DBT #258 Kerri Powers - Love is Why


A blog patron sent me Kerri's Oct 27th release saying that I would love track 7; and he was so right.  Of course that just drew me into to keeping it on the top of the spin list.  (Meanwhile creating themed playlist Haunting, Cigarettes, Please, and Shake... Yes I love themed playlists)  The Americans Highways released a review of the album, who compared her to five different musicians but this line stood out: 

The musical landscape can be dry & arid but if you dig deep enough, you’ll find some water because great artists are usually right under the surface. But if you find a Kerri Powers there – that’s oil. That’s rich. One of the year’s best.

And then the reviewer picks seven off eleven songs as highlights, hey that's a great percentage and why it's getting a lot of spins at home; really no dud in this album.

Instead of mainstream voices to compare her to, I'd tell you that she fits nicely in my mix with Sarah King, Rory Block, and Tori Sparks.  Passionate and bluesy songs that have strong vocals that clearly tell the story of life that can be both grief filled and dark.  Kerri tells of the songs written during grief off losing her father, 

The album’s original songs were written during the pandemic and after Powers lost her father, whom she calls “my best friend.”

“I wrote the songs from a place of loss and grieving and went from there,” she says. “Writing the songs was hard but a necessary part of healing. At the end of the day, all the songs were written from a place of love for humanity and the need to spread the message that love is essential.”

I also liked this more intimate review from a more local source to her home, The Patriot Ledger.  Sadly we learn losing her father, pandemic and oh yeah toss in a difficult divorce; all are influences to the songwriting in this album.  If you don't get over to read it you'll miss this story:

Powers began her musical career in the late 1980s, debuting in the old Blackthorne Tavern in South Easton, where she waitressed. When the dynamic Irish singer/songwriter Luka Bloom headlined the Blackthorne, Powers opened for him, and he was mightily impressed by her talent and stage presence. Bloom said Powers reminded him of Raymond Chandler’s timeless description: “She’s got a look that could make a bishop kick out a stained-glass window.”

Let's get into some music:

1) Rosie Blue 

She starts it slow and steady, and toasts to Rosie Blue and the mystery of love. I could say it a lot in this review but I love the tasteful use of the organ.  Fitting she covers Gregg Allman on the album.

All my life I’ve wondered what it’s like to fly
How to get somewhere soaring over mountain tops
You said, “That dream’s too big to realize,
So I stayed aground, kept my head down
Learned to live a lie

Rosie Blue
Rosie Blue
Stop trying to tell me I can’t get high
Hey, Rosie Blue
I let you in
And I don’t know why


2) Love is Why

If this title track came from that messy divorce, I think Kerri was putting in the love needed.

I’d put my needs aside
To help you anytime
You know I would
But you tangle up my life
Make a mess; I make it right
And that’s no good
No doubt there’s something wrong with me
To keep dragging through your fire

Love is, love is, love is, love is why
Love is, love is, love is, love is why
Love is love
There is no other reason



3) Morning Glory, Midnight Blue

Dang I love how the acoustic guitar slides you into this song; a perfect blues song that could have been covered by the Allman Brothers with Duane on the slide and Dicky accenting it.


While the studio version brings me to the Allmans, the live solo version is why 7-Time Blues Award winning Rory Block comes to mind.


4) When it Rains

She does her best Dylan whining in this tasty rocker... 

I wiped the mud off my boots and knocked on your door
You slipped the lock and said, “Don’t come to see me no more”
Your eyes were so empty; the space was too hard to ignore
Maybe you’ll change when you know what your heart’s beating for


5) Wine and Spirits

Grief pours out in this one, and she hits the right line that most people think "Leave me alone I'll work it out" especially with a dry red wine.

I’d like to raise a toast
To the shadows in this room
The mirror casts the truth
On how lonely I’ve become
Before I pour another one


6) Rummage Through my Love

Bonnie Raitt should cover this little rocker one!


Yes! Another great live recording.


7) Please Call Home

David Enge was absolutely right, I love this cover.  I started listening without reading anything and was immediately thinking a duet? oh I know that voice? Stinking PAUL THORN.  We had our first time seeing him live this summer.  This song is on Gregg's first solo album and I've written about it in the blog, but I initially was confused if it was a Gregg penned song because I also loved "Please Be With Me" that Cowboy wrote and Duane played on it.  I love when revisiting a song dusts off memories, so I put a playlist together of songs that start with Please.  Yes I will share it some day but here's a tease:





8) Presence of the Faithful

Such another tasteful mix, this time I thought they brought Mark Knopfler into the studio.  This one needs to be in a playlist on Angels.


9) Rusted Bell

This a favorite of mine; such a great vocal on a story about mama and papa.


10) Someone Else's Prayer

Another songs poured out from love and grief.


11) Are We Free

Loved the ending song highlights Kerri on piano.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!