DBT #261 Joshua Quimby (self titled)

Last Bandcamp Friday was a busy day being the day we hosted Barnaby Bright at the Bluff View, but I couldn't help but quickly spend some money on my wish list.   I picked up some music from digital and real friends, tried music from a headliner at Moccasin Creek Fest, and added my first album from Joshua Quimby who I met at a songwriter jam at Alex Toast's house over a month ago.  So here's the three hours of music purchased, and I do love how Ira Wolf shows up so frequently in this graphic because she has different graphics per her multiple releases in her album "Rock Bottom."

Now as I admitted in my Edition 260, I've been a little distracted and a month later 50% of that music hasn't had it's first listen yet, but I have stopped back a lot to Joshua's album.  Definitely the cover looks like artwork that was influenced by old country records like Johnny Cash's "Now There was a Song" including putting the list of songs and the musicians playing on the release.  Now the sound of the album has Joshua's raspy story telling voice, great stripped down acoustic instruments, and percussive bass & mandolin to make it move without a drum kit.  (yes I'm kind of on record drums are not necessary.)

So let's take you back to when music was fun, and Joshua proves it still can be.

1) Ticket to Hartford

I knew from my brief introduction to his music at Alex's house that Josh's got a great old gravelly voice for a a kid.  I love it and the album kicks off with some elite bouncy storytelling, harmonies and some God Damn feeling.


2) To The Choir

This song's beat has a throwback nod to Ghost Riders, and I love his use of preaching to the choir.  The fiddle stands out with a nice lead as the mandolin gives the chop you expect without a drum kit.  He never tires of Mary Jane, but who does.


Joshua has several of these videos on this channel, all well worth the feel of why I said that night, "dang I've got to look up his music"



3) Crescent Smile

Here is a nice waltz for missing his sweetheart.  I can relate that thinking of her makes him the happiest he's been in a while;  so grab your bestie and waltz them around the kitchen.


4) Gears 

The tone is set with nice picking and fiddle, and then the story gives you an insight to a struggling soul with a bleak outlook.  Keep those gears churnin' you'll be fine young man your future is bright.


Here's a great video of the song.



5) What's a Man to Do

Ok let's pick up the tempo, and it's a sing a long.  You have to answer with him...  "What's a man to do?"  Women, love them and they take off, dang.


6) I'm Yours, I'm Yours, I'm Yours

A mysterious uncredited banjo shows up, and Josh feels safe and gives up easily.


7) Blackened and Blue

Ok I'm a sucker for a song that starts "Gather around friends..."  Here's a new take on poor soul smoking reefer until lungs blackened and blue; now you might feel as sorry for him as you might a coal miner; but the song is as good.


8) We've Made it to the Station

Well we made it to the end of this tasty album, and with this upbeat song you're wishing there was a few more songs.  Sure it's another love song, why not it's got that great feel good line, "with you I've found a home"


Thanks again Alex for introducing me to your friend.  Dang good.

Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!