DBT #190 Broken Ties - The Vogts Sisters


Today's review we're going to celebrate that Good Music Has NO Expiration Date by reaching back to a 2018 release that just got on Bandcamp within the last month.  Why might you say they just put it up on BC, because I talked their agent mom into doing it.  They have a new release coming up, and I really want that one on there too, so let me brag up these two great sisters.  Let's start from their website:

"With haunting harmonies and wickedly creative songs, the Vogts Sisters...stand out in a crowded field of similar performers, with a fresh sound from America's Heartland." - Ozark Highlands Radio

Touring the Midwest since 2012, the Vogts Sisters have garnered numerous awards in regional and international songwriting competitions. They currently have over thirty original songs that fit seamlessly into their acoustic Americana-Folk act. Named Best Duo in the 15th Annual International Acoustic Music Awards, the sisters blend timeless music with sibling harmony

Yes they made my Sibling Harmony playlist, and the Ballad playlist, plus I met them the year they played the Great River Folk Fest.  Just the year before they stopped into the Driftless Music Fest unannounced and played to the amazement of whoever gathered in the corner on the grounds.  Tim Eddy was one of those people and made it known to us at the GRFF we have to book these too.   Fast forward to why I was talking to their mom, is that I had a spot reserved for them in the Fall 2023 Bluff View Court schedule, and they decided with what they have going on as family they would push it back until next year.  Yes these two are both highly educated and one in a fairly new mom.  

So without getting a chance to host them, I decided I would round out this album that I only owned three songs from before.  It's truly a gem that's getting special rotation through out my days.

Here are the selections I've "Hearted" along the way, but when their songs come on I'm never reaching for the skip button.

3) Prove Me Wrong

Ok here you go, listen to this and prove me wrong that the harmonies are flawless, guitar is crisp, and the mandolin is tasteful and moves along in the solos.


Here they are singing the song in one of the private showcases at FAI.


4) Dixie Bride

This feels like it was pulled right out of the Appalachian mountains, and it was the song I posted in the Sibling Harmonies playlist.


Back during that playlist I could only post this video of them live; of course they are as sweet as they appear in this video; and the studio version is a clear version without the venue noise.


9) Mothers and Sons

Another crisp traditional sounding story with quick paced lyrics.  


So happy I found this gem of a video of the song... 


Here's the whole album to browse through and I of course hope that you consider buying and loving it more and more each day too.


My commitment in these reviews is to also include videos released for songs on the album.  They actually have quiet a few out there, and in the order I found them:

8) In the Valley

I do love how they change their sound for just a duo when Maggie picks up the violin Abigail puts down the mandolin and plays flawlessly on the guitar.


1) Jericho

Of course as I write this, they do pretty good violin and mandolin combo too:


After I watched this I wanted to confirm that the studio version is not overdubbed, you get the two amazing voices and just the two instruments.


6) Rosanna 


5) Lonesome Mountain Queen

Not sure why that other guy is on stage, in case you find that distracting; here's the BC Link too; it is a fun song.



2) Dreaming Ways

Yep, my dream of hosting them for a house concert is still alive.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!