DBT #276 Rocky Mountain Folks Fest


Wow, surprisingly I never shared a post about Lori and I going to our first ever Rocky Mountain Folks Fest in Lyons CO.  We really enjoyed ourselves, so much we just bought tickets for a return visit and this time we're staying 3 minutes from downtown rather than 24 minutes away in Longmount.  We booked last year to see Shanna in a Dress who won the Songwriter contest the year before.  Then they booked our WI musician friends of Humbird and Dead Horses too.  Gracious.  I put most of our adventures into videos and must have shared them only on the Facebook and YouTube page.  So here we go.

The first recap had a song from John Denver because heck it is in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.  As I stated in the video notes:

What a simply wonderful first time experience going to the Rocky Mountain Folks Fest in Lyons CO. I hit most musicians we saw in this video and it gave me an opportunity to share some of the river clips I took The two women crossing the water were sisters and they were so hilarious. The little kitty in front of us Sunday night too was so adorable. Families were everywhere. YEAH... raise your children right.


Yes, I even took out my phone and wrote an ode to Festival Girl, and the Phoebe Hunt song was exactly how she sounded in the Wildflower Pavilion.  Here's the prose in this video:

What a simply wonderful first time experience going to the Rocky Mountain Folks Fest in Lyons CO. Families were everywhere. YEAH... raise your children right. There were also Festival Girls every where and it inspired me to write the piece in this post. Here is the piece: Festival girl Here’s to the freedom of joy You dressed in your hippy print The wind blowing through you hair Delighted in what the notes hint Well away from the day to day Here among friends you don’t know Your eyes sparkle to strangers And you don’t care what shows Will you remember this for years? Will you return to raise your children? Will you be the old lady in the river? Will you worry about money spent? Here’s to the freedom of now Let the wind blow and hair flow You are the festival girl today And you will reap the smiles you sowed The song in the background is from Phoebe Hunt's album "Nothing Else Matters" that I got signed of course at the fest.


We learned so much about the fest rules and etiquette that we'll be better prepared for next year.  Shanna was why we came there and I got two videos of her.  She tells me that I might have been the only one who took videos so here they are:



We are also excited to see Cindy Kalmenson ('23 Songwriter Winner) on Stage; and we got to know her a little that she is good friends with Natalie Gelman.  Here's a taste of her whit:


Phoebe Hunt and Mary Guathier were surprises for us because RMFF hadn't released the Wildflower Pavilion schedule. Oh my we could have stayed there the whole fest.  Phoebe had brought up Melody Walker, and I thought wow that women's great.  I wrote about it in the post Edition 227 "The Missing Stair"  As I was buying and getting Phoebe's new vinyl signed, I met Melody to find she was the lead singer for "Front Country".. no wonder she was awesome.

I caught here filling in a slot in the pavilion (nope she wasn't on the schedule I don't think)  Dang she's good and I've been following her ever since.


Funny I have seen Phoebe twice now, and both times solo with a fiddle; and she is so good.


Here's "The Missing Stair"... for me 2,400 views is viral; but when they released this song it has been a hit everywhere.


So here is the link for all the videos, so looking forward to 2024 which includes familiar artists of Michaela Anne, Peter Mulvey and Pokey LaFarge, artists I follow and haven't seen yet Bonny Light Horseman and Margo Cilker, and several new that intrigue me The Wood Brothers, The Watson Twins, Jamestown Revival and The Faux Paws.

Next blog steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!