Dave's Music #25 DBT Revisited Gregg Allman Laid Back


Today we'll be revisiting the radio show version of Dave's Basement Tracks featuring Gregg Allman's Laid Back  Originally aired July 14, 2021 on the late Ocooch Mountain Radio. The show had a format of a deep dive on a CD and then fill the hour with music either related or what was on my mind.  Since the show didn't use voice tracks, now you will get the connections between the songs.  Sadly big artists aren't typically on Bandcamp, so I'll heavily rely on YouTube, and maybe shake it up a little.  Remember, I do own all these songs and if someday I decide to pay for licensing this blog might become a podcast.

1) Lay Down Your Weary Tune - Mary Black 

DBT always starts off with a little Dylan or cover; and since this show is really going to be a bunch of favorites, let's start it off with Mary.  I've might have said this before, but I sure missed liking the Dylan version that was stuck in 5 LP set as an unreleased song.  This video is very close to the studio version released.

2) All my Friends - Martina McBride

I'm finding as I search for songs, the boring video with a still picture and a song, or some incredible new finds, so I'll dabble in both.  First the late Gregg Allman IS IN Bandcamp, and I put his releases in my wishlist for future buys.  Rounder Records might have a great concert called All My Friends but to me it was always Laid Back. Here's the Scott Boyer song by Martina McBride from concert CD.

2) Multi Colored Lady - The Allman Betts Band

Wow when I looked for one of my all time favorite song from the CD, I found Gregg's son covering it.  Pretty sure I'll be learning more about this group.  The song in my days has turned up in many "Color" theme playlists.  Such a story, you can just ride with Gregg during the song.


Sadly when I went to look for a Tune Tuesday song, the above video was turned to Private... darn.  So because of that, this video will now be Tune Tuesday.  I'll leave the above out there in case they turn it back some day. 



3) Please Call Home - Gregg live 2011 


4) Will the Circle be Unbroken 

Now most of you would not think it was Gregg's version on Laid Back that convinced me this would be a song for my funeral.  Sure later the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band would be more known for this traditional hymn, but it is now so much a standard to close concerts, so here it is from the above mentioned concert and it feels like it's from someone in the audience because of the sound quality.


5) Your Sweet and Shiny Eyes - Bonnie Raitt

After a kind of sad, we needed a little story from Bonnie; and we need our picture taken with Fernando.


6) I'll be here at Closing Time - JD Souther

Keeping it romantic, I have all the studio versions of this song JD has released; but we're back again to the Music Fog video might have been where I discovered the song.  Oh how much I love the way JD writes and sings.  Simple yet complex, and lyrics that never fade out of style.  I love waitresses & baristas so that might be a playlist someday, we'll bring this song back for it.


7) I hope that you don't fall in love with me - Tom Waits.

I'm a live long romantic so staying in that vein, here's another story to end a night.  Actually I had a great teardown playlist to end most of our gigs with back in the Rose River days, I bet this was on it.  I know the JD Souther one is.  Now the model in this video is interesting; and likely wasn't born when Tom wrote the song.  A french model who also put a video out on a Jill Barber piece from her french CD just might show up again.


8) Mary's Eyes - Janis Ian

I do not remember how I feel it love with this song that Janis wrote for Mary Black the Irish singer, but it was reinforced when I changed the words to devote my love to Lady Mary in Downton Abbey.  It is a gem that for some strange reason Gaelic Storm has covered too



9) Right Next Door (Because of me) - Robert Cray

Dramatic shift in music, but not a shift in the absolute love of the song.  Romantic vein continuing in some of the greatest blues ever.


10) Supply and Demand - Amos Lee

Ok, I found a video that had to be brought to the blog.  The studio version is so polished like all good Amos Lee songs, and this one is raw, real, and acoustic highlighting what Rose River found was challenging harmonies.  Too funny this is the ONLY video that channel has... what a find.



11) Feeling Good - Nina Simone 

I'm feeling good ending it here like the show did.  I did take out a few songs so I can use them in future playlists.  


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp




The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!