Dave's Music #169 When I Leave

 


A while back I past my mid-life point, and as I'm now retired there are moments when you pause and wonder how many more days, months or years left.  Now I'm very much healthy with the exception of a little hiatal hernia which is in great control, and I don't plan on getting morbid or preachy for you all to turn to Jesus.  I just listened to a new song to me and thought wow that would be perfect to be played during a playlist for my wake.  Yes end of life planning occasionally comes to mind and I've moved off of the idea of having my ashes burned into a vinyl record with my favorite songs that I've written.  Too much plastic and chemicals  in embalming, I'm currently thinking of planting me in the ground in some tree roots; anyone with suggestions could always message me.  

Ok if that was too much information, let's get to the music playing at the gathering of friends or for you to listen to while you say goodbye from a distance.  This playlist will likely be added to as I rediscover songs that I want to included, but these ten are a great start.

1) How Will I Leave - Matt Watroba

A few years back I was blessed with a bin of old CD's that were given to the past Great River Folk Fest Performers Committee chairs (which I did for a few years too)  Recently I recognized Matt's name is still active and I did not have him in the library, so I imported the cd and fixed that.  When this song came in a random shuffle it had me stopping and contemplating this playlist.  I did not know that he started writing this song at his Grandmother's funeral; fitting.


2) Lay Down Your Weary Tune - Mary Black covering Bob Dylan

Well I would hope to gather you all to rest and relax and listen to some of my favorites.  I'm sparing you the Dylan original version from his Biograph; Mary sings like an angel and well Bob doesn't.


3) Thanks for the Dance - Leonard Cohen

I know I know, where's Hallelujah Dave is dead, ha.  While Mary got you sitting and relaxing, I'd like to say "Thanks for joining me in the dance of life."  This tune is from Leonard's last released vinyl which was released after he passed away.  I love that Jennifer Warnes is on backing vocals on the song. This vinyl is in mint condition will be stored in a protector and Dustin will have it for a great memory of his own dad.


4) The Company of Friends - Danny Schmidt

I would have to include the best ever secular hymn ever written, and I'm grateful today and through eternity for the company of friends I've been surrounded by.  


While my playlist has Danny's studio version, I very ok with his lovely wife singing it too; and yes I had the opportunity to host these two at the Bluff View.


5) Crossing the Bar - Calico Stray

The genesis of this playlist also started back in the blog post review of Calico Stray No. 40, and while I can not find it in YouTube for the accompany playlist; I would truly love for you to listen to Claire sing lead.  Since I've met them digitally I've been following her, and she has such a great voice and exudes warmth and sunshine on her posts.  Plus she loves cats, good kid.


There are several other versions and covers of this song on YouTube, but this chapel one seems to be a great fit.


6) Simple Faith - David Tamulevich 

I know David from Mustard's Retreat's many visits to the Great River Folk Fest.  Another great secular hymn of friendship.  (Interesting that I recognize Matt Watroba from the first song is on stage for the choir, as well another friend Annie Capps.  Jim Bizer too who I had a chance to meet at FARM)


7) You Want it Darker - Leonard Cohen

It's not all smiles, there needs to have a little Biblical teeth gnashing. So a good service should have Old Testament reading, so let's have Leonard handle that.

If you are the dealer, I'm out of the gameIf you are the healer, it means im broken and lameIf thine is the glory, then mine must be the shameYou want it darkerWe kill the flame
Magnified, sanctifiedBe the holy nameVilified, crucifiedIn the human frameA million candles burningFor the help that never cameYou want it darker
Hineni, hineniI'm ready, my Lord
Hineni means "Behold I'm Ready" and is from Isiah 6:8 and the song is from "You Want it Darker" released the year he passed away.

8) I've Got a Hope - Carolyn Arends cover of Pierce Pettis

Now the New Testament and the promise of HOPE, yes I do believe in this vast history of life that Jesus did walk the earth.  If at the time that I die I find out all his teachings that I believe in were right, SCORE Me I'm Saved.  If not, I do believe he had to have been the most radical loving person whoever walked the Earth and I did my best to follow his teachings.  I hope that made me a better friend, father, husband, and part of the community of life.  I choose Carolyn's cover over Pierce's version because I love it just a bit more, both are wonderful.


Here's Carolyn live:


And here is the church band I play with covering it: (boy I don't remember having that other channel?)


9) Will The Circle Be Unbroken - Gregg Allman

Ever since I first bought this record as a kid, I have loved Gregg's version of this song the best.  Hey you all keep the circle together, will you?


10) Ain't No Grave - Crooked Still

Now smile will you... there ain't no grave that will hold me down so bury me under a tree to keep me rooted down.  While Charlie Parr does an absolutely wonderful version of the song, this song means the most to me and it's when I thought Aoife O'Donovan did some of her best work.




Ok I do plan on adding more songs when I remember or run into them and they will be added to this playlist for a ONE Click listen.


Until then ...

Hineni, hineniI'm ready, my Lord

The end... ;-)  until the next blog... ha.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!