Dave's Music #153 Top 2022 Songs & Albums

 


So many lists are being published, and I truly appreciate all the hard work and decisions made.  While this blog only focuses on music that has been bought or gifted to me over the years, my library is extensive and I have chosen this year to buy more music than normal.  (My wife would remember me routinely spending over $100 on visits to my favorite record store early in our life together, so I have had this trait for a long while too so what truly is normal?)  

Meanwhile as of 12/22/22, I have added 3,968 songs (10.2 days) to the digital library just during 2022.  Maybe I am retired with money to spend on music and time to import some of my favorite vinyl.

So if you are looking for my top album list, I would just ask you to visit my Review Page.  I handpicked through out this year 33 albums all worthy of being my most favorite of the year.  To select the top ten out of that list that have meant the most to me this year,  I would give you this list in no particular order.  Truly this was tough to select just ten, and all of them are substantially good, but you might not listen or read all 33 so start with these ten.  Click on the pictures and you will to to their reviews with Bandcamp links and videos.












To make a song list I first started statistically, and sorted most played for song added to the digital library during 2022.  Yes I buy a lot of old cds and vinyls, and import randomly through out the year.  Remember my hashtag, #MusicHasNoExpirationDate and this list did give me a spattering of imported vinyl.

Here is the NUMBER One played song during 2022, specifically 90 times, 3.75 hours, that if I was listening in Spotify would have paid them $.36; YIKES.  I still close my eyes and so enjoy the clarity of Claire's voice, and absorb the harmonies as they come in.  Ok... I'll add a few more listens again.





 That was fun, and to look at the entire list of new songs with over 20 plays it is 146 songs long and takes 5 pages.  I decide that was too much and still didn't get a mix of songs I wanted.   I did put all the songs in this video I shared on our Facebook page.  Claire from The Calico Stray again is highlighted in "Prettiest Girl" which was chosen for the Top 60.


 So here is my hand picked top songs of 60.  Only one song per artist, (oops I missed Kelsey Waldon is in there twice - well one was a cover) and I truly am missing favorites and new people I've met during the year.   So many of these have been in my blog during the year so I'm not even going to try to link each song.  I do want to thank you all for reading along this year, and I hope if you don't find your favorite artist on the list that you don't think I still love their music.  I do, in a way that's why this list didn't stop at 50, and I do know I could have gone to 75 or 100.  This is a real playlist I'll listen to, and it clocks in at 3 hours.  I think I'll put it on shuffle, because each voice means something to me and remembering 2022.



I know you all are saying, "Sure you are listening to your playlist for days I bet, how can I listen to all this music Dave?"  Well probably 80% is spread out through this year's posts.  I will come back to this section while I'm listening and add a few links to the songs.  Maybe some day I'll add a YouTube Playlist or some Bandcamp links, until then browse around in the blog, click on the labels on the side to find a particular artist, and while away the hours listening and reading about music.

Of course did you note the song #38? You were only Fucking? A cowrite with a Red Clay Rambler on a vinyl I scored this year.

#55 by John Smith released one of the best songs to look at a political divide, "My Name is America"

So many artists I wanted to pick two or three songs, and Emily Scott Robinson was one of those; I settled on "Old Gods

Now Good Morning is linked twice in the blog now for "Hold Me" so here's their Bandcamp link:


I do have to thank my partner in hosting house concerts in LaCrosse, Greg Tooke gave me a chance to see The Whitmore Sisters and introduce me to Michaela Anne.  While the Whitmore Sisters made the top ten albums, Michaela was so much fun being a newbie to her music.  The songs in my playlist are "The Ballad of Sissy & Porter" and "If I Wanted Your Opinion"

Of course all the voices from this year weren't young new voices, Mavis Staples rocked a release with "Move Along Train", I picked a great vinyl from Leonard Cohen,  and a song new to me  "Everybody Knows", and Janis Ian put out a fantastic album with "Swannanoa"

I mentioned above that Kelsey Waldon did get accidentally included twice but Ellie Gowers's voice made it into the list twice since she sings lead on Flikin's Music cover of Arthur McBride.  And of course I wanted to watch the video again, so I'll share it.


How could make this list without having the star from Mozart in the Jungle, I'd stream it again but I'll likely "Fall in Love Again"

2022 was also the year four singer songwriters put their voices together and created The Starlight Darlins. I choose my friend Siena's song, "Rose Bush" but the EP is rich with talent.

So many songs were chosen because I had a chance to see them live this year.  I love when I tell my wife, trust me you'll love them.  It worked for The Resonant Rogues when we drove an hour to Viroqua to see them.

Then there are the times that Carol Roth of Adventures in Americana tells me to listen to an artist, and then my wife notices in the car how great she is; and that would be Sarah King.

I did tell you above that I would be stopping back and adding more reference to the list, and of course I have to share with you that I do follow Nikki Morgan and she was dancing around in a reel telling people she made a year end list.  I jokingly told her that I would do the same to promote the list, she told me "DO IT".  You know I behave when a woman taller then me tells me to do something.  If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you'll see if it happens.  


Ha... well I did it.

If you are one of the 1700 Facebook or 700 Instagram followers, you also might know that this continued to the kitchen where I cleaned up and prepared some delicious cornish game hens.  While I listened to this playlist, I took it in slowly and ultimately got to the best hymn of 2022, A Plowshare Prayer by Spencer LaJoye.  Thought I'd share the video, AMEN and best wishes for the holidays and 2023... May you find peace.


Today Jan 5th, Genevieve Racette's Someone was picked number one in Roots Music Canada, but I give you Maybe that was the wrong song of hers to pick.


Now some of these songs were picked because the videos are still floating in my head.  Here are a few:






This one song has to be shared because it really talks to my blog spirit.  The legends and the lesser known musicians that have shaped my life and my hope that you truly understand it's not about being Taylor Swift, Adele, or Zack Bryan it's about good music, and good music never goes bad; it has no expiration date and waits until you discover it.


For Tune Tuesday I went looking for Jill Barbers "A Beautiful Life and while it made my list I didn't put it in the blog separately... let's call that fixed. 



If you made it this far, I decide late to add a few categories:

My Top Five Brand New Vinyls bought in 2022


I did add many brand new vinyls this year and these are the ones that are definitely my top favorites : "Wild Rose" by Jessie Buckley and Leonard Cohen "Live in London" were both bought at Barnes & Noble with a gift card for my retirement.  The rest were all bought after fantastic concerts, Resonant Rogues in Viroqua, Michaela Anne at Big Bloody House Concerts, and Taylor Rae at the Dakota in Mspls.

Top Five USED Vinyl bought in 2022


Now this is fun Debby McClatchy was bought for the F-word song, but it's wonderful.  I have no idea where my Edgar Winter White Trash went off to, so I traded one of my doubles to my Doctor who had a double of this vinyl.  I was always on the lookout for more cowboy Ian Tyson, who knew this would be the year he died.  My friend Tim Schniep turned my on to this Ozark Mountain Daredevils vinyl.  Finally call me lucky just don't call me Al, because I not only bought this Paul Simon vinyl used,  but it was still sealed AND it's download card worked.  I paid $5 for it, and could resell it UP to $47.

My Top Ten Favorite Videos of 2022

Ok here's the deal... I decided I wouldn't pick a song from the top 60, and I couldn't pick like 3 Taylor Rae and 3 Emily Scott Robinson 3 Buffalo Rose, and a Mary Mack video and call it a day. So I mixed it up and put in some more favorites from the year and only two that I recorded.  The Iowans and the Buffalo Rose clips really bring back so many smiles.


Here's the one click playlist for you to enjoy.



Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button







The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!