Dave's Music #16 - Peaky Blinders

 So I'm getting excited to watch the last season of Peaky Blinders. If you don't know about the Irish gang that it's based on, this is a great Wikipedia article of the history.  There is alway music in the series, and many times it challenges my tastes; though I need to challenge myself a few times. Click Here for a list of ALL songs on the soundtrack for Seasons 1-5  If I didn't need more support for our theme of "Good Music has No Expiration Date" we have nothing in this list released within the last two years, and two of the songs are good OLD traditional Irish songs, so let's get to it.

1) Red Right Hand by Vixy and Tony.  Let's start it off with an acoustic cut of the main theme I found while searching in Bandcamp.  I love to contrast to the Nick Cave original.

I think they are still playing around, and I ran into a more band video to watch... kind of bounces all over the place, but I love the costumes. 

2) The second song I so wanted in this playlist was when Grace breaks Tommy's heart with a sad Irish song.  Too my disappointment neither Bandcamp or Apple really had a any song that could match the passion and sadness shown by Grace.  The song is at the end of this video, but if you don't know the show take a few minutes and enjoy.


I found Jessica Brett who is from Tipperary Ireland, so it's perfect.  I've downloaded the music from the video and hope to pay her for it some day.


3 Clap Hands - Tom Waits.  Of course I had to buy this on Apple so know in embedded player.  Here's a cool fan video.  I love Tom, but some songs like this aren't immediately in my playlist; I'm more old school with his early stuff.  I'm going to grow to love this song because it's wonderful.


4) Ain't no Grave - Johnny Cash.  This incredible cover I owned before the playlist.  I found the audio quality of some of the videos online are weaker & more shallow compared to the than the real recording from the cd; so go buy it somewhere.


5) Rider to the Sea - Anna Calvi   Anna's music shows up a lot in the soundtrack, I was drawn to this instrumental, it's really captures the mood of the show.  I don't know much about her but per Wikipedia, "Anna Margaret Michelle Calvi is an English singer-songwriter and guitarist. Her accolades include three Mercury Prize nominations, one Brit Award nomination, and a European Border Breakers Award."  

Plus Google asked the question is she queer, which she answered: "It wasn't like, 'And now I'm going to come out [as a lesbian]'," Calvi said. "I think everyone who follows me knew anyway. I think my music has always been queer, and the people who needed that from me recognized it immediately.


6) A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall - Laura Marling  Before the playlist I was familiar with Laura's music, but maybe had six songs in the library and none from their soundtrack.  You know I'm a sucker for good Dylan cover. She is on bandcamp, but not her whole library.  Had to get this in Apple, and found a audio video with a picture of Tommy.


7) Catherine - PJ Harvey  Grunge isn't a lot in my library, and PJ is Polly Jean who Google described started her career screaming her mind but has moved to a thoughtful dark storyteller.  I tasted a bunch of her songs in the soundtrack and picked this haunting song.  Again if this bandcamp account is PJ, it didn't have the music I was looking for, so off to Apple and YouTube.  Suffice to say none of the rest of the songs were in Bandcamp, but they are in my library or they wouldn't be in this blog.

I did find a live cut, I think I should probably listen more to her.


8) God is in the House - Nick Cave Again since my tastes typically don't go to Punk, Gothic, Garage, and Experimental Rock too often, I was not familiar with this legend.  I'm enjoying the few I picked up, and this video is pretty close to the recording I bought.


9) What he wrote - Laura Marling  "cut out my tongue" is a line early in the song; yep that fits with Peaky Blinders.  I believe the picture they put in this video was after just a few choice killings.


10) Some like it Darker - Leonard Cohen  This probably should have been the sub-name of this playlist!  Another reason why after I read the soundtrack list I said this had to be done.  Leonard's last 3 releases were some of his darkest but best recordings.  This video is intense for just being a fan video.


11) Further on up the Road - Johnny Cash  Dang the violence is this song is perfect for the Peaky Blinders.


12) Soldier's Things - Tom Waits.  This song comes from the CD of one of my favorite Waits song, Swordfish Trombone.

First let's get you in the mood for it with this clip from the show:

And the classic Tom Waits lists of things in a song.


13) Danny Boy - Johnny Cash  Of course we need a bookend of Irish tunes to this playlist, and why not Johnny at the helm.


14) Red Right Hand - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.


And because that one didn't have any Peaky Blinders video, here was one they put out with a PJ Harvey cover of the song. (yes she shows up at track 7)


I hope you enjoyed this as much as me, Peaky Blinders is rumored to be released in Feb 2022.  Here's the trailer, only 9 million views.  Amazon Prime had the first two seasons, but it's mainly a Netflix show


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!