DBT #239 Siena Christie "Run So Deep"


Oh Joy... who speaks like that anyway, well I do when I see that Siena put together another six song EP! Now I can fall in love all over again with her voice and her writing.  Her six song EP "Ice Olation" landed in the DBT Reviews at Edition #104 in September of 2022 after the release came out in 2021.  This release is so fresh it squeaks a little (well after one of the songs for sure) being put into the Bandcamp world Sep 12, 2023.

On her trip to play the 2022 Great River Folk Fest, Lori and I had the privilege to host her from Thrusday to Tuesday, and as she left we wondered if we could adopt her and give Dustin finally a sister.  Ha kind of joking, but truly we loved having her around the house.  

Siena says this album is "six songs commemorating my six years in the northwest.
dedicated to Mom, Da, & Rhea."  I know leaving the Portland area is both tough for her and exciting to move to Asheville NC and be closer to more supportive music and bandmates.  (See The Starlight Darlins"  Most of the songs in this set were very familiar to me over the last year, so I'm excited now to have them in the library, and I'm curious as I type this how many I might find in YouTube as well, so let's get started.

1) Sisters

I always think of needing to go to the Sisters Folk Fest someday, my friend Beth Wood is high on it plus has helped put it on in the past.  Siena writes about the road trip with her mom to a beautiful city near them.   Like her Ice Olation Siena does all the studio heavy lifting playing eight instruments on this song but added a beautiful dobro by Eric Smith.  


While I recorded her playing this during her Official Showcase at FARM; this video is closer and a cleaner recording:


2) Beautiful Broken Country

Siena has such a depth in her songwriting and this one she documents her family history with her dad being a Mexican immigrant.

how I’d love to belong here
with gasoline in my lungs
yes, I’d love to belong here
burning charcoal on my tongue
there’s blood on the ground
and we’re all too scared to leave our hearts unlocked
but I’d love to belong in this beautiful broken country
she’s the only home I’ve got



BTW... her dad has some great guitar chops as Siena notes; "released as a single July 4, 2020. this re-release contains revised lyrics & guitar work courtesy of Alonzo Garbanzo, my dad."

And there is a video from a house concert so another great video of the song at it's purest form:


3) Fall on Sauvie Island

Siena delicately weaves personal memories building up to :

my heart falls hard for Sauvie Island
when the fruit falls and the harvest moon is rising
came here from the city, hoping to be changed
fall on Sauvie Island comes
and makes me who I was again

Meanwhile I love the line that she hated kindergarten because they didn't love Dolly Parton.


Here's a pretty lyric video she put together that I thought, sure share it because it's almost fall.


4) Orange Ice Creame

Siena paints a beautiful memory of her "Nana" ... and sorry for those who love the one click YouTube Playlist, this one isn't out in that world yet.


5) Rise Up Singing Book

Boy I love this song, maybe it's because I know what book she's singing about.  Also this version is where you get the truest form of the song.  I know it'll be recorded by The Starlight Darlins someday but this one you get Siena's Mom & Dad singing and laughing at the end.  Precious.  Another void on the video list... boy Siena get the Starlight Darlins together and record this song.


6) Once in a While

A beautiful closer that Siena dedicates to her partner Rhea.


And the video I found for the song was one I took at FARM


If there are videos released for the other two songs, I will add them to this post and to the ONE Click YouTube Playlist:




Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!