DBT #179 Homemaker - Jill Barber

 


After a week off from posting a Thursday Release Review, I wanted to share how much I love the new album from Jill Barber, and yes I think since she has over 10 appearances in the blog "I Heart Jill" is appropriate.  This mostly subdued gentle concept album spins stories of a musician mom who loves her life, children, mom, and spouse; at times I wish she was in the room to give her the biggest hug.


Yes as I type this post her vinyl is spinning in the background, and I'm so glad for finding her music back in 2014.  Back then it was three songs that forever stuck with me, "Oh My My" and two duets with her brother Matthew "Where the River Bends" and the absolutely best cover of "All I have to is Dream"  I put all of them in the playlist at the bottom, but here is to dreaming that someday I'll see her in concert.


This Canadian woman is comfortable singing jazz, in front of a full orchestra, or in French; and this album she empties her soul about her life today.  Kill Beat Music mentions this is a step back to her roots, and that this is the first record she is Co-Producer with Erik Neilson.  While American Songwriter said, 

"The folk-pop singer/songwriter is commiserating with fellow parents in the lead single off her upcoming album of the same name. Describing the song in a statement, Barber called “Homemaker” “a rallying cry to all the parents out there who have ever felt isolated, depressed, or trapped in a domestic situation that is stifling, thankless and unending."
 
While Holler picks up on how effortlessly Jill tells her stories comparing her to legends that I love, 

Anyone who loves the layered storytelling of John Prine and Nanci Griffith or novelists like Anne Tyler will immediately warm to Homemaker, the latest album from Canadian Jill Barber.

Here, she’s standing her ground and standing up for underappreciated parents, making “an intentional pushback against the worn-out notion of what it means to be ‘just a homemaker’.”

Let's jump into the music:

1) Instant Cash for Gold 

A great song about being frustrated with life on the road for pennies.  I love the antique store metaphor used wonderfully in the video.



2) Beautiful Life

Yes this song was released early and made my Top Song list for 2022 and my recent Tune Tuesday.  It's a hymn for saying FU to social media and pointing out that you don't care if you are not perfect, you have a beautiful life.  I would love to see a picture though of those Cheerios stuck to her feet.  This song is really one that makes me want to hug her the most, plus she taught me something "Double Tapping Insta Gram"  I always used to look for the heart button but all you have to do is double tap the picture to love it.  I always double tap her posts there.



I don't know I think she looks picture perfect in this post of her album cover shoot.


3) Homemaker

Lists of life's clutter, a nice sparse song for a such a valuable recap on so many of our lives raising small children.  My recollections of that age was arriving home from work and it was Dad's time.  Just wait there's going to be love outpoured for those kiddo's over the next few years until the teen years; but come on... I could only wish to have been raised by such a talented lady.


The live video is even more sparse but not it sure looks like it might have been the recording crew? ... dang I would have loved to be sitting in the corner.  I'd make an exception for her if she wanted to play our house concert series... any day any month, she doesn't need a whole back up band and Lori could watch the kids downstairs.


4) Joint Account

Oh my duets like this just give me goose bumps, these memories must have came from her youth.  The male voice is good, but it would be cooler if it was her brother; though them having a joint account is weird.


The video doesn't have the intense duet, still a great listen.


5) Women of my Own Dreams

The old adage be careful what you dream for, Jill you are plenty of somebodies... but you are one of my favorite singers too.  I think the song is so therapeutic for so many people, I hope they find the song and apply it many times.


6) Hell No

Flipping the vinyl to side B.  If Beautiful Life told social media FU, this one "Lipsticks it to the man". I'm hoping this is the next video, it's such a great song; and I hope it inspires many young ladies all over the globe. "Yes they can"


7) My Mother's Hand

If you are prone to crying, grab the tissues.  I love Jill's description in the video.

I lovingly created this video using old family footage, shot by my Dad on Super 8 in the late 70s and early 80s. Not only does it capture the spirit of the era in which I was born, it’s also a precious time capsule of my mother as a young Mum, and me and my brother Matthew as infants. Although these images of a mother tending to her young children are glimpses of my own family story, they represent the simple, everyday enduring love that a mother has for her children, a theme that I hope will resonate with many.



8) Blue Eyes

Yep looking into you children's eyes at that age is a wonder, and the hope for their future.  Jill don't worry, teen years don't last forever, talking to your adult children is such a blessing.


9) Helium 

We are truly all getting older, and I do pray that we could all be getting kinder.  Just the image of balloons floating away is so classic playing with children, now let's hope they don't scream that they want it back...


Love the classic dancing to the video.


10) Still in Love

A nod to her loving spouse, he's a lucky dog.


Now while Jill has a YouTube playlist of her entire album, I'll give you a companion One click playlist for the videos included or mentioned in the post. If I find more videos for songs above I will add them to the post.


Jill is a mother I would love to hug, and share a glass of wine with while the kiddos run around.  If I did anything with this post, I slowed down and listened even more to the songs.  This is a great album and I hope it wins her a Juno award.

Next steps outside of buying her music on Bandcamp, especially Friday March 3rd when they waive their fees:

- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- Stop over to the Review page to my most spinned and loved albums.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!