Dave's Music #131 Bandcamp Friday Nov 2022

 

The secret is out that I might be a little crazy about buying music in Bandcamp ever since they take a day a month and waive their fees, paying forward to the artist for their effort and craft.  Unlike that evil Spotify that doesn't pay a fair wage for streaming and dumps the subscription money back into Podcasters like Joe Rogan and Barrack Obama.  

So if I'm going to ride my high horse, I'm going to also walk the talk and buy music.  Yesterday I added 121 songs or 8 hours of music to the library that I PAID for so SUCK it Apple and Amazon Music, Bandcamp is my choice to spend money.

Musicians might be agreeing but they'll be polite, fans are pretty prevalent in those platforms and A-Hole bookers have used Number of Streams as a basis for hiring someone.  Boy it's a tough industry.  

I've done these Bandcamp highlight posts in Oct, Sep, Jul, May 2022 all since I've retired.  Yes I like to say that some retirees decide to buy toys like 2nd/3rd guitar, boat, or sports car; I've decided to slowly buy a tremendous library of music.  At time of posting outside of the cds and vinyl that I haven't imported yet, I have over 23,000 songs and 61 days of music in the library; which is the backbone of this blog.  If I don't own it, I won't post about it.

In this playlist I'm going to do 30 songs that are represented by 26 releases; keep in mind my library increased by 121 songs so this is aggressively 25% of the purchases.  Yes, the math does work out that 4 songs in this release are second and third songs from releases I bought.  Too good not to share or be in a playlist I really listen to and will be back to for years repeats are at the end.

1) Old Gods - Emily Scott Robinson

Let's start it off with Emily Scott Robinson singing with Alisa Amador and Lizzy Ross (from Violet Bell).  She put two versions of "Old Gods" on the release and made me at first wonder why, then I listened.  Oh my. Next I knew the song, a cover or a traditional I thought... google it only to find I had reviewed it on her "American Siren" to which I commented "Always worry about old farts playing tricks on you, and this song has melody that makes you think she just might be singing an old traditional song."


2) Alice Louise Cotton - Jenny Dragon

I found this band with a Bandcamp search of new Folk releases, and this Chicago based group released the album on Halloween.  Sarah (one of the two female lead singers) said on my Facebook post, "this album has been on the shelf since before COVID and all the things that happened in the before and in-betweens (relocations, babies, life-i-ness...)"  So for Halloween how about a fantastic multiple murder ballad.


3) On the Range - Libby DeCamp

I found this song on Mike Ward's Bandcamp collection, and I have tremendous faith in Mike's taste in songwriting.  Such a fine song, her home on the range is much more real and smelly than the traditional song.  Nice banjo picking from Libby as well.

One dirty peek, and it’s all we need
A whiff from the trucks as they pass
Meet at the gate of anaerobic fate
Just how long will this last?


4) Missouri River Bridge - Emily Rose

We met Emily at FARM and I wanted her voice and her songs in the library, so BC Friday is perfect.  This song is a great story song, and you know I love a good story, and I believe she played this song in one of the showcases I saw her.  And to give the ending away.... 

But I could not bare to say
The only bridge your daddy built was the one he used to walk away

Your daddy was a builder of many things
I only wish he would have built himself some wings


5) Margaret 1956 - Michael McNevin

Another song I found from Mike Ward's collection.  I love Michael's voice, and it reminds me a lot of Slaid Cleeves.  It took ten seconds to know I wanted this song in the library too, and here's Michael's description:
A ’day in the life’ song for Margaret, then a 17-year-old teenager in 1956, living in the Mission District of San Fransisco. Cutting school, she buys a plane ticket to LA, spends the day on a Hollywood street corner, hoping to be discovered. The same corner where starlet Lana Turner was discovered, she goes home at the end of the day, with no regrets. Six years later Margaret returns to the area as a wife and mother of four boys, living a different life than before. They live down the street from the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, where she becomes a sidewalk fan of the big parade. A Mother’s Day tribute, I love and miss you mom.

lyrics



6) What Really Matters - Arielle Silver

Another person met at FARM and I wanted to added more of her voice and writing to the library.  The production of the song has FM Single all over it... love the chorus

Flask of whisky, stash of pot
Letters from a lover that you should have long forgot
When your tidal wave of tears turns to laughter
That’s when you know it comes down
Down down down down down down down
To what really matters


7) Paper Boats - Sean Staples

This song following Arielle's song is because I found Sean in Arielle's Bandcamp collection.  I only have 40 followers, but I do browse their purchases because we have common tastes in music.  I listened to it and it quickly sounded like my kind of music so I bought it.  Plus Arielle got me to love her more when she dropped a comment on the Facebook post I made early in my buying day.  Interaction is key in both our lives and in the world of algorithms.  The more conversation the more eyes balls of your friends and family see it.  Why not have the conversation over music than the dreaded politics?  I thanked her for following my Bandcamp page, and found Sean on hers and she said look up Lisa Bastoni because he plays on most of her music.


8) Across the Great Divide - Lisa Bastoni

So I listened to Arielle and searched Lisa on Bandcamp to find this awesome cover of Kate Wolf's song, and soon found out I will need more of Lisa when she writes this about the recording:

Recorded as a tribute to both Kate Wolf and Nanci Griffith, September 2021.

I am so moved by the story of how “Across the Great Divide” ended up on Nanci Griffith’s Other Voices, Other Rooms tribute album. It turns out that Nanci and Emmylou Harris were hanging out on New Year’s Eve 1990/1991, talking about the wonderful Kate Wolf and how her songs were not being recorded - in the liner notes, Nanci wrote: “If you don’t record the songs, they just die, they go away, no one sings them. Emmy said the most marvelous thing, which was that songs need to be sung in new voices in places that they’ve never been heard before, in order to stay alive and have new life.”

Can’t you just picture Emmylou Harris and Nanci Griffith hanging out on New Year’s Eve? Two of the greats, wrapped in soft blankets, remembering their late friend Kate, laughing and crying and singing by a wood stove, possibly with giant goblets of wine? I wish I could have been there! Nanci and Emmylou’s version of “Across the Great Divide,” has sent me on a path to learn more about Kate Wolf’s life and work. I’m honored to lend my voice to this timeless song. 

lyrics


9) My Proud Mountains - Session Americana

I barely had time to absorb and decide to buy more when Arielle was saying said in another comment she loves this game, look up Session Americana; and I did.  I found they posted a cover of a Townes Van Zant song for an Appaloosa Tribute Record.  Boy I'll have to look it up... Love Townes and this song wasn't that familiar to me, and it's great.


10) Workingman's Blues #2 - Lisa Bastoni

Before we move off of Arielle's influence while I have a thread of covers going.  I looked at the other releases and Lisa Bastoni and saw this Dylan cover in the mix.  That made my decision to buy her 2019 release before the 2021 or 2017 release.  More on her later, but this moved my Dylan cover playlist to 38 songs and its beautiful rendition, very tasteful use of organ AND tack piano.  I don't think Bob lives off of rice and beans.


11) Badlands Honeymoon - Long Mama

Back to my own wishlist for Long Mama's very recent release.  It was in my timeline from a few friends and I really didn't know this Milwaukee based group.  One of the timeline shares was from my musician friend Erik Koskinen (Yes he's hit the blog seven times) who had produced the record and adds instruments through out the album.  I can see many listens of this release and maybe a review.  Love the scary honeymoon tale:


12) Friends - Buffalo Nichols

A beautiful two song release from a guy who is going places, and I just smile knowing I saw him in the bar at the Trempealeau Hotel; lesson never miss an opportunity to see someone you don't know too well on an odd night during the week.  This is the second song and those strings... not your typical blues.



13) Bang at the Door - Donna Herula

Keeping it in the blues groove how about an award winning new friend I met at FARM.  The only song I could find on Bandcamp was on a compilation cd.  It's the title cut from "Best Acoustic Blues Album" I know eventually I'll meander over to her website and buy it.  So much on Bandcamp to buy and you know I love these embedded links to share. 







14) Magnitude - Lauren Oxford

Now here's some gentle songwriting, on the wishlist from a recommendation from my friend Siena Christie.  I do love when an artist gives you their inspiration in each song on BC.

The first and only breakup song I ever wrote, and hopefully will ever have to write. The online community of poets I was active in at the time was really into comparing breakups to thunderstorms, but being long-distance, ours felt much more like an earthquake.

I'm very grateful this relationship happened––it taught me so much and I really grew as a person because of it. My ex and I are both super happy now, and I wish them nothing but the very best.


15) I Can't Make You Love Me - Genevieve Racette

Ok how about following a great break up song with a fantastic cover that Bonnie Raitt made famous, right on thread. I'm seeing Genevieve in November and wanted to hear more of her before the concert.  Plus the release had the 39th Bob Dylan cover for my personal playlist.


16) One Foot - Deidre McCalla

Another voice I met in a late night showcase, and really was intrigued by her music and her comment that her album is in Grammy consideration.  I started listening to selections and was impressed with such a solid mix of tasteful studio work, and I could hear some of those words that impressed with just a solo guitar and voice.  This song will get you swaying in your chair or around the kitchen if you are cooking.  I don't know much about her music yet, but this playlist will have more of her songs, because it was too hard to decide on just one song.  Wikipedia told me she released her first record back in 1973, and you know me well enough... it is now on my Discogs Wantlist.





17) Sober Cure - The Deadly Gentlemen

One I found in a search and the album art drew me in.  I really didn't look into them too much.  I will later for now I took them up on their off of a free song; and it's good.


18) Blood of the Storm - Rob Klajda

Not sure how I had a few songs from this collection in my wishlist, but I bought this one and it's great.  When I went to find out more about Rob, I found he died much too early at 56 in 2017.  Such great use of an accordion in this song.


19) Garden of Sorrow - The Bargain

I know this group is tight with a sound that I love; and when on Bandcamp Friday I get an email that they released an album on that day; I checked it out.  It took so little time of previewing the first song that I was reaching for the Buy Digital Album link.  Their sound is honed through a love of the same music I was raised with, so why wouldn't all of it be great; and it is.


20) River of Gold - Track Dogs

I love when I add new followers in Bandcamp, and when Pete Kavanagh started following me, I found this gem from Spain on his list.  I don't know much about them yet, but I will follow them and see where it leads.  For now let's hear about the conquistadors, and you know how I love songs telling about history when they are so well done like this:

The song relates the story of a hapless 15th century conquistador from the Spanish town of Trujillo in Extremadura, birthplace of the legendary Francisco Pizarro. Following Pizarro to pursue fortune and adventure in the new world and a futile quest for the mythical gold of lore he ends up losing everything, his family mourning the loss of their son.


21) The Wrong Side - The Mascot Theory

Erik Kjelland's band is leaking out singles, and I just scoop them up because they are tight gems from this Wisconsin band.  It does rock up the playlist a little sometimes and that's a good side of music too.


22) Lost in the Harbour - Tom Waits

Speaking of leaking out singles, whoever manages Tom's library has been doing the same thing.  I usually give them a listen, check the library if I have them already, and then decide will I listen to it again.  Then I buy it.  Hey for a buck, why not.


23) Morning Train - Mother Banjo

Mother Banjo is Ellen Stanley who is such a great soul who might love music more than me; at least it is her profession to play, to broadcast, and to promote music.  Recently I donated to her KFAI Radio Station because my experience with the Ocooch Radio I knew the amount of work that is required for independent music stations, let alone the BMI & ASCAP licensing fees.  Plus she's the new leader for FARM.  Truly she's heavier Saint than Sinner as far as I can tell, plus she put out a great John Prine cover.


24) You Don't Rub Me Right - Goatroper

Yes my "Treats" album was bought by Carol with Adventures in America and she directed me to buy this song.  It's got country standard written all over it; I would try to rub right if I was that guy.  Carol wrote up a great piece in their site on the song and the band.  Any band named after a Jerry Jeff Walker song has to be pretty good.


25) Seeds - Julian Taylor

Carol also pointed me to Julian's music, and he is new to me being another Canadien from Toronto.  I picked this song because I'm sucker for the seed and tree imaginary used in the song.


26) Mary the Contrarian - Mercy Choir

Michael Rivers bought the "Treats" cd and directed me to this wonderfully eclectic music.  How could not share a song with the best title.


27) Sleep No More - Emily Scott Robinson

Oh my these sirens with the stepping heartbeat.  I should probably give you the back story to this release from their Bandcamp page:

“Built on Bones” is a collection of six original songs for the Witches of Shakespeare’s Macbeth. Originally commissioned as a live piece for theater by director Colin Sullivan, the song cycle was recorded in May 2022 in Nashville with producer Brandy Zdan and is set to release fall of 2022 on Oh Boy Records. It features Emily Scott Robinson (writer/composer), Alisa Amador (NPR Tiny Desk Contest Winner 2022) and Lizzy Ross (of duo Violet Bell) as the three witches singing through the tragedy of Macbeth in three-part harmony.

The record begins with “Built on Bones,” the prophesy delivered by the Witches foretelling Macbeth’s rise to power and subsequent death. Next is “Old Gods,” the love song and theme for Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, sung by the Witches as the two lovers reunite after battle. The third track is “Double Double,” a fresh, sexy and celebratory version of the infamous spell cast by the Witches.

The B side of the record is darker as the machinations of the Macbeths unravel in the final acts of the play. “Sleep No More,” is sung in a circle around Lady Macbeth as she exists in a waking nightmare of her own hallucinations and the Witches prepare her for the afterlife. “Old Gods” is then reprised in the minor key as Macbeth grieves his wife’s untimely death in the famous “tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow” soliloquy. “Men and Moons” serves as the epilogue to the play. The Witches are joined on stage by other women characters— Lady Macbeth, Lady Macduff, and the Crone— to sing a Celtic prayer and blessing song about the cycles of life, death and rebirth.

Now go buy it.


28) Nearby - Lisa Bastoni

Lisa will likely be what I call as my find for this Bandcamp Friday and while I've shared two covers she put out, this woman has songwriting chops witness by her recognition as Kerrville New Folk in 2019 when this release came out.  I sometimes add people as Facebook friends and I looked we have 95 mutual friends.  I wonder how many I've met face to face, plus I hope to see her play live someday.


29) Shoulder to the Wheel - Deidre McCalla

I told you this release is good.


30) I Don't Walk This Path Alone - Deidre McCalla

This song has been getting good play time on Folk Radio, as well it should and it's a great positive way to end this playlist, and thanks for walking this path with me.

I do not walk this path alone
No matter where I'm bound
We all stand on someone's shoulders
When we reach for higher ground

My Mama taught me right from wrong
She was my first rhythm my first song
And through my father's knowing gaze
I marked the measure of my days

The people of my ancestry
Died building this road for me
The fruit of their proud sacrifice
Comes down to me as my birthright.


And the only video that I'm sharing today (right no additional YT playlist either), you know the routine SUBSCRIBE to her YouTube Channel, and buy her album before it wins a Grammy and you can say you knew she would win.


With so many artist, not all can fit in the labels used in Blogger, sorry. 

Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp




The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!