DBT #186 Autos, Vans, & Trucks Vol 2


After the Volume 1, I had three people give my awesome suggestions.  Carol Roth, David Enge, and my wife Lori over dinner at a great Greek restaurant in town, Soula's Cuisina.  Another 20 songs and I left a bunch on the table. (Who would have guessed FIVE songs in Bruce's Darkness on the Edge of Town would have all related.)  Today's playlist I'm going to focus on the YouTube side of the world because so many come from my CD or Vinyl collection.   So I'm moving the playlist to the top of the post today, yep you could it say it raced up there. Click here or the playlist and you'll open another tab and you can listen and read along.


1) Chevy Beretta - Jonny Corndawg

Fun song I collected during my Paste subscription days.

2) Ol' Buick - Claudia Nygaard

Kerrville winner that's been here before with this same song, dang it rocks.

3) 1980 Dodge Van - Melissa Carper

Found this in searing bandcamp... come on Melissa you wrote both this one AND My Old Chevy Van in Volume One?  Ha you must write about a VW Van next... please.

4) A Big Truck Brought It - Jonathan Byrd

Great song recommended by David, so I bought it.  I do love Jon's writing, and yep we get a lot of trucks dropping stuff off; many are aren't as big when they get to our house.  (Shrinking trucks???)

5) Mag Wheels - Charlie Parr

Carol recommended this one, I completely forgot I had it.  Another Dodge.

6) Rusty Old American Dream - David Wilcox.

Another David suggestion, which again I had in the library.  I know I can't whine about it, but it's harder to search this subject, you have to use your old rusty memory.  Great fan video in the playlist.

7) Ford Econoline - Nanci Griffith

Not sure how I remembered this song, or if I found it in a Discog search of my library.  This "Lone Star State of Mind" might be one of Nanci's best album.

8) Racing in the Streets - Bruce Springsteen

Oh my, this one came to my memory; and like I said above that night importing the song from vinyl made me fall in love again with that record... plus five of the songs have Bruce driving around.  Yet, these lyrics to open it?  Wow.

I got a sixty-nine Chevy with a three-ninety-sixFuelie heads and a Hurst on the floorShe's waiting tonight down in the parking lotOutside the Seven-Eleven store

No wonder it made the playlist art.

9) Deadman's Curve

Ok my memory gave me Little Deuce Coupe, but Jan & Dean were driving a lot in their surfing songs.  This one was too tragic not to share.

10) Little Deuce Coupe

Hey their short songs compared to Bruce's 6 minutes love song wrapped in street racing.

11) Car Wheels on a Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams

This one got on the list because I was finishing keying my cd's into Discogs, while putzing with this playlist.  Another awesome legendary album too.

12) Diamonds on my Windshield - Tom Waits

I could say it might be colder than a well diggers ass down in the basement and that's why I thought of this song, but again back to why #11 came to mind; I was in the W's.

13) We're not the Jet Set - John Prine w/ Iris Dement

We're the old Chevro Let set...great song.

14) Brand New '64 Dodge - Greg Brown

Right I found my old CD case for the car and was keying those in when this awesome tune showed up.

15) Body is a Car - Four Bitchin Babes

Ha another CD case find, and you got to love these babes.

16) Ol' 55 - Eagles

Oh another absolute vinyl favorite I remembered as Lori and I were discussing songs.  While I love Tom's version too, the Eagles sound so much more pretty.

17) Lincoln Park Pirates - Steve Goodman

Well we can round up all those cars, another song that came up over dinner.  A funny thing happened while importing the song from the vinyl, I looked at the cover and the liner notes confirmed it was John Prine on one side and freaking Fred Holstein on the other.  I posted this and a musician friend mention Jimmy Buffett was next to John.  Marvin Gardens was mentioned in the liner note and googling it I found this: (too stinking funny)


The Cover Story

We've all seen the cover of "Somebody Else's Trouble". Well if you haven't, Its just to the left of this text. The front photo was taken in Steve's house. Most people assume that the picture is really Jimmy Buffett and NOT Marvin Gardens. Shortly after the album was released, Marvin was recognized immediately by authorities.

In an attempt to throw the police of his trail, his good friends, Steve Goodman and Jimmy Buffett (who BTW bears a faint resemblance to Marvin) concocted the following story which has since become part of the mythos of Marvin: This is the way Steve described how the photo came about:

    Why is there a picture of Jimmy Buffett on the cover of this album and why is he referred to as Marvin Gardens? "He was staying at my house and on the cover there's a plant right behind his head. He was standing right in front of one of Nancy's plants, and Marvin Gardens is one of the streets on the American 'Monopoly' board, so he just thought that would be an interesting joke, and that's what he did.
Uh sure Steve. We believe you. Now that would've made a great song.

18) Long May You Run - Neil Young

Lori pulled this one out of thin air, and well I had it on his Decades 3 LP set.  The story was more interesting to me and found this article and picture

Listening to Neil Young’s “Long May You Run” for the first time, you may assume that it’s a love song about another human being that he had been with for quite awhile, as Neil is known for writing some damn good love songs. However, taking a closer look at the lyrics, you’ll notice that this is actually a love song about a car — his first car, to be exact.

This car was named Mort (full name Mortimer Hearseburg), and it was a 1948 Buick Roadmaster Hearse that he drove until it’s transmission gave up the ghost in 1962, as discussed at length in the Neil Young biography Shakey. Mort’s death impacted Neil so much that he wrote a song about it more than a decade later.

19) Fast Car - Tracy Chapman

This was a duh moment, how could I almost not forget this great song.

20) Drive My Car - Beatles

Lori and I were talking and about how could the great writers like Lennon / McCartney & Dylan not write a song with a car as emphasis.  Well I found one for both, but Dylan's was weird it was a view from a Buick and never mentioned the car.  The video playlist has Paul in concert recently; I hope you enjoy it.

Well I hope you enjoyed some or most of this playlist.  Sorry it didn't have all the embedded videos, with 20 songs not doing that sped up writing it.

Next steps:

- If you didn't listen to Autos V1 here is the link
- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.




The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!