Dave's Music #93 Sarah King - The Hour


It's been a while since I reviewed a single release, and how about the last one I bought the start of August.  July saw nearly ten hours of music added to the library so I do have a wealth to pick from, but Sarah's release is a compact set of five songs, and one "War Pigs" I had bought as a single earlier and was featured in a previous post.  Sarah has a hint of dark gospel in her writing which gives it a depth; let's explore it a little.

1) Poison 

This was the song that Carol Roth (Adventures in Americana) recommended to me and it got me hooked.   She also sat down with Sarah for an interview. Carol story is a great read and documents Sarah's life story from a controlling mother, to a wandering college and band life, to a rebirth after some tough losses.  The step into the dark while not deliberate was described as, 

I (Carol) wondered if the dark bent of The Hour was a result of her recent losses and the pandemic. Not so, says King: “Songs for me were always a way to deal with struggles. Pharrell’s ‘Happy’ is a great song but it drives me nuts. I don't want to hear how happy your life is and how good everything’s going. My songs have always been about playing with fire, temptation, doing bad things, doing things I know are bad for me, being mad at other people…I can't write a happy song! And I think that's okay—there are plenty of people who are great at that,” she adds. 

The first song I bought was the stripped down version, but this one is sweet with just the right texture to the heartbeat pound of the piano.  I'm pretty sure I know some of the people she wrote the song for, and the chorus has such a great line.

Inspired by AOC and women everywhere who deal with men who won't listen.

lyrics

What do you say to a man who won’t listen
I don’t want to waste my breath
You say I’m crazy, out of my mind
You ain’t seen nothing yet

Making excuses for your behavior
In the only way you can
No these reasons they don’t make you
A decent man

CHORUS
I gave you a taste of your own medicine
And you say I poisoned you

I know you won’t change cuz you can’t understand
So what else can I do


Cool she has this video out there too.


2) Nightstand

Here's that dark side... yes I was listening to the song enjoying the groove and heard it was "Music to bury a body by" ... yikes don't cross this woman.

He was born with the shadows on his mind
Searching for something he could never define
The world’s been trying to drag him down since the day he first arrived There’s a darkness a-reaching for my hand
I take the gun from my nightstand
Dancing to music to bury a body by


Really nice to see this video has over 20k views... intense.


3) Cold Hard Ground 

Sarah describes it's a folk song reimagined, and you know whenever Mama tells you anything, you listen.  In Carol's interview, Sarah describes how this song came to be:

Compared with the other songs, “Cold Hard Ground” flies under the radar. It plays with the classic country theme of anticipating death, but instead of reaping eternal rewards, the narrator is simply looking forward to the grave itself: “When I die, I know just what awaits me / I’m free from a world that betrayed me. / The cold hard ground is gonna hold me.” I ask King if she purposely twisted that tradition. “It wasn’t conscious, but a lot of my songs come that way; if I’d tried that, it wouldn't have worked out. ‘Cold Hard Ground’ is an outlier but it's almost what makes the record, like it kind of ties everything together.” 

The way it was created was unusual too. “I’ve never written something one day and recorded it the next, but this one just tumbled out of me,” King recalls. “I was staying in this budget hotel by the studio; I was spending so much on recording I had to save money everywhere else. While brushing my teeth I saw a grain of sand roll across the bathroom tile. And I thought of the line ‘The bad seed’s rolling across the floor.’ 

“I ran over to my guitar on the bed, toothbrush in my mouth, to finish the song. I wasn’t ruminating on anything—it just came out—but when I looked at it afterward I was like ‘Wow, I'm really tired.’ Tired of living. Not in a bad way like I was about to take myself out, but being in the studio’s a lot of work. It was great, but it was like this whole exhausting year culminated in that experience. To me it's kind of a funny song,” she adds, cheerfully macabre, “because it's just like, the end. You’re done. That song is just about being fucking done.” 

It’s almost like non-secular gospel, I offer. King gets it, and we bond over our nonbeliever love of gospel music. “One of my favorite tunes is ‘Wayfaring Stranger,’ about getting ready to die and go meet God,” she says. “I don't believe that, but I love singing it. Gospel songs are so good. We think we have it bad; we think we struggle—we don't know shit about struggling. People wrote those songs hundreds of years ago when life was really tough, and the only one they could bring their worries to was God.”






4) Not Worth The Whisky

He might not be worth the whisky or the jail time, but the release is worth buying for this song.  (Get off of Spotify and support music for a change!)  Love the percussive clapping and notes of guitar riffs.

CHORUS
Now you’re greeted by a day you knew would come
Starin down everything we both know you done
And I can only be good for so long
You done me so wrong
You’re not worth the whisky

I tried to hold you
Back when I told you
I won’t find myself to blame
If you set yourself aflame
You walked into the fire
I found you a liar
Your blood won’t be on my hands
Cuz you’re not a gentle man


Too funny I remember writing in the Vivian Leva and Riley Calcagno review that they need a good murder ballad, they should contact Sarah.  Likewise, we need her to find happiness maybe in one song a release?  Ha well it's not in this one.  Love that this video is over 69K views.


5) War Pigs 

This song was featured in my War What is it Good For playlist and while I shared it last time, this is why Sarah covers the song; I don't think I can say it better.

20% of all proceeds goes to the Green Beret Foundation.

Black Sabbath's “War Pigs,” about the hypocrisy of war, has only grown in meaning since Sarah first started covering it when touring around Georgia and the South with her band Ophir Drive in the early 2010s. King lost her first husband, a soldier, to suicide after a struggle with PTSD. His death came a few years after their split over her realization that her dreams and his military aspirations were at odds.

Recording a new stripped down acoustic cover of “War Pigs” has been one way for King to deal with the trauma of losing him, and the regret that she couldn’t do more. “I will forever live with the thought of ‘Maybe I could have just waited,’ or ‘Is any of that my fault.’ We remained close friends up until about a year prior to his death, and I will never know the answers. I know my life is better for him having been in it.”




Wow... this woman was a great recommendation to add to the library, thanks again Carol.

And YES... a one click playlist to listen in YouTube, and Sarah is a modern artist with many followers in that bloody Spotify, plus I follow and correspond with her on Twitter.  (Right I'm still not on Tik Tok and won't go look there... wait dark murder ballads? fits Twitter better) 


Hope you loved the journey! You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!