DBT #297 When We Rise - Jess Klein


The Dave's Basement Tracks reviews are not for sale, and they definitely are not regular enough to have people come to sponsor it.  Ha, sponsors labels probably hate it with my one of my three rules stating it needs to be on Bandcamp.  Sorry, you will never hear my thoughts on Beyonce's Cowboy Carter, (though I do like it).  After last weeks post on Jaimee Harris's album, this summer has to have Jess Klein's Sep 2023 release "When We Rise" included in the blog.

Jess started to me as a name that I was going to see twice in 2024 as we plotted out our hitting SERFA and Moccasin Creek Festival.  You know you need to trust the people organizing festivals and conferences; no one wants to embarrass themselves or the artist.  I've been there so many times booking people for GRFF or the house concert.  Risks are minimized.  I would argue stop waiting for artist release and just buy tickets to your favorite event and enjoy the complexity of life.

So we met Jess at SERFA and who couldn't embrace any artist with the song like "In it for the Love" I'm not sure exactly if this is out in a studio version, but the story brings tears to my eyes thinking as much for Jess as for the many independent musicians that I follow.


Ok she became more I my radar but after SERFA I did the thing where you say why not buy the whole library in Bandcamp and I'm still trying to absorb that much music. I was immediately drawn to "When We Rise" because of "Annie's Place"  Boy it's a great album, and this review from Guitar Girl is a great recap from conversations with Jess:

The article recaps it's another pandemic produced piece, which I find myself so thankful because it seems some artists embraced the period with some of their best songwriting.

I'm already on record with my Monday Morning Song that "Annie's Place" is going to go down as one of my all time favorites, so you can read and listen to it by clicking here.

The next song that grabbed me on so many levels was "In the Arms of a Song"  Instantly the title took me to a favorite song "Arms of of Woman" by Amos Lee; so the title got me to pause to listen to an incredible story wrapped in music and putting the needle on the vinyl.  Between these two songs, my vote for best use of Arms goes to Jess.  While she was scrawny, I was too and music gave my life clarity and vision of what could be.  Yes in high school I was a very avid writer until I had to get a job and get serious about getting educated to be an accountant.  Luckily in my 30-40's I was able to reconnect to songwriting and of course blogging and more.  This song brings those memories back.


The intense song that you could label her #MeToo song is a rocker and damn you just want to either high five her or give her a passionate (if allowed) hug.  "Never Gonna Break Me Down" is one where those a-holes males should really get a punch in the F-ing groin.  The review noted above says it this way:

Never Gonna Break Me” finds Klein looking back at her teenage self to offer words of strength and encouragement during a period of adversity and slut-shaming. As a seasoned woman artist, her years of wisdom and experience resonate to empower all young women to buck off oppression and never back down.



I do absolutely love the soft ending to the album with her immigrant story, "That was My Family"



This is a little smaller version of my reviews but don't consider it to mean I love this album any less, I love it.  Here is a full album link:


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!