DBT #237 Family

 


As I look at the weekend ahead, Family time is what it's about.  An evening meal with Lori's cousin and sister(s), a baby and new house party with my brothers, sisters, and nieces, and then a Sunday morning with my church family and bandmates.  A road trip needs a playlist, so here it goes and I'm never sure what Bandcamp or YouTube links I'll find for the songs.  I'll schedule this to just pop up on Saturday though who knows where I'll be.

1) Family Band - Melody Walker

One of my finds of the Rocky Mountain Folks Fest, absolutely LOVE this 2011 song; just shows you good music has no expiration date.  It appears I didn't finish my recap of the fest yet, but I did post about Melody and Phoebe Hunt in this post about The Missing Stair.


And the positive feel from the video is contagious; I smiled all the way through it.



2) Gather the Family - Mustard's Retreat

Oh give it up for a great a cappella song.



3) Family - Phoebe Hunt

As mention before, it blew me away getting a chance to see Phoebe again at the Rocky Mtn Folks Fest.  While she has a Bandcamp page, I bought this album on iTunes; so here a wonderfully limited watched video of the song.  Watch it until the end, I could watch her happy enthusiasm over and over. 



4) Family - Dar Williams

Dar's version of Pierce Pettis's song is so good.  Yes I'm listening to a studio version, but this live video is incredible too.


5) Boxed Wine Kind of Family - Mary Mack

A little change up here... I love Mary, and this list just like all families needs a joker in the group.


6) Family Tapes - Dead Horses

One of the top bands in WI, again this is from a pandemic released EP.


Plus you get an awesome live video:



7) Family Tree - Pigtown Fling String Band

Pigtown gave me my best 60th birthday present, a cover of my song.  It starts a run on Family Tree songs.  BTW Jessie the fiddler in Pigtown also played on my version; you can compare it here.


Plus the artwork looked like a 45 so I filmed it in an old fashioned juke box way.


8) Family Tree - Jim Ringer

From his last studio release, the1981 album Endangered Species; he died way too early from drinking too hard.


9) The Family Tree - Erin Zindle

Erin's a pretty new follow for me, but this again is a 2011 release.

My family is like a factory of tragedy cranking out disaster like a well-oiled machine
Broken and scattered - secrecy and factions - actions and reactions - water's thicker than our genes

*But those we've lost - we grieve and remember - we remember forever
Those we've lost - we've lost them together - we've lost them together - so we never grieve alone*

We may not have much in common - a name or blood or paperwork saying once we did agree
Our ancestors came from all across the ocean - patterns of our speech and motions spiral up the family tree.


10) Family Hands - Mary Chapin Carpenter

BIG HUGE fan of Mary's early in her career; but it's not that I've stopped enjoying her it's just more voices have pushed her into the background.  That's why I love these playlists, I get to go back and listen again.  Enjoy this fan video:


11) Family Name - Sandra McCracken

Not sure how I ended up with this early CD release by Sandra who has a rich contribution into the Christian music world.


12) Family Reserve - Lyle Lovett

One of my favorite songs, let's first get an introduction:



Yes there is a One Click YouTube playlist 




Next steps if you have time:

- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!