Dave's Music #133 Emily Scott Robinson - Built on Bones

 


If you read the last Nov Bandcamp highlight you know I was wow'd by Emily Scott Robinson's "Built on Bones."  Of course people familiar with the blog know I really respect this woman's songwriting and the clarity of that voice, she has graced six of our previous playlists, including a review of "American Siren" back in April.  Back then I just missed running up to the Twin Cities to see her, and now I'm sad I'm not planning the trip in March to see her tour in Twin Cities because the place is a standing venue.  God I hate those places, I need to get her to the Pump House or my house concert.  Also in August I had a great time to connect to Siena Christie while she visited for the Great River Folk Fest, and I found out that Emily has been a great friend and mentor to Siena.  Now I really love this woman.  

Ok now that we've got the introductions out of the way, let's look at this six song gem.  The title track, two versions of Old Gods, a lullaby and a closer.  Off hand it doesn't look like it would this be overall impressive, but I'm hoping you all take the time to read on and of course listen.


Usually I'm great at reading liner notes, but this was Emily and I knew I would love the music.  Quickly I heard the three voices and you know I'm a sucker for harmony let alone from skilled women.  Bought and sold, I clicked and bought the album and moved on to the rest of my Bandcamp Friday buys.

Now that I'm slowing down and diving deeper into the album it's hitting home this is special.  Original songs that mine the spirit of the witches of Macbeth.  Now we're lucky to have a national quality level Shakespeare fest in Winona, but we typically go to the comedies, plus my wife teases me, "didn't you read that in school?" Nope.  So all this is kind of new to me, but I searched out more to understand.   First the liner notes:

“Built on Bones” is a collection of six original songs for the Witches of Shakespeare’s Macbeth. Originally commissioned as a live piece for theater ... It features Emily Scott Robinson (writer/composer), Alisa Amador (NPR Tiny Desk Contest Winner 2022) and Lizzy Ross (of duo Violet Bell) as the three witches singing through the tragedy of Macbeth in three-part harmony.

The record begins with “Built on Bones,” the prophesy delivered by the Witches foretelling Macbeth’s rise to power and subsequent death. Next is “Old Gods,” the love song and theme for Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, sung by the Witches as the two lovers reunite after battle. The third track is “Double Double,” a fresh, sexy and celebratory version of the infamous spell cast by the Witches.

The B side of the record is darker as the machinations of the Macbeths unravel in the final acts of the play. “Sleep No More,” is sung in a circle around Lady Macbeth as she exists in a waking nightmare of her own hallucinations and the Witches prepare her for the afterlife. “Old Gods” is then reprised in the minor key as Macbeth grieves his wife’s untimely death in the famous “tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow” soliloquy. “Men and Moons” serves as the epilogue to the play. The Witches are joined on stage by other women characters— Lady Macbeth, Lady Macduff, and the Crone— to sing a Celtic prayer and blessing song about the cycles of life, death and rebirth.

Artist’s Note: It is important to know that Shakespeare wrote Macbeth under the reign of King James I of England, a ruler who sanctioned brutal and violent witch hunts and trials across his kingdom, imprisoning and murdering countless women. In line with the fears and stereotypes of that time, the Witches of Macbeth are written as ugly, hag-like, and scary creatures— a portrayal that has persisted in popular culture for hundreds of years. We thought it was time for a powerful rewrite of these Witches as the healers, seers, and creators that they are. Today we are still in a battle for the sovereignty and safety of the bodies of women, non-binary, and trans people. Through these songs we declare that our power and magic cannot be controlled or snuffed out by a violent patriarchy of fearful men.
 

credits


Next I searched out some reviews of the piece.  The Tennessean quoted Emily:

"We convened a witch coven to make [this recording]," says Robinson, with a half-joking, half-serious tone. She was a longtime fan of world-traveled, Nashville-based instrumentalist and producer Zdan, whose sound she describes as "dark and gritty." After a long phone conversation in which the producer "immediately" understood the record's concept, she was tasked to helm the project.

Amador, Robinson and Ross join forces for "beautiful" three-part harmonies on the EP that are grounded by Zdan's "vibey, Tom Waits-inspired" production choices.

In the Boot's review I learned it also include Emily on stage... cool but I hope she keeps her focus on songwriting and recording.

Built on Bones came to life after Robinson became a part of Telluride Theatre's adaptation of Macbeth, acting on stage in the role of Hecate — the leader of the three witches — and serving as musical director for the entire production.

“In the spring of 2021, I was asked by my friend and theatre director Colin Sullivan to compose music for Shakespeare’s Macbeth," Robinson says. "The Witches of MacBeth are traditionally cast as scary, ugly and evil creatures to which we attribute the darker magic of the show and Macbeth’s descent into madness. Our theory was this: What if the Witches were instead beautiful, tempting, sexy, powerful and playful? What if the Witches held the capacity, just like Macbeth, for both light and dark magic? After all, in the time of King James I and the witch trials in England, the ‘witches’ targeted by the Crown were not supernatural beings — they were folk healers, spiritualists and teachers."

Let's listen to the music:

1) Built on Bones

While other reviewers said the sound quality was Tom Waits inspired, I'm hearing a Daniel Lanois quality like one of my favorite "Oh Mercy" and for some reason I never heard it before but Emily's voice is similar to my friend and excellent musician, Sofia Talvik.  Quickly you hear the other ladies building the chorus for a great eerie start.  Of course, Emily a day before this post went live posted a story behind this song, I just have to share it.  If she does any more like this, I promise to keep adding them to the post after publication.



Yes we get a video... 


2) Old Gods (Theatrical Version)

"Sung as the two lovers reunite after battle" This song was originally released on "American Siren", and I didn't realize that, it sounds old and traditional.


Here's the video that was released of the song during "American Siren"  it has two other sirens singing with her.  A great time to contrast the production, no cello intro but three voices hauntingly coming together and each vocalist takes a lead.  The pace is slow and instruments are introduced gently.  Just wait there's another one to listen to coming up... 


3) Double Double

Yes this is a song that uses a line from the play and when I told my wife it was "Double, double..." she finished it without me stumbling through it.  Here's how the Tennessean described it:

However, for the singer-songwriter, the blues groove in the rhythm of some lines directly sourced from the play appears in some songs. Notably, on the previously mentioned "Double Double," the witches' recognizably iconic chant "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble" is a hook in the chorus.

While I avoided Twitter for years, (tried it and it bored me) I'm back there trying to promote this blog.  It's where I saw Emily tweeted that this song has also gone somewhat viral on TikTok.  Dang this world is weird, but Shakespeare is global, and of course I love the pump you get out of this song.




And this is the one they put the best video out for to date rich with witchcraft imagery, shadows, silhouettes and beautiful women.  Yep I think I'm a few of the views already, maybe it's time to thank Oh Boy records if you helped orchestrate this.


4) Sleep No More

Forgetting this was for the Macbeth play, this could be the sirens in Oh Brother Where Art Thou, I might easily become a toad.  Yes it's incredibly creepy lullaby with a heartbeat bass running though it.


ADDED Nov 14th... as new videos come out related to this release, I'm going to add them.  Enjoy but be careful not to fall into their spell.


5) Old Gods (Minor)

Minor key, and even more solemn production.


6) Men and Moons

Pulling it all together, and nice folky feel almost a Ken Burn's Civil War quality.


And we get what a taste of their tour will sound like:


Wow ... if the God's who run the Grammy's have any sense, they'll find this album for recognition.   Here's the one click YouTube playlist:


All my Reviews are both for you and me as I learn more about the artists when you slow down and listen.  Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!