DBT #198 Robbie Fulks - Bluegrass Vacation


Finally after all his years of playing music, I had a chance to see Robbie Fulks last year at the Moccasin Creek Festival.  He was everything I was told he would be... funny, witty, great singer, and wonderful entertainer.  I was part of the team that booked the Great River Folk Fest in 2020 and we had him booked, and then the pandemic hit.  I hear they are still trying to get him for the fest.  Well today's review is a gem of an album released only couple weeks ago, April 7th and I was lucky to pick it up on April's Bandcamp Friday.  You know what on the surface this album is fun and not one challenging you to hold back the tears.  I do need that at times, and while I have a love/hate arrangement with bluegrass I find I need to take it in small doses, say like a shot?

Hey before we get started, check out this awesome press from Variety.  I just have to quote this part:

It might be tempting to append the word “unsung,” since Fulks’ regular touring since the late ’90s has usually found him playing sub-SoFi rooms — like Hotel Cafe, where he’ll be appearing May 20. But his reputation as one of American’s modern masters precedes him in many places where it counts, whether it’s the two Grammy nominations he’s picked up in folk and roots categories, or his renown for acoustic shredding landing him on the cover of guitar magazines, or just the company of the players that are drawn to him.

(Btw... Anyone want to define "sub-SoFi rooms" Google had pretty strange results when I searched it.)

1) Another Glass of Whiskey

How about a small dose of Whiskey? Robbie is not going to let the bluegrass format stop him from slipping in some great writing

These L.A. bars are friendly Small-town bars are rough I don’t need no more unkindness The memory’s enough One glass of whiskey to ease my mind And another one to take it too far away to find And when I feel I’m sinkin’ low I reach for the first friend I see All I need is to look at him and know He’s sinkin’ faster than me... Well, life gets stranger The more it goes on It’s a wonder how I worry When nothin’s really wrong


Here he is solo, and you get a feel of his skill at banter, and dang close you eyes and you would think that's Doc Watson on the guitar.


2) Molly and the Old Man

This ballad has such a lamenting fiddle and oh boy I could listen and drift to the hollow anytime.  Plus it has very tasteful banjo in this song


Great songs can stand a different instrumentation, though that studio version is so good.


3) Lonely ain't hardly Alive

Grab that sad bluegrass classic with whining chorus in Bill Monroe style, and you have this song.  It's just a well written new classic.


4) Angels Carry Me

A soft song filled with great writing about growing up.


5) Longhair Bluegrass

As highlighted in the Variety post, this has to be the hit that you go to in this album.  It truly takes me back to the 70's and the early music festivals.  It's funny because Robbie looks like he could be your neighborhood accountant.



6) Backwater Blues

A little finger picking ditty.


7) Sweet Li'l Cora-Mae

Another simple orchestration this time with Robbie on the banjo, and definitely you will be thinking this is a traditional song, but does an old Appalachian song have halter top and thong?


8) Silverlake Reel

Ok every bluegrass setting needs an instrumental reel to share solo's.  This is a nice one with top notch pickers including Jerry Douglas on dobro.


9) Momma's Eyes

Slow it back down, and a gentle farewell to momma with all the recollections tied nicely up with love.


10) Nashville Blues

A great cover and duo with Tim O'Brien on mandolin.


11) Let the Old Dog In

Robbie steps back and just sings this gem in front of the all star bluegrass band.  This one cooks, and Robbie's having too much fun.


12) Old Time Music is Here to Stay

Oh such a great closer, just Robbie on his own frailing picking style.  


While I don't always give you a ONE Click playlist of an album release, I decided this one was too much fun not to.  Yes all the audio videos are in this one; while I prefer you buy the album on Bandcamp, hey it's out there to listen to.


I hope you enjoyed this fun album.  Yes music can be fun, but Robbie does put some excellent writing into it so listen closely too. Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!