Dave's Music #90 New July Music

 


As the month almost comes to a close I thought I would dive into some of the new music I've been buying and listening to.  First if you have never read my blog, if it isn't in my paid (or contributed) music library on my computer; the song won't be shared in blog.  (Sorry Swifties out there ... I've never yet indulged myself into the popular Taylor but I do own one)


My library recently is growing with my extra time of importing vinyl, but for this blog post, we'll focus on my Bandcamp digital purchases.


1) Oh Deliverance - Vanessa Lively

What a sweet relaxing release with almost spiritual bond to make you slow down and rejoice in life.  I introduced to Vanessa's music through the Great River Folk Fest Songwriting contest, and she's good.  My favorite so far is this gentle song with guitar only, but the release has some great cello work on Running with Wolves.




2) Running with Wolves - Vanessa Lively

This is the song that also brings back the title theme back to a haunting end.

In the wild, we are free
Women and mothers choosing to be
Tracing lines of history
Carving out a path amid the trees

(chorus)
Running with wolves, the stories we tell
Come from a long line of women birthed in the well
We hear the whispers, the wild God within
We share this truth, our voice we lend

All these songs come from
The banks of the water, the wind as it hums
And the spirit runs
All along our spine, pulsing like a drum
(chorus)

We hold the truth that’s buried inside
(Truth is universal, this voice is our own)
We all release the tears we have cried
(Truth is universal, this voice is our own)
We will return as daughters to light
(Truth is universal, this voice is our own)
And we call the wild
Our home




3) Born a Worm - Dan Reeder

When Bill Poss encouraged Carsie Blanton to do the Worm song, she begrudgingly accepted but did offer it was written by Dan Reeder.  I love Dan and don't own enough of his short soliloquies, I fixed at least one more to the library.

  

While there is an audio video in YouTube of Dan's song, this Rainbow Girls video is too precious not to share, I believe I need to follow these women.  (Music I mean, I am a good boy and lucky dog)


4) Yodel Song  - Dan Reeder

Maybe I'm a lucky dog prone to yodeling.


5) Abbey, I'm Sorry I Stole Your Man - Sweaty Lamarr

When I first met Sweaty, she said she was working on a Jolene response from the other girl's perspective.  She did a great job.

He said you were crazy
Didn’t realize that the mania was his own making
Smoke and mirrors he can’t pass without a glance
Abbey, I’m sorry I stole your man

We said you were obsessed
When we saw you loping after clues you could get
Our happiness was ours and leave us be
It didn’t work with you but it worked with me
Now I understand
Abbey, I’m sorry I stole your man



6) It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels - Sweaty Lamarr

She kicks Cuntry into high gear with this cover.  Before you think I was being sassy, it's how Sweaty promotes herself on Twitter, and it's in the name of her release.




7) Dil Dil Pakistan - Henhouse Prowlers

If you have never heard of this bluegrass group that borrows global sounds into their music, listen up and maybe buy some of them like I did, and their influence for the song:

It felt natural to bring in guitar virtuoso and Pakistani-Chilean jazz authority Fareed Haque to play on this important song. Dil Dil Pakistan (Heart, Heart Pakistan) was originally performed by Junaid Jamshed, a cultural icon in Pakistan who died tragically in a plane crash in 2016. Performing this tribute to the beauty and soul of Pakistan in country was a profound experience, helping us see how much the people there love this song, especially the lyrics paying tribute to their home. We have grown to care deeply for Pakistan and all the wonderful people we met there.

The art piece, created by Pakistani artist H.S.A., represents the cultural diversity of Pakistan through the excellent craftsmanship, bright colors, festivals, art, an obsession with chae, music and famous historical buildings.



8) Love & Drugs - Pat Keen

My favorite and most innovative bass player for Humbird released a wonderfully earstatic beauty.  Get some good headphones on to enjoy this one.


9) When It Don't Come Easy (Patty Griffen cover) - Emily Scott Robinson

You all know how much I love Emily's music, and she has fine tastes in covers with her heart and money in the right place.

This Patty Griffin song feels like a beacon of light in the darkest of nights. "When It Don't Come Easy" has always stuck with me since I first heard it on a burned CD driving on a dark country road on a Tennessee night. I've been a Patty Griffin fan for nearly 20 years. Her music is always raw, reaching, and powerful to me. For me, this song is a life preserver cast out into dark and choppy waters to anyone you love who needs your help. We are living through the darkest times I have ever seen in my life, especially for women and minorities. As I watch healthcare and reproductive freedom under threat throughout the United States, I am terrified for our safety and freedom. I want to help fight for the human right to make empowered, whole and healthy decisions for our bodies, souls, and lives. This song "When It Don't Come Easy" feels piercingly true right now in these troubled times. It's an anthem for me.

A portion of the proceeds from the track will go to secure.actblue.com/donate/supportabortionfunds


Here she is playing it acoustic and solo... dang she's got such a smooth sound; boy I'd wish to get for a house concert.


10) Sweet Little Girl - Kelsey Waldon

Kind of fitting I ended up following on Oh Boy recording artists with another but if you didn't notice there are three in the blog because Dan Reeder is also on the label.  Kelsey put out this single release for her new album coming out in August.  Of course you all know I just saw her recently.




As I have lately this is backed up to a YouTube playlist without the Yodel Song.


Hope you loved the journey! You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!