Dave's Music #55 Resonant Rogues - Straight to Tape at Bigtone Records

 


For review Thursday I scrolled through my library for what I've been enjoying and what I wanted to learn more about.  You thought I was writing this for you, ha.  I typically learn much more and walk away with a heightened appreciation of the releases I review.  Today I landed on The Resonant Rogues who quickly have been in FOUR Mixes to date.  Again, I don't exactly remember what lured me to their bandcamp page, but quickly I decided I was going to buy something.  I bounced around until I said heck with it, I'm buying everything they have released and took them up on their offer of a 15% discount.  Likely it's their eclectic writing style that has them hitting many more themes than just your average love or relationship songs. 

Part of my deep dive also is reading reviews.  I absolutely love them more after I read the article in The Bluegrass Standard by Susan Marquez.  She captured exactly what I thought of Sparrow, "Sparrow is the female half of Resonant Rogues. She only has one name, and it suits her. Pretty and petite, with blonde hair done up in a vintage style. Her big smile and comforting openness made me feel as if we’d known each other forever." She then explained how they met, and that my home state of Wisconsin is in the mix of the variety of home places, and how their international travel influences their music styles.

The next review that I found hit home to my listening to their music was in the Sleep Shaman Webzine  Again this hits on the styles merged together, in my description of their song Waiting for the Rain I simply state that it stirs my gypsy blood. 

The strength of The Resonant Rogues, apart from their near telepathic connection when performing, is the ability to surprise you and combine their talents, both in terms of musical dexterity and how well their vocal styles complement each other, Smith with the, pardon the pun, resonating baritone and Sparrow’s elegant, unique and quirky style that sets them apart from other acts. Not only that, but as the tracks rush by, in what feels like no time at all, they show that despite the old timey association with folk and bluegrass music, they are thoroughly modern. How many country songs would you expect to hear the lyrics ‘the tumultuous relationship between time and space’ sung by Smith

Oh my, I know I'm hooked, let's try to get you hooked.

The release was recorded at Bigtone Records on vintage 40's and 50's equipment.  I had to go look to see what that looked like, check out pictures they have on the Facebook page.

1) Dusk and Dawn

Notes say Written during Sparrow's mentorship at the John C. Campbell Folk School, an observation and meditation on liminal spaces.

lyrics

Definitely has deep thoughts but gently moved with the frailing banjo and flowing fiddle.


2) Deluge

Fitting I was I listening to this in a down pour and they wrote it in a rainstorm thinking about how clear cuts create mud slides.  The vocals are just a little under volume so we'll blame the ghosts in the vintage recording equipment, but it makes you listen closer and move to this up tempo song.


3) Victory Garden

I reached out them to find out if this was biographical about a person they know, but it's a story painted of a single mom making tough decisions during a time when women couldn't have their own credit cards, leases or lines of credit. Sadly, that was not that long ago as documented in the song and you know I love a good story penned and told in Four minutes.  The song holds together as prose recited too, just try it.

Well she learned to grow a garden back in 1943
when her mama tore the yard out in pursuit of victory
and as she worked and weeded, picked and processed, put away
well her mama sang this song to her nearly every day

Chorus-
Well as surely as the sun does light the morning in the east
I will work as many hours as it takes to let you eat
And as surely as the sun does paint the evening in the west
Well you are the darling of my heart, the treasure I love best

She met a man and married him in 1955
it was only one year later that their child did arrive
In ways the world was easier if a woman walked the line
but the heartbreak of a mother is a father who's unkind

The yelling years they rolled right up to 1962
when this worn and weary woman did just what she had to do
Driving out of town with just a suitcase and a song
and the sweet voice of that little girl kept her rolling right along

Chorus
Well as surely as the sun does light the morning in the east
I will work as many hours as it takes to let you eat
And as surely as the sun does paint the evening in the west
Well you are the darling of my heart, the treasure I love best


Well her daughter had a daughter in 1981
and just as the saying says, a mother's work is never done
Her daughter worked the night shift and the daddy was long gone
so she rocked that baby every night, and sang to her this song



4) Do You Have The Time?

Their notes said it was it written during the first week of lockdown.  "WELL DONE"... for those you who read a few blog playlists, we're starting to create a pretty good playlist that might show up gathered in a post by themselves.  This song features some great guitar licks, and my favorite Sparrow on the accordion.


5) Close Talking Man

Nobody likes this guy, though I think my innocent flirting is done politely and humbly.


Of course you all are saying DAVE you pick this because you are lazy and there are only 5 songs, why not pick one of their longer releases.  Sorry I wanted to stay to a release within the last 12 months if possible, and I might resemble that remark.  In addition, I get to seriously listen to these five songs very closely and multiple times, I win and I hope you give it a try.

You know I want you to fall in love with them more, so here's a few videos:

Boy I'd love to book this sound for a house concert.


And here's the opening song on the release


Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!