DBT #260 The Pete & Pat Show Playlist 1

 


My lack of consistent blog posts can be linked back to acquiring twin orange tabbies back in late September.  If you have followed the blog or my life you knew our family was blessed with a delightfully unique 27 pound Maine-coon mix Hobbes, and he left us too soon at 7 years old.  We took the summer off to replace him because we had too many places to go and things to do to raise some kittens.  Fall has been a perfect time, and when we went to pick through a litter of four orange tabbies we couldn't decide and ended up coming up with two brothers Pete and Pat.  

Naming cats has always been fun over our lifetime, and the half hour drive to the farm to pick up the cat(s) we had decided, Only One, and that's it's name would be Pete.  Why?  No real reason at the time but it sounded fun, and we hadn't had a Pete yet.  We had a Willie twice (for Willie Nelson), we had a Jackson (for Jackson WY), Mitsy, Bandit, Sammie, Tobias, Lilly, Hobbes (yes after Calvin and) and Lady Olivia (named for Downton Abbey).  Of course holding the kittens we had a hard time deciding and quickly said, ok two.  Officially that puts us back to three in the house and we've had three many times in our lives.  

Ok we had Pete, so while Lori vetoes Repeat, I quickly gave Pat as a suggestion because then we would have the rhythm section of the Humbird band, Pete Quirsfeld & Pat Keen.  Of course, we love a music tie-in and these two guys are great people too.  

Ok so now you know why a music blog is talking about Cats, is there more?  Oh yes.  It didn't take too many pictures posted to my Facebook page when friends asked when they were going to have their own page like Hobbes did.  Well it didn't take much of a push and The Pete and Pat Show was established on Facebook and then for practice on Instagram so they were already reaching out more than Hobbes.  Now the music side of the playlist, the videos I took of them quickly became hotly requested by their fans and a spot I could have fun finding a song that fit the video.  THUS, we're finally to the music of the blog post.

Episode ONE - "What do You do with a Catnipped Kitty" by Marc Gunn

Marc has some great cat songs, and has a few cat parody albums in the world.  Marc can be found many times at Renaissance fairs in his kilt with his autoharp.


Episode Two - "The Cat / Etain McKinny's Polka" by Liz Carroll & Jake Charron

I went to my Cats playlist to find this perfectly quick Irish medley by Liz Carroll & Jake Charron, a tune I bought in iTunes.  Liz Carroll played the Great River Folk Fest once and inspired the best local fiddler, Jessie McDonald to play at a very young age.


Episode Three  - Mouse Torture by Tim Harmston and Reels by Two Tap Trio

I was so pumped to see I had an album with Tim Harmston's joke, "Mouse Torture"  Cheese boarding a mouse pretty topical at one point when we thought GW might have been the worse President.  Boy were we wrong, it could get much worse.  The reels are by friends Two Tap Trio; both have played our house concert series. (Tim with his funny wife Mary Mack.)  This also was when I had created the Pete & Pat Show logo.  (Simple text but I loved how Magnite Alt looked like the way I'd make a P)



Episode Four - "The Jedi Drinking Song" by Brobdingnagian Bards

Yes we're back to Marc Gunn this time with the duo the Brobdingnagian Bards.  The magic Jedi sword was a dance stick from our neighbor Rachel and Tanner's wedding.  I'm not sure we were supposed to take them home, but when we thought about how the kitties would love it; we didn't think twice.  The video gave me such joy to put together and it was the first time I recognized an Episode number in the video.



Episode Five - "Will Your House Be Blessed"  - Mother Banjo

Episode Five is the first one from the boys adventures in the rest of the house.  Before that they were quarantined to our three season room; mostly so that they wouldn't get lost.  They had plenty of room in there to run and jump; and still call it their home base.  Sadly as I type this it's too cold to keep heating when we have a plenty large enough house to roam.  Ellen Stanley is Mother Banjo and I loved the album this song is from.  Yes our house is blessed and now a little more messy with the boys ranging free.



Episode Six - "The Boxer" by Bob Dylan cover of Paul Simon

From Dylan's panned 1970 "Self Portrait" but it has gained some fan interests since it's median value on Discogs is a healthy $14.99.  The video was from their new box in the large house concert room.  You'll note many of the video have chairs up.  We left the room half set during the month of October between the Weary Ramblers and Barnaby Bright concerts.  I always thought the second voice was Paul Simon, but after I bought the vinyl and noted Paul isn't credited as a musician on the album I researched it more.  Yes that's Bob doing a rare overdub, one in his crooner voice and one his normal.


Episode Seven - "Shake" by Samantha Farrell

Yes you must use Sam's Shake song when we're sharing a video of the kitties playing with a mini-pom from my WinCraft days.  It was actually a Hobbes kitty toy from seven plus years ago.  Fitting Sam is also a digital friend from back in 2006; and this song was a huge hit with Lori's daycare kids, and we would have Shelly cover it in our Rose River band.



Episode Eight - "Flying Back to You" - The Foreign Landers

This summer we had a chance to meet these two talented musicians as half of Cup O'Joe, and of course I had reviewed one of their releases; and now I hear their music close my eyes and I can see Tabitha's sweet smile and smooth banjo playing; and oh yeah David's towering presence and delicate mandolin too.  The video has a Blue Mouse flying on a E Guitar string after the string were changed.



Episode Nine -  "The Darkness is Delicate & Wild" - Stone and Snow

Oh my if Episode Four was fun, this one blew me away.  I loved how it turned out.  The boys had discovered that the metal folding chairs I had set up against the wall to warm up in the house created a great tunnel.  As I played with the videos, a black & white and a silent movie filter gave it that haunted look, the end sequence is the best.  Then I found an absolute perfect eerie instrumental tune from Stone and Snow who are musicians that are friends, played the house concert; and Karen is a huge cat lover too.



Episode Ten - Kelvinsgrove - Dave Schipper

Yep what started as just a learning experience using the new filters and AI background generating options in Photoshop turned into a storybook.  After I jokingly said I should do a kid's book; I had it done within 72 hours.  We'll consider this the end of Playlist (Season) 1 for the blog.  There are more Episodes released and in the YouTube Pete & Pat Show playlist; but I'll share the stories and song links in a future blog post.


YES, each page was a delight to create, and Lady Olivia's Duckie has always been a huge favorite of hers, and she is known to carry it around the house singing to it.  Then she drops it as soon as we see her.  If you want to fund making this into a real book; just let me know.


Yes we now have TWENTY Episodes, check out Playlist 2 here:




Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!