Dave's Music #40 The Calico Stray

Shifting gears slightly for our Thursday edition, instead of a throwback to the previous radio shows I DJ'd, I wanted to share with you my new favorite find and maybe insight to them and my process of falling in love with music.  The day before Bandcamp Friday I was browsing Bandcamp's new releases by selecting folk and would click on intriguing CD covers.  Usually the first 30 seconds gave me a good idea what genre the music was; yes folk is so broadly used but that's ok; my tastes aren't narrow.  I did click on a couple as follows and wishlists.  Then I saw one with four women standing in red union underwear, and it got my attention to click on the release, and the traditional song "Prettiest Girl" started up and instantly I was clicking Wishlist and Follow.  But they intrigued me because there was nothing else on their page (at that point), so off to google who they were. I found an Instagram and a Podcast that they were connected to, found out they were SISTERS... More #BloodHarmonies that I so love and just shared a playlist!   I tucked the podcast away until the next opportunity to listen and to buy the release.  

Before I bought and listened the music, I saw that the podcast was about Philmont Boy Scout Ranch, and it really puzzled me. So I googled it, seems like a pretty cool place with a long history and incredible setting, but I was still puzzled how a podcast and sisters fit.  So luckily for me I had a chance to listen to the release podcast episode before Bandcamp Friday purchase.  Let's keep in mind, after Bandcamp Friday was over I had bought 3 new artists because of Adventures in Americana's podcast so maybe hearing a personal story makes you want to buy more than just stream their music for pennies in the tip jar.  So click the picture and give a listen, but I'll give you a couple of highlights:


Ok these sisters are very independent successful siblings raised on a farm in Nebraska, and Caitlin is an inspiration and pusher who both got them all to become leaders at Philmont, and to do this CD that honors the music they have enjoyed at the ranch.  Each had at least one lead on the CD and they have great talented husbands (except Claire - hint guys I'd start following her she's fun and a great singer***). We also learn in the podcast that Jimmy, Caitlin's husband, would be brought along on everyone's hiking trip as a backpack essential.

Now the music and the selections, I thought about how to present this and I was so excited that after I asked Caitlin to post liner notes she put a description to each song.  She still needs to put one on the release home page, but what she wrote is so perfect.  While it's a lot of cutting and pasting for me, my readers need to see this and get as excited as I am.  

A quick divergence, I should tell you that this past weekend was a music weekend... first Bandcamp Friday added over 174 songs to the music library, then I went to a huge sell off a vinyl collectors stash buying 20 vinyls, next I was importing and discovering Discogs only to become deep in my collection looking for long sought after vinyl.  Using the site the first 150 LP entered into their database are worth anywhere from $500 - $3,000 and I have many many more to key in. Quite a range, and I'm not sure if I'm going to start selling some or not?  During all this music, this release has been played through over a dozen times; and in the car I was explaining them to Lori.  She agreed that their song selection was great.

Let's get to the ladies; a calico stray is either a bright printed cloth on a journey or kitten?
Maybe one that came back from Philmont back to the farm at the end of the season, but for now they are FOUR talented sisters (does beg the question if plural Calico Strays would make more sense) who will be entertaining you: 

1) Crowded  Table (a nice start, really started country like with the electric guitar)

Originally done by The Highwomen - this song embodies the bond that us four sisters have. We adore community, conversation, and impactful work. Coming out of the pandemic, we eagerly open our doors and embrace the energetic "buzzing hum" of being in a crowded room amongst our closest friends and new acquaintances. If your picture is not already hanging on our wall, it's soon to be.

All four of us sisters sing the refrain on this track, and take turns on solo verses throughout.

To the Philmont Scout Ranch community - this song speaks to the strong bond created between staff members. That no matter how long it's been since we've seen each other, the door is always open and the support is unending.



2) Prettiest Girl  (the song that hooked me, I was ready to dance and note the main character is in a dress of Calico)
Google this tune and you'll find many verses, similar to the likes of "Shady Grove," it's an open-ended creative tune where new lyrics can be born.

We first heard this song done by 10 String Symphony, and were thrilled to cover it. We knew we wanted it to have an energetic, dance-like groove, and we debated having fiddle take the lead, as done in 10 String Symphony. In the end, we made it our own by highlighting the mandolin, and feel pretty good about the energy it throws at ya! It's a floor stomping vibe.

Claire (four sister in line aka "the baby"), rocks this track with her animated tone and confident, fun projection.

If you ever happen to be on a dance floor with the four of us, it's quite the experience - come on now, let's dance!

credits


Of course they did have a quick video on Instagram of Carly and Claire dancing while taping the song.  Click on the picture to enjoy, I did try to share the video on here but couldn't figure it out.  Plus I do own 10 String Symphony too so these women have great tastes.






3) Wayside / Back in Time  (oh a Gillian tune)

You know that special kind of smile, the inner smile, that you can feel when recalling a memory or a phase of life where everything shined like gold? That's this song. It gives off a semi-somber, yet happy reminiscent glow, as one longs for the "good ole days," and raises a glass to time well spent.

Done in varying styles by Gillian Welch, Chris Thile, and The Punch Bothers - this tune as many ways of speaking to it's audience. For our initial audience (Philmont staff community), it speaks to summer love, romantic flings, and gathering together after many years apart.

Caitlin (second sister in line), sings this tune with an authentic voice, pure of emotion and joy.

I'm pretty sure it was Caitlin who also wrote these liner notes, and she admits that this was her first time on mic singing lead.  While she talks all the time on her podcast, I totally get that it's definitely a rush to sing on mic and she did an excellent job on a great song.  While all the sisters sound pretty much alike (#Genetics) Caitlin has the most backwoods and less choir quality that brings the right voice to the song.


4) Me and my Uncle - (the first series of murders in the release)
Originally composed by John Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas, and popularized in versions by Judy Collins and the Grateful Dead, "Me and My Uncle," was an irresistible track for this album.

As young girls, our father would play us tunes on the guitar and piano daily, we would all sing along - mom too! This tune was always a favorite of ours (as well as Darcy Farrow). The storytelling is top notch and the piano gives it a saloon feel - like you're actually there, as a player in the heated card game, or a bystander watching the brawl unfold.

It was fun to break up the verses and each embody a different "character" in the story. The "Oooo" harmonies on the second half of each solo verse, gives it that western cowboy/cowgirl punch, but also accompanies the eerie and mischievous ending to the Uncle, as it were.

credits


The masked picture above is the persona they captured in singing this song; I love Caroline's evil eye she's giving the camera.  I do have to find Judy Collins covering this song, just doesn't seem like her.


5) Train Robbery - (pretty sure someone died along the way)

Levon Helm drives this piece in a unique, live style, and we wanted to highlight that talent. Another great story-telling piece, we loved the almost "wailing and competitive" harmonies on the refrain - definitely fun to tackle.

We also have a thing for Jesse James ;)

One of the husbands take a lead, and while he does ok I would have likely passed on buy the cd if this was dominant, sorry it's just you can't beat those sibling harmonies


6) Darcy Farrow - (yep someone dies in this one too)

On the podcast they thanked John Denver for writing, I pushed them to double check knowing that Steve Gillette who I've hosted at a house concert wrote it. Caitlin got it right in the liner notes, and truly Steve and I would love to thank John Denver for covering it.  Plus the tasteful banjo on this is perfect.

As a family, we've sang this song numerous times, gathered in the living room on snowy Nebraska winter nights. We always thought it was written by John Denver - turns out - he covered it as well. It was written by Steve Gillette and Tom Campbell in the 1960s.

Caroline (our oldest sister) has a voice perfect for this song. She brings a classically trained sound to the track, while presenting love, sorrow, and heart-ache via the lyrics. We swapped some of the location names for New Mexico towns, as an ode to Northern New Mexico history.

"We buried them together as the snow began to fall," hits home every time.


7) Dark as a Dungeon - (not dead yet but likely soon a disaster is anticipated)

As a current underground miner and previous staff member at Cypher's Mine - this tune was one for the guys. Dylan and Jimmy's harmonies mixed with a strong instrumental tempo, embodies the melodic drone of life as an underground miner, then and now.

It was an honor to cover this tune, originally composed by Merle Travis, and to show respect for American mining history.

The only other guy song.


8) New Mexico Mine Disaster (sadly another miner dies)

Jean Ritchie wrote and sang this haunting tune, originally titled "West Virginia Mine Disaster," in 1971.

Carly (third sister in line), requested to sing this piece - and I'm so glad she did! As a previous staff member at Cypher's Mine and now a mother to three boys, this song spoke to her for obvious reasons. Carly's confidence singing acapella and adding a historic flare to her lyrical pronunciations, made this one truly special. Again, we swapped out location names for New Mexico towns, to honor the mining history of the region.

The podcast talks about this song, truly Carly kicks this song out of the farm; and for rookies the recording is so clean and beautiful.


9) The Mountain - (another ode to dying in the mine)

Steve Earle classic, "The Mountain," completes this album's three track tribute to mining culture and history, as well as a tribute to bluegrass legends and founders.

Claire performed this piece nightly as a staff member at Cypher's Mine in 2014. Hence, it was only natural for her to take the lead. Combined with Carly and Dylan's harmonies, Claire guides this track with a dedicated heart and the voice of a hymn. The lead solo and the build that follows, was our favorite aspect of the song to create (beginning at minute 2:43 to 3:14).

Jimmy Lowe on fiddle completed this track. And for Philmont staff listeners, "I will die on this mountain, this mountain's my home." We can always go HOmE to those mountains, whether in body or in mind.

Anyone who follows this blog, knows I have deep respect for Steve Earle's music, these ladies nailed the song.


10) Confluence (a very pretty instrumental)

Originally written and composed by Dylan McDermott!

What started as simply the intro and outro for Silver On the Sage Podcast (link below), ended as a full length song. With the melody of a scenic backcountry hike and the itching energy of an upcoming adventure, "Confluence," is a song for Sunday drives, reunion photo slideshows, documentary scores, and the like!

The hints of that banjo I loved in Darcy Farrow, and I can hear hints of traditional tunes like Yarrington Town.  That's a great thing about music is that melody lines become familiar as friends who then surprise you as someone else.


11) Crossing the Bar (yep last song and pretty sure someone's dying)

Where I first picked "Prettiest Girl" as my favorite, I really kept coming back to this one also led by Claire and I believe this is my favorite.  Still if I played you a song to get you hooked, I'd still probably play the "Prettiest Girl" because this song is both beautiful and sad like a hymn to be sung at a funeral.  Actually I have grown so close to it that I learned it a put a quick video together.  I'm truly considering it an add for my funeral song list.  I'm not a sailor but the imagery of calm coming from the deep reminds me of my favorite places of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan; and of course meeting the pilot brings a calm ending like meeting a friendly companion.  After I shared my video on a friend who is a retire High School English teacher said the poem is a AP Lit assignment! Here's how Caitlin described it:

Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote Crossing the Bar in 1889, three years before he died. The poem itself is a metaphor for death. ‘Crossing the Bar’ could be interpreted to mean “crossing the sandbar” out into sea, transitioning from life into death. The Pilot is a symbol for God. Tennyson wrote that “The Pilot has been on board all the while, but in the dark I have not seen him. [He is] that Divine and Unseen Who is always guiding us.”

Our father introduced us to this song, and of course, we latched onto it immediately. Claire's lead gives it an ethereal feel, and the harmonies of angelic beings, allow the listener to consider the peace of death and "crossing over" to with ease.

Originally recorded in the loft of the barn on the old Nebraska farm, Claire and Dylan captured some amazing natural acoustics. We hope to share that original track via bandcamp soon!

I love the tease at the end of this liner note, a future release maybe a video?  You know we all want to see these sisters live or in a video.  BTW... I think I admire their father completely.



Of course because this song was really brand new to me I looked around for another cover for comparison, and found this... boy this song should have been in my Americana Hymn playlist.
I also found this article from Bluegrass Today no less about the "Story behind the Song" and got another cover I need to look up. 


UPDATE for Flashback Friday Sep 23rd.  Here's a cover I made of the song after I posted the original blog.


Now maybe this type of post will be a trend for Thursday, a day when I feature just one cd or artist.  Now artists if you want a feature, you need me to fall in love with you music, and what I love is scattered in all of my playlists.  Bandcamp availability, songs with stories (maybe a few good murders) and harmonies increase you chance for a feature.  (HA this is now a trend and I have a list of Reviews in a fancy page CLICK HERE)

Now that these ladies are in my library you might see a song or two highlighted in my featured theme playlist; I haven't done one on mining or mountains yet.

While I've been putting one click YouTube playlist for my posts lately, this music is not available on YouTube, so here's a one click Bandcamp link:


Hope you loved the journey ... remember to follow us and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

*** FF Update, Claire accepted my Instagram follow, she's as delightful to follow as her sister Caitlin.



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!