DBT #245 Streets Vol. 1

 


When I posted "Cedar Street" by Andrea Von Kampen on our Monday Morning Song, I mentioned how it made me think of "Old College Avenue" by Harry Chapin.  Of course I went and searched and created a playlist of over 50 songs with Street or Avenue in the title; and that was without searching my vinyl yet.

To break this into volumes wasn't too hard, I wanted a mix of legends, friends, and new and old songs.  Let's take a walk down the street:

1) Cedar Street - Andrea Von Kampen

You know since I've met Andrea's music, I've walked down a lot of streets with her but still haven't seen the movie she starred in, "A Chance Encounter"


2) Old College Avenue - Harry Chapin

This song starts with the classic finger picking, Harry walking in the rain, and that sweet cello.  He paints such stories that make me wish that I was there, or remember at times when I was.


3) Lombardi Avenue - Katie Dahl

Katie sings about going to a Packer game without ever really saying it, but she so captures Green Bay.  Right she doesn't have a Bandcamp page yet to share the studio version of this song, but here's a nice solo video.  (Right she says you can buy it on her web site, but only the hard cd version and no preview like BC; it's on this CD that I bought when I saw her live at the Trempealeau Hotel)


4) Kids in the Street - Justin Townes Earle

Title track, so soft gentle reflective story.  Yes these playlists get me to listen deeper into my library.


5) Two Way Street - Annie Bacon

My new friend takes us down a metaphorical street.

When love makes you
You never forget their face
When love breaks you
You carry it the rest of your days
But love’s not always a two way street
Love’s not always a two way street


Fittingly this was one of the songs Annie submitted to the Great River Folk Fest Songwriter contest that landed her into the top three.


6) A Street - Leonard Cohen

From his 2014 album "Popular Problems" and the story again is so rich and so Leonard; and you have to wait to the last verse to know why it's called "A Street" ... here read along and enjoy the mastery.
I used to be your favorite drunk Good for one more laugh Then we both ran out of luck Luck was all we ever had You put on a uniform To fight the Civil War You looked so good I didn’t care What side you’re fighting for It wasn’t all that easy When you up and walked away But I’ll save that little story For another rainy day I know the burden’s heavy As you wheel it through the night Some people say it’s empty But that don’t mean it’s light You left me with the dishes And a baby in the bath You’re tight with the militias You wear their camouflage You always said we’re equal So let me march with you Just an extra in the sequel To the old red white and blue Baby don’t ignore me We were smokers we were friends Forget that tired story Of betrayal and revenge I see the Ghost of Culture With numbers on his wrist Salute some new conclusion Which all of us have missed I cried for you this morning And I’ll cry for you again But I’m not in charge of sorrow So please don’t ask me when There may be wine and roses And magnums of champagne But we’ll never no we’ll never Ever be that drunk again The party’s over But I’ve landed on my feet I’ll be standing on this corner Where there used to be a street



7) Bleeker Street - Lucy Wainwright Roche & Suzzy Roche

Right Simon and Garfunkle's original is in the 50+ playlist, but I love this version, and you get a clean studio and a live performance too; mama is pretty good at the guitar too.



8) H Street Regalia - Alfonso Velez  or U street?

I met Alfonso back in MySpace and while does have a Bandcamp page, this song isn't on it which was on an album named Audiograph released in 2006. But to my amazement, he re-recorded it with a faster beat called U Street Regalia and added horns.  Yes I'll buy this version next Bandcamp Friday, it's in my Wishlist for now.


9) On Grafton Street - Nanci Griffith

On the recent review of the tribute to Nanci, the blog reviewer said he was disappointed that there were no songs from Flyer which he considered her best release.  I'll need to back and listen to it more.  Grafton Street has that Celtic feel that Nanci embraced easily as the studio had the Chieftians join her.


10) Virginia Avenue - Tom Waits

When I did the first 50+ playlist I had two Cohen and two Waits songs without a deep dive into vinyl.  Have to close the playlist with a song from "Closing Time."  It's just like you turned down a street that had a great little jazz club on the corner.


Here's your ONE Click listening playlist (well except for ads) 


Next steps if you have time:

- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!