DBT #255 Why Live Without - Cup O'Joe


Half of this quartet is being shared in the reviews for the second time since The Foreign Landers are half of this band which is family plus one.  Cup O'Joe surprised the dickens out of me this summer when I got a little push (it doesn't take much) to go see them at the Trempealeau Hotel. (BTW Later Amy the hotel proprietar reminded me that I sent them her way via an email in May... Oops my memory)  

Oh my I instantly said wow this is The Foreign Landers who I first saw at Boats & Bluegrass; PLUS TWO.  I guess it really happened the other way since Tabitha Agnew was playing in a band with her brothers Benjamin and Reuben, when they later added her partner in TFL David Benedict.  

Ok before I even get into this review let me take you back to August evening on the deck; I couldn't stop recording them and one of the videos got hosed. I can't tell you if these are in any order but here we go Joe...

Can't Sleep Without Caffeine... you can hear the studio version here.


Hallelujah (not the song you're expecting) 


Rueben covered a John Hartford song since they were next to the Mississippi River.


Tabitha gets her best Irish vocals done on this P Stands for Paddy.


I'll share the last one I taped in the review since it was from their new record; the video I  hated getting messed up was a Bob Dylan cover "Fare Thee Well" and to my joy it was in YouTube so here you go it's an awesome cover with incredible "Sibling Harmony" and top notch instrumentals.


Ok now you know more about about the band and why I would do my best to book them in the house concert series if I could; so let's look at the album.   First I really was tempted to do a "Music has no expiration date" move and pick their previous album "In The Parting" but I'm following the reviewing norms here and taking their recent album. (Keep in mind BOTH are new to me)

1)  Hope

The album starts gently setting the tone for harmonies and incredible banjo picking, there is no need to hope it will continue, it does.


2)  Weathered and Worn

Tabitha brings her "Allison Krause" bluegrass vocal with her brother accenting.  David's mandolin is perfectly setup like Chris Thile sneaking up from behind.


While I'm compelled to share their official video because it's so well done.


Here's also the deck version with a great introduction to know that they love trees! Plus they are Irish and rarely see the sun... they are such fun.


3) Wanna Go

I wanna go follow Tabitha where ever she would like to go (including a hike up Brady's Bluff in Perrot State Park).  Sure she sings that she gets tired, that's just lyrics.  She has such a warm personality, talks in Irish sings in Americana and it comes through the song.


Right... this song she doesn't bring out the banjo.


4) Azazel's Escape

That elite banjo doesn't sit out for long... this train a coming rhythm is to notch bluegrass jamming.


5)  Lamb

Guitar led by Rueben takes on a Christian justice hymn... Amen.


6)  City

The banjo has frail sounding opening, and Tabitha is back on lead taking you to the city gates... definitely more Irish then American unless you are down in St. Augustine's.


7)  Navigator 

Great guitar riff starts us on our journey, and the guest fiddle opens the sails for the south wind.  Let's just state these people are NOT second class, but are comfortable with everyone.


8) Hard Life

There is a local band I tease if I show up late and miss the only song the bass player sings.  I'm not sure totally if Benjamin sings lead on any other, but I know this is his and he knocks it out of the park.





9) Lightning

Not what the title implies, this is a sultry Norah Jones type song with a gentle guitar and no piano.


10) Be True to You

Pick up that tempo, and have a good hope to love song dance.


Love the video, the guys are chopping hard and Tabitha just gently picks out a whale of banjo part.


11) The Old Churchyard

The only traditional song in the mix of all their originals.  So it's a soft closer, and I know sometimes I only highlight my favorites in my reviews; sometime I call it my lazier reviews.  This album I wish there were a few more, so I guess I added them at the beginning.   Keep in mind, I truly have bought both of their albums in Bandcamp, and have their Xmas one on the wishlist.  Easily love In the Parting too.


Right not enough videos to put a YouTube playlist so here's a one click Bandcamp link:


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!