Dave's Music #164 Roads Vol 1


When our blog friends Morningbird release a video and then a single in Bandcamp called, "Old Missabe Road" it set this blog playlist in motion.  The road is based on a railway from their home base in the Iron Range, and it's haunting quality was getting a lot of plays in my library enough that made me stop and say, "I wonder how many songs I have in the digital library with ROAD in the title?"  Specifically without going to a search in my vinyl... 165 SONGS...yikes, how did I not notice this before.

So I picked a dozen that varies from the familiar to the ones that needed more plays, keeping a little variety to the list.  I'm going to call in the Winter Edition too, although it's only because I'm posting it in the middle of winter.  Here are the album covers:


Let's get listening:

1) Old Missabe Road - Morningbird

Anna's life is pretty hard.

Tracks still crisscross this town from East to West and North to South
Freddy waits on a platform there for his blue eyed Anna and her chestnut hair
Anna's not coming back this time, been 60 years since they closed that mine
they rolled the houses out of old Elcore, now the big iron horses don't run through here no more
Freddy was a blaster at the Elba mine took a dangerous job to make his pockets shine

And it ends:

No love and life aint easy long that old Missabe road


And the video:


2) Back Roads - Ryan Holweger

Here's one that needed more plays, it's the opener to a vinyl I own from Ryan who is based out the Twin Cities and has passed through the area a few times.  I love the touch of horns to open the song.


3) The Downward Road - Jake Blount

Funny this is a great album, and while this is Jake's 2nd time in the blog, both times it's been the same song; yes I kind of like it.


4) Along The Road - Jake Shane

Jake has such a distinctive guitar sound, and yes this one needs more play time.  I met & interviewed him during the GRFF Songwriter contest, from SPAIN.


Love the video was during the drums and bass being laid down in the studio.


5) All Roads Lead to You - Low Lilly

Not sure why this song is from iTunes and not in Bandcamp, but I do love a live recording, and Lissa Schneckenberger is one of my favorite fiddlers.  Looks like she's left Low Lilly recently, sad but she's a busy mom and has a nice solo career.


6) I Am the Road - The Cactus Blossoms

When I saw they had this song, I immediately added it to the list.  Every playlist should have a shot of their music when possible.


Ladies (or gay guys) I can not be held responsible for falling in love with these two.  It's their voices I love but I can understand the issue.  Their brother is on the double necked guitar and you gotta love a drummer who understands how to blend by playing with his hands.


7) Morning Road - Katie Dahl

Boy, a drought and then Katie is everywhere in the blog.  Sorry all I could find is a Spotify link (which I don't share) for the song, her website has only one song previewed, and nothing on YouTube.  Not sure why people will use Spotify, but bypass Bandcamp where they can actually make money.  (Yes there is a comparison made by The Hustle in my dissertation on Spotify)  Sorry it's a good song.

8) A Little Further Down the Road - Mike Ward

Mike got a little John Denver feel going on this song, with some gentle picking accenting his in almost a nod to Croce's sound.  Sure it would be nice to have some energy from my youth, but I'm not complaining.

Youth is certainly wasted on the young
Kind of like a song that’s waiting to be sung
Growin’ up too damn fast
Trying to out run the past
With all the answers on the tip of our tongue


9) Heather Down Road - Norah Rendell

The minute I saw this title the first line instantly popped into my head "Meet me on the Heather Down Road"  I bought the song in Apple music a long time ago, and while Norah has a Bandcamp page just doesn't have this older release.  It is a cover of Maria Dunn from Edmonton, Albera: so here's the her song.  Norah picks up the pace just a bit, but it's a good version.  (duh it's the original version Dave and she is in Bandcamp so I have her on my wishlist.)


10) Down a Gravel Road - Johnsmith

John just might live down a gravel road 10 miles from my house.  While John has his most recent release on Bandcamp, not this one.  If you are looking to get the whole CD, there are a few for sale used in Discogs.


11) Bless the Road - Mary Black

Since Johnsmith loves his trips to Ireland, I thought I'd follow him with Mary.  I own this one from an iTunes purchase, so while there are videos out there with just the singing... God I love to listen to her talk and say Donegal.


12) Lowside Of the Road - Tom Waits

From his infamous Mule Variations after this re-issued it with new mixes.


Here's a ONE Click YouTube Playlist for your ease of listening in the background.



Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!