DBT #188 Songs You Didn't Know I Wrote About You - Emily White

 


Personally as blogger picking only one album a week is difficult and sometimes I have grabbed four at times. Today I almost passed since life had gotten busy, and a quickly planned road trip is on for tomorrow.  Then I thought, I can share one so I scrolled the recent additions looking for "Hearted" songs, and to my surprise Emily's gem quietly had six songs.  (Past readers might know I have a playlist of all music I bought in last Bandcamp Friday, put it on shuffle and while I work and play I listen.  When a song hits me, I reach for the phone and Heart it)

Nine years since her last album (at least per Bandcamp) and she definitely had a rich wealth of songs to choose from, and what? they were written about me?  Nope but she definitely found characters to wrap into lyrical stories.  I met Emily during the 2022 fall FARM conference but I didn't take any videos of her song swaps. I thought of her as an introspective person who would think and listen, while at the same time she seemed warm and loving to people.  She lives in Chicago, so pretty sure she's bombarded by crowded rooms and roads; I would likely get quiet and introspective too. Ha all of this is my projection; she could talk up storms so let's get to these introspective story songs.

There aren't many other reviews out for the album yet, but I did run across this one.  It's interesting to see how others post about music sent to them.  I tend not to acknowledge every one with such a brief note; when you get me to write about music; I've been listening and really want to share it back with you.

Let's shake this up and listen to the songs I starred and why:

3) Radio

Loved the imagery of throw back to listen to the radio; wishing for the old days, and connecting through song.  Reminiscing about Dad spinning his Columbia records... sure I'm old enough to be her dad too.  The banjo and the subtle harmonies, makes this is likely my favorite song.  (Note I haven't found too many videos of songs from these album, and searching her is tricky because there is a country singer with the same name, click here for Emily's page.  If she adds videos from any of these songs, I'll post it to this page.)


5) Song for Adel Termos

Yes I'm a sucker for ballads that document history, and Emily did a great job recounting this hero saving his daughter.  Here's the background story.


7) Love the Good

I love the optimism and hope in this song, plus I admire the texture of the lyrics. I was hooked right with the first verse "Copper coins, coppertone, shoulders in the August sun..." just needed to hear where she was headed.  UPDATE April 26th, a video of this song has been released in the Americana UK.  




9) Red is Red

Oh the craving for someone always fills my crush addiction, a romantic deep inside while a loyal as a hound dog.  Fantasies can feel so refreshed lines offered in this song.  "I would have taken you intravenously, I could never get enough of you"  "I've spent ten years watching you" "I saw red in what was blue, but there's nothing in that sky says why you're not mine."  Yes Randy Sabien's joke is that all love songs are either "Stalker" or "Whiners" ... this one leans towards stalking and even has her mother reporting in on her.  Don't get me wrong, I love it.


10) Star

Right from the start Emily pulls you into rethinking a relationship, and how a person can't see how important and brilliant they are into another person's life. I love how the guitar hammers on the beat and keeps the story moving.  Obviously, this song ties right into the title of the album.


11) Stairs in the Dark

A little change to a jazzier rhythm, this little gem might end being the most played song from album.


I hope you give Emily's music a try, she's a talent.  Here is the whole Bandcamp album:


All my reviews do have videos of any song from the album and so far I can't find any from this one; but come on you need to meet Emily.  So until she adds more, or I find them on someone else's page here's one to allow you to hear her as I met her at FARM



Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.





The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!