Dave's Music #146 Bandcamp Friday Dec 2022

 

My financial planner does cringe when she see's these monthly splurges into buying music, but to me it's like buying a new guitar over 12-18 months; and I have confidence she'll keep me afloat during retirement.  Now how to post about the 9+ hours of new music added to the library?  Well after my Nov Highlight playlist was one of my most listened to last month I thought I'd take the same approach.  Hit every artist at least once and some a few times if I know already that their release was special.

Here's the playlist at a glance, and it'll help me keep on track.  

A problem with this many artists, blogger doesn't give me enough space for all artist to be tagged as a label, I'll try to make sure the first or second blog appearance get first placement.

If I hadn't stated this enough the Bandcamp links are to encourage you to buy after you stream, but if you can't afford it; look the artist up on your favorite streaming site, please.

1) If I Wanted Your Opinion - Michaela Anne

Officially I bought two of Michaela's vinyl the night of Bandcamp Friday at the Big Fat Bloody Mary House Concert series.   Stories abound that night, and likely I'll eventually own all her music, but the story about men over sharing their opinions after the show at the merch table truly talked to me.  Plus, my wife told me specifically don't you do that tonight.  Too bad I hadn't read this IG post from her until today, I would have shared that I have the SAME Opinion as she does.


Of course I recorded one song from the night, and it was this one!



2) Beautiful Life - Jill Barber

I bought this pre-order a few months ago and didn't noticed she added to more songs available before the final release.  Both are great songs, but I picked the one that picks on social media for a perfect one for the blog.  I feel the same about not needing a pretty picture to know I have a beautiful life, though I'm known as a sharer.  Ha... some aren't pretty I guess.


So cool, Jill released this great lyric video just a few days ago, so it needed to be in the blog.



3) Rose Bush - The Starlight Darlins

Four friends came together in a barn near Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield KS to put a beautiful raw recording of four of their songs.  I loved how one of the Bandcamp reviews described it:

Listening to this album carries me back to live folk circles, amazing harmonies, and songs that are amazing the first time you listen to them, and get deeper with every time you play them.

This is a live recording- and an amazing one at that.

The lead artist song choose to pick first was from a friend Siena Christie, but all three will become that when I get a chance to meet them.  Plus they will close out this playlist so hang in there.  She can write lines that are so simple but true.

Loving you's like trying to hold a rose bush in bare hands
Now I'm bleeding, bleeding
Loving you's a job for someone else with tougher skin
I wish this stinging feeling would end



4) Eye to Eye - Molly Healey

After watching her a couple times at the Moccasin Creek Festival, I was hooked.  Her new album is innovative and definitely stands out in today's collection of music.  I picked a song that sounds like she looped all the instruments in the studio too.  


5) Prodigal Daughter - Aoife O'Donovan with Allison Russell

I need to sometimes be careful not to ignore the bigger named artists more than most in my playlists.  Aoife is in the transition from unknown to mega folk star, and I of course loved her early work with Crooked Still and Sometymes Why.  This album is getting great placement in many 2022 top album lists, and a Grammy nomination so I thought I would add it to the library.   Truly it's good especially a song like this one, but my top ten for the year will likely be more obscure mainstream.


When Aoife performed this on the Kimmel Show, you knew I just had to add it to the blog post.



6) The Sea - Waltzing on Waves

I'm not sure how I've ended up following this great vocalist from Minneapolis; but when the email came through she had a new release I fell in love with the flamenco accompaniment.
 

7) Snowman - Sofia Talvik

It's pretty easy to know if Sofia will show up in the purchases; if she releases a song or album, I buy it.  Here's a little winter story for you from my favorite Swedish Siren.


8) Downtown - The Matchsellers

Musicians love to reach out the blog and let me know about their music and connections.  Sometimes they grace me with a gift of music, and these folks just shared a link and I was hooked by the songwriting.  I don't claim to be a huge bluegrass fan but I love string bands with great harmony and song collection.   Plus they said they had a big thumbs up from a new recent favorite Willi Carlisle who said:

Willi Carlisle is a fan of The Wishful Thinker's Hall of Fame. He proclaims, “Morris' plaintive bawl and humor accentuates some of the best flatpicking in the biz (and it gets experimental here, too) while Bates gets a lot of good work done on the fiddle and folksy, mellow vocals on this new record. With vaudeville and virtuosity (and able production by Clarke Wyatt), this new offering pipes along with genre-hopping energy."

So this song has started a playlist idea of Downtown, and the whole album might get a review along the line because sharing just two songs is not enough.


9)  Time to Get a Straight Job - The Matchsellers

What I just said about them in 8) and then add in waking up as a frog in either his 2nd or a 3rd life... I'm hooked.


Hey I got lucky I picked a song that has a great live video in front of what a fiddle warehouse?



10) Thirteen - Beth Bombara

I'll give you a trifecta from Beth since I bought her whole library I had a lot to pick from and many have been "Hearted" while I've been listening to random shuffle.  Beth brings a strong lower vocal range, top notch writing, and sometimes a little rock beat to the collection.  I met her at FARM and while she wasn't in my first wave of purchases, she was too special to ignore.  I start you out simple like I heard her at FARM.


11) Promised Land - Beth Bombara

She must has a blast fronting this band with such a great groove. (yes this is a 2015 release but like the blog says "Good Music has NO Expiration Date"


Here's a video of the song from the studio:



12) Can't Win - Beth Bombara

Ok her 2010 release song I picked now has a folky sound, but the song means as much today as did for musician on the road.... yep.. I could have added a few more from Beth, let's call it good for now.


13) We'll be Fine - The Foreign Landers

Truly another candidate for accolades as best of 2022, and I'll share you just one song to keep my post manageable.  I heard these two first at Boats and Bluegrass; and knew they would be on my wishlist forever.  I'd love to see them at the Bluff View House Concerts someday.  Yes Tabitha sounds a lot like Allison Krause, and she plays the banjo as well if not better than Allison on the fiddle.  Ok her hubby David isn't bad either, but he's got the most beloved name.


14) U Up? - Buffalo Rose

Outside of The Starlight Darlins, the other album I was sure I was going to buy on BC Friday was this Buffalo Rose release.  I hit a few of their showcases at FARM, but I didn't hit all because I had to choose not being a stalker.  Lucy & Margot was so much fun to watch sing, and Shane is such a writer and I wonder if writes while he's dancing on his toes?  I'm only give you a slow song and one with that showcases their vocal style.  Hey not to belittle the excellent supporting cast.


15) Machine Man - Buffalo Rose

Yes the rise and fall of tension is what I remember from seeing them live... and of course I deliberately picked a song they had a great video released.


Sorry.. I'm pausing now to watch this and think oh boy I'm only half way through BUT the playlist is One hour and 48 minutes long.  No there will NOT be a one click YouTube playlist at the end.  Someday Bandcamp might add that feature but for now you will need to click on each song.  God I love to see this group live... nope a 6 piece group won't fit very well inside the house.


16) Espalona - Ben Gage

Another person I heard first at FARM (yep I highly recommend more venue bookers make it a point to go a Folk Alliance conference write it off for business and sit back and enjoy yourself)  Ben said he wrote it and recorded within 24 hours in New Orleans, he didn't say who might have been the inspiration but I'm falling in love with her too.   Of course I like most people are much shorter than Ben so Espalona would look right past me.


17) Hello, I'm in Delaware - Genevieve Racette

After seeing her recently, I truly wanted to keep her voice fresh in my mind so I bought this 2019 release.  If I was allowed to tell Michaela Anne my opinion... releasing singles are so helpful for fans to keep you on the top of the playlist.


18) Love Him Right - Andrea Von Kampen

I had her soundtrack on my wish list for a while, and I'm so glad it's now in the library.  Follow her on IG, she posts little snippets of covers that I would die to buy the whole song.  Such a clear voice and an excellent master of the guitar picking.  I suppose I should try to see the movie too, though it's not yet free on all my favorite (yes I have too many) streaming packages.


Of course watching this trailer, now I'm worried that I'll fall more deeply in love with her... right now it's just with her music.  I'm a huge Rom-Com fan, it's normal that I fall in love; don't worry I won't stalk her and I already follow her in IG where she posts all those great snippets.


19) Cradle to Grave - Michael McNevin

I'm really starting to like this guy, he's really new to me.


20) No, Joe! - Maygen & the Birdwatcher featuring the Foxgloves 

I've missed most of this groups gigs around the Tri-State area and it's likely because I can't buy their recent album digitally on Bandcamp... could buy this Bootleggin and it gets two spots on this playlist.  Take your privilege and shove it. 


21) Take it to the Garden - Maygen & the Birdwatchers

I want to listen a song that has a songwriter reach for the next line to explain why they want to come with me forever... success.


Hey I got lucky to pick a song with a video.



22) Eggs and Bacon - Emily Rose

Another artist I met at FARM, she has an intense imagination and puts them into lyrics.

I feel like a side dish
I’m poisoning your plate
she’s your eggs and bacon
She’s your chocolate cake
She is the force
Behind everything you do


23) I Still Miss Someone - Goldpine

They might prefer that I shared an original song, but I loved their cover because it's so unique.  Yes I did have a chance to see them at Leo & Leonas when they were still known as "My One and Only"  Plus of course you know me and duo's, I would love to book them for a house concert.


24) Nobody Cares - The Whiskey Charmers

Another group that found me, and I've fallen in love with them.  Don't pigeon hole their music, they'll dance out of it.


Plus I needed a live fix to plant them in my brain better, oh no the video is just a duo... dang love them even more.


25) Half a Dozen Strings - Chain of Lakes

Why do I settle back and listen to Kyle tell stories of his family?  Because it's more interesting than my own, probably not but he sure knows how to weave them into lyrics.  While his most release is called "Songs that didn't make the Record"... seriously some great songwriting, mixing, and dang I wish I had his pipes.  


26) Minnesota - Stacy Steven Hanson

When a friend leaves your area for Colorado, and then releases a song about MN with Joe Glazer as the musician on the mix; I BUY IT... miss him and his wife Jamie.


27) Ballad of Olaf Johnson (Acoustic) - Trapper Schoepp

Acoustic... dang he had me there; just like I heard him recently at the Pump House. He describes the song as:

Trapper Schoepp shares the harrowing story of his Swedish ancestor, Olof Johnson. Upon arriving in America in 1901, Olof got caught in a blizzard while traveling west. In order to survive, he flipped his wagon over a hole he dug into the earth and lived out two months there until springtime.



28) Streetlight Birds - The Starlight Darlins

Oh I know I could go on and on about more songs from the purchase this day, and likewise about my love for this new four piece group; let's just close it with Lauren Oxford written and led song... plus it ends with just four voices; and I leave you to decide to buy some music.

Amber streetlight birds through the window
Made their home in her flyaway hairs
Shrouding her, surrounding her—a halo, a glow
Kissing every last strand as I stared
Wondering just what I'd done to deserve her
As the sight snatched the breath from my lungs
And my heart through the tears saw a great, golden blur
And it knew, and it knew she's the one


Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!