DBT #264 December


Ah, as I have said before; while these blog posts are for public consumption; they are selfishly motivated.  Reviews slow me down and let me immerse myself in the album, and Playlists shuffle the library into a bite size examples of songwriting and voices.  Today while I could share one of the playlists that I have made but not posted, or try a new slice.  I went to the later with the theme of December Songs as I thought about the gray day that laid ahead.  I have done January before, so let's go.

1) December - Humbird

Siri of Humbird has written many a songs for months, so it's fitting she starts this playlist with her delicate thumb Kalimba, which she calls a Sansula in the liner notes.

Float me down
Down to the ground
Nights are dark
December is cold
Do you know a fire
I can melt under?


Now there is a lyric video for this song, but I love to see Pete & Pat in action for this song, the setting, song and video work is perfectly creepy like a dark December night.


2) December - Sofia Talvik

I love to follow one friend with another; sadly this relational song ends in December.


3) Cold December Flies Away - Storyhill

From their Bethlehem album, I'm really starting to love the voices in this playlist as the harmonies and such a tasteful mandolin turns this hymn into a special folk song.  


For those readers who like the YouTube Playlist at the end, this version of the song was not available, so how about one of those choir songs:


4) December 31 - Andy Baker

Oh shoot, this should have been the last song; ha.  Andy isn't on Bandcamp but I'm overly lucky that he had this song recorded with a great band.  Yes Andy was a Great River Folk Fest Songwriter contest winner that I've met a few times; what a great soul he is.


5) December Day - Don Lange

Oh yeah, here's that Chicago folk singer that went on to start an a classy winery in the Northwest.  Funny this December song promotes healing a seasonal disorder with Gin, not wine Don?  We so enjoyed seeing Don live back in the late 70's in Manitowoc.


6) December Moon - Henry Girls

Wow, it took until the 6th song for me not to personally know the musician, and I would love to know The Henry Girls  Yes the three sisters are based out of Ireland, but they have toured the states and one of these days I want to see them.  Right I had to buy this in iTunes, no Bandcamp.  Now there are some videos of them doing this song live, but that light percussion in the studio version is a must to hear.


7) East December - Porter & the Bluebonnet Rattlesnakes

Hold on to your hats, this one rocks. I bought the album after I heard the story from Bonnie of the Whitmore Sisters about Chris Porter dying way too early.  Find her song "Ballad of Sissy & Porter" in this review.


8) If We Make it Through December - Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe owns this Merle Haggard song.


9) This December - Stone & Snow

Ah back to voices that I've met, and hosted in our house concert series.  Let's travel with Karen and Clint on those December roads as they reflect on the dark season with glitter abound.


10) December - National Park Radio

I truly haven't absorbed all the music of this band that I added back in March of 2023; yes with a name like that, it's a band.  So let's end this playlist with a wonderful song.  The band?  I guess it's a duo.

National Park Radio is a nationally touring indie-folk “power duo” based in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas. With an impressive and consistently growing grassroots fanbase across the U.S. (and the world), husband and wife duo Stefan & Kerrie Szabo have made a name for themselves over the past several years with their beautiful harmonies, incredibly inspiring and relatable songwriting, and their unique and energetic live shows.

Perfect for fans of: The Avett Brothers, Caamp, The Lumineers, The Head and the Heart, First Aid Kit, Mumford & Sons


Ok here is a ONE Click YouTube Playlist.


 Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!