Dave's Music #17 Revisit DBT Andy Allo

Back when Dave's Basement Tracks was originated as an hour long radio show on Ocooch Mountain Radio, the premise was to highlight 4 songs as a deep dive into a CD and then fill the hour with either songs from artist touring the area or favorites that would maybe tie to the artist or just be fun.  Of course as a nod to Bob and the twist of the name from The Basement Tapes of him in the band; every show started with a Dylan cover or a Dylan song.  The radio show was one of the most listened to hour on the the radio station, but we really did lack paying sponsors to keep it afloat compared to the super power evil Spotify; Ocooch Mountain Radio closed.  But I kept all my playlists and many got documented in this blog.  What I didn't do back then was give you listening links, because I wanted you to tune in.  

Now that I've changed formats, I'm going to revisit them periodically and the first up bouncing off of a post that highlighted a TV show, to one whose artist is both a musician and actor on a Amazon Prime show Upload, that I truly love.  Andy Allo.  First let's give you the link to the previous post:


Plus a quick CD shot of what we'll be listening to:


Now before we get started... yes Andy was Prince's girlfriend.


But it's the show Upload that introduced me to her:


Here we go:

1) Desolation Row - Chris Smither  - While Chris is on Bandcamp the song I have in the library isn't available out there.  The studio recording video is here, but hate those links because they feel too much to me like ripping off the artist like Spotify.  I'd rather give you this one, though the studio has some great harmonies and slide guitar.


So maybe I should have checked out if the artist I was going to highlight was in Bandcamp or did I buy it in Apple. Oh well we'll get you some links to listen to, or go buy it on Apple here.  It's just a four song EP and all songs are presented here.

2) Shake your Memory - Andy Allo 



3) 10000 days - Andy Allo  Considering when they first released Upload, I think I've loved Andy for 10000 days now... ha.  I love the line about having a crush on you since the power ranger back pack.  In my youth I had a crush on someone new seemingly every school year, and none ever materialized to a song like this.  At least using this video vs. a embed song link is you can see she's a great actor.


4) Man In Black - Andy Allo  This is was the song that really had me hooked on her music.  Obviously she took a Cash song and brought it to the Black Lives Matter movement, but she had released in 2017 well ahead of her time.


5) One Step Closer - Andy Allo


6) Shake by Samantha Farrell  This of course tied into Andy's first song, but this comes with a deep Dave connection all the way back to MySpace.  This song also became a day care hit when Lori was driving them around the town. Sam has that whispering quality jazz voice that reminds of Phoebe Snow.


She also gets both an embed and a video because that little girl in the background is now a college graduate.


7) Derecho - Birds of Chicago  This group was on our suggestion list for the Great River Folk Fest, and of course I had to buy some of their music.  After Shake this one doesn't hide away a great groove.


8) Keep Movin' - Samantha Farrell  I remember this is really a radio show and I'm slowing the groove down but Sam keeps it moving.  The line "my feet won't fail me" is perfect placed.  Plus yes the blog's emphasis is reinforced that there is no expiration date on good music, this one was released in 2006 and it's still perfect today.


9) Villain - Eli Gardiner   As the radio show was released as the Great River Folk Fest had just started their 2020 Songwriter contest I was meeting new musicians and wonderful music and the next five songs were from that time.  Eli has become a friend I met during the 2021 fest.  This song is such a nod to Bob, it had to get played.


10 Kalina - Jake Shane   Jake ended up a finalist, though this song wouldn't be considered too folky for a music track.  Bob Dylan got shouted off the stage for sounding like this... ha.


11) Scars - Michelle Lewis  Michelle wrote such a sad song the my wife doesn't let me listen to it while she's around.  I did get a chance to talk to Michelle and she is such a fun person and would claim it has much hope from her Grandma's experience.  The song earned her a spot in the finals.


12) Old House - Jack Marion  - I think Jack submitted a great mp3 with a band during the song contest for the radio show.  I need to find out what he's up too, I really loved this song.  Here's his solo video:


13) Uccellino (Little Bird) - Amanda Pascali   You follow this blog long enough and you'll find out that Amanda stirs my gypsy blood. She made it to the finals and 2nd place finish in the GRFF Songwriter contest.  Sure it's out in Bandcamp, but if I get an opportunity to watch her perform I take it.  The song is personal and such a story... Disney should make a movie of it.




14) Hallelujah - The Sweet Water Wablers  I believe I bought their music direct from them, and they aren't on Bandcamp.  You put Lindsay Lou in any group and it shoots to the best.  I have a tremendous respect for Rachel Davis and Mary Erlewine was new to me... An incredible trio that gets together some time to play music when they aren't in their separate groups.  So far they have released one CD, I need more of them in my life.


15) Bring it on Home - Dave Mason  A classic favorite of mine when Jimmy Krueger was still in the band.  Wasn't sure what I would find to play on the blog.  I love this person used a recording from vinyl because I can hear that classic needle noise.


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

NEWS UPDATE Jan 20th, the 2nd season of Upload will be released Friday March 11th.  Now the question is when I'll finish it... my guess by Monday night March 14th.  Here's is a new recap of Season 1 to get you reminded or excited to watch it.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!