

I don’t Relish the thought of Bean Cod

And spending my life in the Jell-o, Lard

Spending my life in the jail


Here's the song that David Wilcox covered, and a great example of Chuck's style:



39) As I got down to the last two songs I started wishing I would said 50, and I picked two more artists that I also on Patreon.  First up Amanda Pascali who I've introduced in these blogs before since I met in the 2020 Great River Folk Fest Songwriter contest.  Temporary Home was shared with just her voice and guitar on Patreon.  Since it's not been released yet, I can't find a song on her Bandcamp page.  The song is exactly Amanda's songwriting style that I've fell in love, and that voice is just a perfect fit.  I did find a video, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. (And yes that cello player is intense too, she typically travels with him.)


40) Shanna in a Dress did put out a lot of singles this year, but I'm of course picking the Boobie Song, I just can't get enough of it (or them?) She's a hoot that I've had the honor to meet now both in 2020 and 2021.


Of course some of the fun of this song is always watching the crowd's reaction.



As promised my surprise announcement is posted here first.  Many of you know I'm retiring from WinCraft where I worked since January of 1985, yes I started the day after the Super Bowl.  If you have never seen me representing the company, it's been a passion.  You know put a nickel in me and I'll talk for hours.  Here's a playlist that will show me age over time:


The news that has not been shared yet in social media is that I've also retired from the Great River Folk Fest board.  No more sleepless nights worrying about putting a fest on, making money, getting contracts signed, finding rooms, or just being the last decision maker.  Come May 2nd when I turn 64 I'll basically be free to do whatever I want to do... and or just sit back to write a few new parodies like I've been known to do.  (here's a playlist)... ha just like this great one I found on "When I'm 64"


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!