DBT #183 Autos, Vans & Trucks

 

Let me take you for a ride with this wildly eclectic playlist, and immediately I needed to call it Volume One because where is Little Deuce Coupe by the Beach Boys or Woody's famous "Take You for a Ride in the Car, Car"  Not to belittle this at all, I had to round it up to 20 with a few more strategic buys at Bandcamp including a great cover Cash's "One Piece at a Time" by Dan Bern.  I couldn't imagine posting this playlist without the song and incredibly I don't yet own Johnny's version digital or vinyl.

Now the list I'm listening to I know I will not find 100% in either Bandcamp or YouTube because Don Lange seems to have nothing out there, and Emily Earle's song was recorded live at our house concert and has never been released.  Let's see what we can find.

1) Darcy's got a Coup Deville by Don Lange 

This is the song that started the playlist and it was because I had sorted the library and saw that I never "officially" listened to this cd in the library.  Since back then I would actually listen to physical CD's I truly had listened to this 2006 release, but it's fun to listen to again.  And to my surprise, the audio of this album is in YT, and Yes there will be a YT playlist at the end if you are the type to listen that way.


2) Chevy Van - Sammy Kershaw

I was gifted a CD of favorite covers by a co-worker ages ago and this song was on it.  Boy it was journey to figure out who's version this was, but I figured it out.


3) 1965 Chevy BelAir - Susan Werner

I said eclectic right... Get ready to dance.  Susan's wild fun trip to Cuba... buy it, just don't listen to the great video. Yes that lady has great dance moves too.



4) Long Black Electric Cadillac - John Hiatt with Jerry Douglas

Yep from the 1955 Chevy kept in a time machine in Cuba, we move to John's EV Cadillac.  Another great video but consider buying the music from these two old legends.



5) Cadillac Troubles - Emily Earle

If you don't know Emily, she's a country rockstar making a living writing songs in Nashville.  This one she played at the house concert was about rich girls complaining about the little stuff.  Nothing to add for you to listen to, but click here and you can see her most recent video.

6) Guitars, Cadillacs - Dwight Yoakam

A classic must for the playlist.


7) Cars - Sofia Talvik

A 2005 release from our blog favorite.  A car is just a car, but this lady is star especially in house concert settings.  This video I found of her is a real tasty gem with multiple angles.



8) El Camino - Amos Lee

I did get this from Paste Magazine, it just might not be about the car but the title is and I sometimes need to hear this smokey voice.


9) '42 Ford - Antonio Lopez

Love the way songs tell you truths and facts in subtle ways... there aren't any '42 Fords.


10) Little White Truck - Kate Lynn Logan

I'm not sure why I bought this song back in 2014, but I'm so glad this playlist brought it back up front; what a great song.  BTW she is on Bandcamp and I have since bought a few more of her songs.


11) Let's Go for a Ride - MARMO

My last Bandcamp Friday I bought an album that was recommended to me in my new Reddit adventure.  An early version of this playlist did not have this song, and then as was listening to my 7 hours of purchases randomly I just LOVED this song and extended this playlist.  Plus you get a live from the chicken coop video; how cool is that.



12) Long Line of Cars - Cake

Remember the eclectic list?  This one is the library because my son bought it... a little more electronic than my normal tastes, but it's a great song.  The video is not official but this is so much fun; I want to give a group hug to the main characters.


13) Calling all Cars - Sean Hayes

A song I bought back in 2008, another smokey vocals, and you're welcome if this is your first time hearing it.  Just love that little scat in the song too. 


14) Kissing in Cars - Towne

Bought at the beginning of the pandemic move to add Bandcamp music, love this duo and love that this playlist gave me an opportunity to listen again.  Passion in a car, it had to happen in this list at least once.  Plus when I search in YouTube I truly hope I'll find a great live video to add to my understanding of the artist... oh my the band is a trio and Steevie sure can sing sultry.  I could fall in love with her pretty easily I bet.  (yes just add her to the long list.) 



15) Step Dad's Truck - Jake Brennan

Another song from my day's of being a subscriber to the Paste Magazine and then would send CD's and DVD inserted in their magazine.  I can't find a lot about what he's doing today but I've always loved this story.


16) My Old Chevy Van - Carper Family

While searching BC for the 2nd song in this playlist, I found this gem.  Then when searched it in YT, I frickin' found her with Sierra Ferrell.  Sure glad she felt cheating on her Chevy Van had to be written into a song.



17) El Camino - Elizabeth Cook

Here's a legend seeing about that funky ass truck called an El Camino.  Love the fact I got to hear her live in LaCrosse a while back.


18) El Camino - Haas Korwert Tice

Ah... read into this song what you like, it's an instrumental from a CD I bought when I met Jordan Tice at the Great River Folk Fest.


19) I like Trucks - Kendel Carson

My ultimate favorite Canadian find in MySpace, and this is her timeless classic.  Sure it needs more play and like I've said in this blog many times, Music Has NO Expiration Date... especially good songs like this.  I love that this video has had over 130K views, sure would have been nice if it was in better resolution... but hey it is the studio version of the song in my playlist; and you get to see that Canadian Country sweetheart on her fiddle. I love the boys in the video too; lucky dogs all of them.


20) One Piece at a Time - Dan Bern

I was going to end it with I like Trucks, but come on... this song is such a classic it has to be the closer of volume one.   There were a few live versions in YouTube of Dan playing this solo live, but the YT playlist will be the audio version of this release in Bandcamp... Strong cover.


Here's the One Click listen playlist in YouTube:



Next steps if you have time:

- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.




The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!