DBT #201 Wired

 


Wired, Barb Wire, Bird on a Wire, Thin Wire, or Walking on a Wire.  One little four letter word with the power to jolt you out of existence or keep a one ton horse staying in place.  Well I found that back in 2019 I had bought in iTunes Claire Lynch covering a Susan Werner song, "Barbed Wired Boys" and just that song, but on the same day I bought Susan's too.  Well that started a playlist.

1) Barbed Wired Boys - Claire Lynch

Sadly Claire isn't in Bandcamp, so this might be my only venture into her music; but it's a great cover a little more bluegrass country than Susan's version. (5 string banjo helps) A very nice live cut from Eddie Owen Presents:


2) Barbed Wired Boys - Susan Werner

I could have shared an audio video of this song but when I saw that Char posted a her singing it solo in a workshop at the Great River Folk Fest a while back, it had to be this version in the blog. It's a pretty good recording, and you really get to hear the touching lyrics.  I'm not going to press deeper on the story, I'm going to believe it's all TRUE.   (P.S. the last time I saw he it was pretty up close and personal in an evening song swap at FARM...Click here it'll start at her clip.  The next time I'll see her she'll be at the Aug '23 Great River Folk Fest.)


3) Bird on a Wire - Leonard Cohen

So many good covers, but I just love Leonard's original recording the best.


4) Chicken Wire - Jonathon Byrd

Dang, our son went through 4H and we had chickens for a few years, something about chicken wire I don't like, but I love this song hey fence in that hen.


Pretty nice picking in this live duo cut:


5) Hard Wired - Shakey Graves 

Love this song... I even wrote a song once with that title. (Hard Wired - Want my cup of Java)


Cool, and a radio studio live solo version:


6) Raven on a Wire - Chris Elliott 

An old MySpace find and friend, I searched him in Bandcamp and he's still playing around. Song about love, war, and cross dressing... and it's from a 2004 release that I can't find in BC.


7) Thin Wire - Sean Staples

Bought during Nov. Bandcamp Friday, this is a great cut from 2020.  He is a collaborator with Lisa Bastoni.  God takes care of kids and drunks, but he's just too old and sober to have him notice... great line.


BTW I think that was the Forester I owned in the first few seconds of this wild video.  Wild because if you get car sick easily, DON'T Watch.


8) Through the Wires - Caitlin Jemma

My playlist actually had two releases of Caitlin singing this song, but I'll share this... I know you might think it should be name "Waiting on that deal to go down"... and it's all about old technology of telephone wires.   Caitlin has that sneaky voice that you can't place as southern drawl, but it's distinctively her.  She is a Cosmic Cowgirl that I loved since meeting her busking in Boulder, and we hosted her for a weekend back in 2018 in April when we had one of those April snow blizzards.


Love her and that dimple on her chin:


9) Walkin on a Wire - Lowen & Navarro

I still dream about going into music stores and just buying cds and vinyl on a whim... oh wait I still do that... this one was on one of those chances.  Love the fact I took a chance.


10) Concrete & Barbed Wire - Lucinda Williams

And we end coming back to barbed wire, thus the picture I chose.  Of course I'm listening the studio version and you are getting the live cut from Farm Aid.  (Squint and you can hear Caitlin's voice in Lucinda's)


Here's a one click playlist with the bonus track from me... turn it up to eleven.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!