Dave's Music #105 Bandcamp Friday Sep 2022

 



So I make a big deal about Bandcamp Friday, which is a successful media company (yes Spotify they make money) giving back to musicians since the pandemic started.  

After you buy 9 hours of music like I did, I don't have enough time to listen to everything, but I have been feasting on a few songs and have "Hearted" a bunch for reference and maybe a future playlist.

So really this is just a snippet and more of an inside to my mad flurry of buying music.

1) Trouble in the Pines - Drayton Farley

Found him on Twitter, and I though it was odd he didn't have a preview turned on for most of his new stuff (I bet he has Spotify so that's even weirder), so I found a single to buy.  Nice dark song, I'm sure I'll come back to listen to more and look more of his music.


Nice.. now I get a video too:


2) Kaibigan (Letter to Seafarer) - Siena Christie

I was caught in a lie telling people I owned everything Siena has released, I found I missed two songs and I FIXED that yesterday.  This song has her beautiful delicate voice over gentle prayer.  And Siena has such a large heart to write a song and give back:

This song was written to commemorate the launch of the Pacific Coast Coalition for Seafarers, a new organization devoted to advocating for the rights and wellbeing of seafarers.

100% of proceeds from this song will go to Kamusta Kababayan, a project of the PCCS that supports seafarers through letter writing and care packages. Find out more about this project here: www.facebook.com/KamustaKababayan

The sentence in Tagalog that appears in the lyrics, "Nawa'y ang karagatan pumatnubay at ligtas kayo kaibigan," means "May the ocean carry you safely, my friend."




Or rest inside this beautiful video:


3) Too Many Churches - Sofia Talvik

I don't think I can describe this better that she put in her Bandcamp description, and while she also has that clear voice like a Joan Baez, it's impactful to read the lyrics, and I do so love when artists take time to add lyrics to Bandcamp:

Too Many Churches is a timely song about pro-choice. Swedish songstress Sofia Talvik is peeking through the looking glass at the recent events in the U.S with the eyes of a spectator with a different perspective.

lyrics

You know Maria was just sixteen
Or maybe fifteen and a half
When someone broke into her bedroom
And tore her world apart

Maybe it was a total stranger
Or someone that she knew
Anyway he wasn’t there to hold her
When that baby’s due

And you can talk about salvation
And what the Bible has to say
But there’s too many churches and too little love
In this world today

And do you remember Fritzl
He had a baby with his girl
She was locked into the basement
For years that was her only world

Maybe it’ll be the next messiah
Or he’ll invent the atom bomb
Anyway it’s not a call that you can make make
For someone else’s womb

And you can talk about salvation
And what the Bible has to say
But there’s too many churches and too little love
In this world today
too many churches and too little love
In this world today

And when I’m driving through the country
I see houses falling down
People living under bridges
But there’s five churches in that town

And you can tell I don’t believe in
That there is a God above
But I believe there is compassion
We are capable of love

And if you talk about salvation
About a beating heart
But you’re acting out of power
to tear us all apart
And you can talk about salvation
And what the Bible has to say
But there’s too many churches and too little love
In this world today
too many churches and too little love




4) Someday We'll Linger in the Sun - Gaelynn Lea

I know I have been taking my time to listen to Gaelynn Lea from Duluth who took the music world like a raging storm off of Lake Superior when she won the NPR Tiny Desk Contest.  We'll be seeing her in Duluth over Labor Day so I wanted to get more familiar with her music.  So how about the song she won with:




5) Nightflyer - Allison Russell

Another artist we'll see up in Duluth, and while I didn't recognize her name I did know the other band she is in Birds of Chicago. (Yes they have hit the blog already.)  Quickly I've "Hearted" three songs including this one, and maybe I choose wisely because there is a great video released.




6) Who's Yellen Now? - Dessa

Definitely more of a diversion in music styles for me, but Dessa will be in Duluth and I wanted to hear her style.  I did buy a couple songs, this woman has some vocal chops.  I look forward to seeing her live.



7) Goin' Go Back South - Irondequoit Dodge

A cool trio that I somehow came across from Austin TX, nice little 5 song EP that their song "Store Brand" will be in the Food Volume 3 playlist when I get around to finishing it.


8) Lullabies Lost - Undlin & Wolfe

Ok somehow I missed until recently that Siri Undlin's previous band to Humbird was a duo, and now I own I think everything Siri has released.


Can I just apologize... I'm not sure this would make me fall asleep, I would be just mesmerized by Siri's singing... the BC link is clearer, but it's fun to see Siri over 7 years ago; she's come a long way.


9) Too Tired to Fly - Samantha Farrell

Another artist that I believe I own everything she has released. and if you look only at this blog Siena, Siri, and Sam... about the things their music has in common is that I own it, they are all top notch writing, and vocally they are top notch in their niche ... fun that all their names start with S?


10) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - Jason Edward

I met Jason through the Great River Folk Fest songwriter contest and he put a fun little 5 Song EP... I'm sure more songs will show up in the future.  Great writer.


11) Souls Without Maps - Joseph Huber

My find over at the Great River Folk Fest, and now I own two albums from him.  I picked a song that almost felt it was a Greg Allman song from his solo days, and you all know how much that album is in my top list.


I got lucky, they have a video out with the trio that was at the fest.  I love both the studio and the live versions, and of course like my blog theme... this is not his most recent release but #MusicHasNoExpirationDate it just sits on the shelf to be loved by someone again as brand spanking new.


12) Know Your Worth - Tiffany Williams

I would say Tiffany is the find of the BC day.  I had found her maybe through a follow or recommendation on Twitter (yes I'm spending more time there for music); and had bought her I'll be Back Soon EP for one of the better "I'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" covers I've heard in awhile.  This album really is destined to be one of my reviews.  Sorry I'd love to have a video of her singing one of the songs from the release; so I picked one of the three songs I quickly "Hearted" in my brief listening.


Here's a one click YouTube Playlist, and yes even if there isn't a video above I've added the audio only video.  I would really love if you do venture over to buy a song in Bandcamp, Follow me there, and give me a shout out that I helped you discover new music.


Stopping at 12 is lazy and I missed so many other I bought on Sep 2nd Bandcamp Friday.  I'm sure the cream will rise to the top for future playlists.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp @newmusic

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!