Dave's Music #154 Deidre McCalla - Endless Grace


Today's release review has some of the catchiest songs, honed by a woman raised on folk music around Macdougal Street in Greenwich Village NY.  I hope the connotation of Pop/Folk isn't a slam, but a compliment.  "Shoulder to the Wheel", "One Foot" and "I Do Not Walk This Path Alone" are truly well crafted and mixed songs that stand time and if released in 1974 they would have been right up the charts with "Feel Like Making Love" or "Cat's in the Cradle".  I think back to so many vinyls in my past that sadly were defined in one or two songs, and the rest were filler.  This release is not that but these three songs jump out at you as ones you want to listen to over and over.

I momentarily met Deidre at FARM in one of those late showcases, and she shyly also said this album was up for Grammy consideration, sadly it didn't make the cut.  I also looked to see which song I picked for my Top 60 list, and quickly knew I made a mistake and missed picking any!  You heard it here first, I am not flawless, and I should have picked "One Foot"

I can gather from Bandcamp, that this album is the first released in 19 years and I can only imagine how many songs didn't get chosen so you really are getting her best efforts.  What album Deidra doesn't have in her Bandcamp I had on my Discogs wishlist to buy.  The 1973 released "Fur Coats and Blue Jeans" but as I'm typing this I BOUGHT IT... cool eh?  

This album has received accolades beside from me like Top 25 Folk Alley Listener Poll (yes I own 7 of the 25) and Top 10 Folk Albums from Popmatters (I own 4 of the 10)

Let's start listening to this gem:

1) When the Ground Shifts

Softly the album asks if we can find a way to be whole again.  The album uses the best studio musicians and we'll hear a wide range of styles.  Definitely this has a slight Motown pop single feel with the choir answering her later in the song.

When the ground shifts away from you
In a way you didn’t even know
A world could move
A world can move
Who even knew a world could move


2) Shoulder to the Wheel 

One of the top three songs and you can instantly hear the shift production with the fiddle and dobro setting the pace and fills.  It's a simple hymn for all the working people in this world.


Plus a really nice lyric video:



3) Banana Moon Sky

Deidre lightly paints wishes through a lifespan in three verses all tied to together with a Banana Moon Sky.


4) Nothing to Prove

One could imagine Deidre has been through this song a few times, forget your all those self help books; listen to this song.  Again, compliments to the producer for the hints of the mandolin.


5)  One Foot 

Deidre could be singing about Athletes Foot and with that beat I'd be hooked, instead it's the chorus the hopes.

There are moments
I want to throw the towel in
But it would be just my luck to find
I need it back again

One foot in front of the other
I am one step behind it all
Time never stops
The clock just keeps marching on
Marching on marching on
Marching on marching on



6) Halfway Down the Highway

Of course you need to slow it down after that song.  Let the guitar and bass take the lead, for this gospel tinged prayer.  Love the studio video.




7) Even Now

There are moments when I hear Mary Chapin Carpenter in Deidre's voice.


8) Amaryllis

Of course you all were waiting for the soft love song,   This song is when I finally looked and wondered who was on the dobro and mandolin, and it was the same professional Nashville musician, Wanda Vick  Burchfield.  Awesome work.


Here's a live more stripped down version:



9) All Night Long

A mother's prayer.


10) That's How We Pray

I do pray for healing in our country... there is too much hatred, and too much fuel added to that hatred each day.  We need to pray anyway we can.

Our wounds are deep
And so’s our laughter
The thread that joins them
Informs our faith
And if you need a place to shelter
Come join the dance
That’s how we pray


11) I Do Not Walk This Path Alone 

Yes... we have proud people in our past that have promoted the world being a better place.  Let's stand on someone's shoulders and work for a better future.  We are not alone.

I do not walk this path alone
No matter where I'm bound
We all stand on someone's shoulders
When we reach for higher ground


Loved the description in this video, "ENDLESS GRACE was being mastered when Ketanji Brown Jackson was confirmed a Justice to the United States Supreme Court. As I listened to her White house lawn speech, my skin tingled when some of her passages echoed words and sentiments in "I Do Not Walk This Path Alone."
I hope KBJ hears this track someday, somehow. It would make my Mama so proud!


All my Reviews are both for you and me as I learn more about the artists when you slow down and listen.  Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!