DBT #269 Minstrel Boy Save His Soul


Today I knew I had a great opportunity to listen to a new playlist because I had snow to blow, shovel and sweep.  Yes two days in a row, finally it looks like winter out there, so blow the snow off the drive, sweep the snow off the solar panels, and shovel the deck.  I looked at my most recent adds and I clicked liked on Dylan's Minstrel Boy off of his Self Portrait vinyl I got within the last two weeks.  It a raucous little sing along with The Band and it was a pre-curser to his Basement Tracks and included on the Complete BT Bootleg Vol. 11.   I looked up the lyrics and decided that a playlist could easily be made from this song:

Who’s gonna throw that minstrel boy a coin? Who’s gonna let it roll? Who’s gonna throw that minstrel boy a coin? Who’s gonna let it down easy to save his soul?
Oh, Lucky’s been drivin’ a long, long time And now he’s stuck on top of the hill With twelve forward gears, it’s been a long hard climb And with all of them ladies, though, he’s lonely still

1) Minstrel Boy by Bob Dylan


2) Boy With a Coin - Iron & Wine

Of course, right?  What a great video btw.


3) Soul of a Man - Maria Muldaur

I love Maria, and when I found I had two totally different covers of this old song they both got in the playlist.


4) Before They Close the Minstrel Show - Lissa Schneckenburger

This 2005 released song was an early clue that convinced me that I will love any music Lissa puts out.


5) I Can Feel the Sweet Wind Blowing (Bless my soul) - Bill Staines

I still marvel that he just snuck this song on to his kid's music cd.  I almost put this song in the playlist twice too because Rich Kirby & Michael Kline do an awesome cover on "They Can't Put It Back" (an album for coal mining)


6) I've Got Jesus in My Soul - Johnny Cash

I picked this gospel song over a Willie Nelson one because Johnny was such a good friend to Bob. The albumA Believer Sings The Truth was a great pick up for $5 this summer.


7) Save My Soul - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

I knew I'll be outside a while so why not a 6 minute groove blues; and I have to admit this is the first time I watched him live in a video.


8) Laughlin Boy - Tracy Grammer

I laughed since Bob is a theme running through this playlist, he can tell many a story and he can't tell a lie either.


9) Trouble About My Soul - The Trishas

I rarely pass up any opportunity to listen to the Trishas, so when this came up in the search I pounced on it.  Amazingly it's a Music Fog video that I hadn't hit like to yet.


10) Soul of a Man (feat. Prudence Johnson) - Randy Sabien

Ok this song rocks for nearly 8 minutes and it's a great contrast to Maria's cover.


Right I didn't even try to find any of these songs in Bandcamp since they came from iTunes buys of imports from Vinyl and CDs.  Here is the ONE click YouTube playlist for your easy of listening.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!