DBT #249 Weary Ramblers Live at the Bluff View

 

As I thought about the Thursday Release Review I went back to my three rules : 

1) Is it on Bandcamp... 

2) Have I been listening to it...

3) Do I feel a connection to the artists...

Well this week's release of a concert from my house concert by two of the best musicians and songwriters that I've been around maxes out all of the above; so why not share it.  

As the sound guy & host I really make the recording the lowest of my priority and many times I do the dumbest things to screw it up; but on this one Chad and Kathryn had small amps that second as monitors but what they do is mainly are dialed into their setup.  A simple XLR to the sound board, and plug in the stomper pedal and the mix was done. I still could have done one of the many stupid things I've done in the past, like keep the metronome on or patch some random music into the background, BUT I didn't and wow it was great sounding.

I also kept clicking record on the phone that was put on my mic stand holder; EIGHT videos total; and that's not what I do.  If you knew I was going to post that many videos would you just wait for them and forget to come?  I would hope not, but I also think it's supposed to be a quick memory and a quick promo for people to come to the next show.

Ok armed with that, I asked Chad Elliot and Kathryn Severing Fox if I put the concert on Bandcamp I would pass them all the proceeds and then I could send the unlisted videos to anyone buying the album.  They agreed and I went to work; and now you can listen to one of the most eclectic concerts that swung from a borrowed Doc Watson, to a new jazz standard, to flight over Europe, and to a blues song.  Add in some dark fiddling from Lucy a five string electric violin and a ten minute jam song from two acoustic instrumentalists.  The audience was filled with wonder, swaying to songs, and just were awed by these two.

I could try to tell you what each song is about but all the intro tracks do that; so enjoy all THIRTY tracks. Yes Bandcamp gives a few listens for free, but I'm hoping you buy it and be a proud owner and contributor to live music.


Here are the four listed videos from the night; and if you buy the album for a mere $10; I'll email you the four additional video links.  Note that the intros tagged are from the phone mic, and the song is from the audio mix that was used for the songs... so clean.

Track 8 Wide Open Road was previously released song written by Chad on an out of print cd.  (Need to tell that guy to get it on to Bandcamp for us to all to hear and buy.)  It is a 8+ minute video because the introduction and the explanation of Lucy is tagged on the end of the video.



Track 6 Teeter Totter was on Kathryn's recent release "Sweet Beginnings" and again the intro is tagged on the end of the song.



Track 23 Headed My Way was a previously unreleased song, and proof that these two can jam instrumentally.



I was so glad that they did track 16 Bible Belt Saturday Night, and yes this has a great intro story tagged on the video too.



Yes to tease you to buy the album and get the videos from the unlisted videos these are the four songs:





And I have to leave you with their ending song / jam.  Kathryn pulled out Lucy and when it was over I thought wow I've never had a ten minute jam in the house before; so well done could have easily added "There is a Mountain" and moved into another jam.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button






The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!