DBT #308 1974 - 50th Anniversary

 


1974 I was a sophomore in high school, and coming into my highest point of drug use.  Boy don't get me wrong, I wasn't unusual back then and I was probably much on the low end, and was soon clean by 18.  I often thought my love for music was paved in concrete during that time; of course I loved music before and after.  1974 really was the first time music became all consuming and I started to play guitar.  No this is not a love letter to drugs; what it is, is my recognition as I was importing new old vinyl being released in 1974, it was fifty frickin' years ago.  Ok I figured the NEW 1974 was because I didn't have enough money to buy music. (Ha I actually had a decent KFC job and no bills.)  What I think is happening is much richer and worth this journey. 

I will bring 25 songs from 25 albums in my collection, and I'll think about another 25 someday because it is amazing that someone in some studio or office is recording and releasing these great artists Fifty Years ago and I still think you should listen and love them too today.  

I took no scientific approach to finding these 25, and I'm thinking the next 25 are always likely.  My Apple Music and Discogs made this possible: and yes I passed some they showed me to get most of my favorite or significant songs...


Right... I might have to substitute based I what I can find on YouTube:

1) After the Gold Rush - Prelude

Sure maybe Discogs sort was year and alpha, but this Neil Young song was 1974 to me.  Give it up 14 years ago someone uploaded a 1974 video.  Now I really remember this crush I had back then.


2) The Entertainer - Billy Joel

Boy I loved this record and for some odd reason it also reminds me of working at KFC.


3) Pirates Looks at Forty  - Jimmy Buffet

I definitely wore our A1A, and I bought a guitar song book to cut my fingers and learn all the songs.  This story song I've played as long as I went for 17 to 66 and still love the perspective.  Here's a great interview a small trio with no other than Jerry Jeff Walker.


4) Practice What You Preach - Santana

Yes seeds of being a good person... I hated hypocrites at church who would say racist comments.  I hope you see already in four songs I had a pretty wide taste range.  This song is so smooth, slowly moving it the groove waiting to space Santana's solos.


5) Bring It On Home - Dave Mason

Oh I love the fact that later in life I learned to cover on this record.


6) Living Legend - Bob Gibson

Here's one of the recent purchases that I made to find it was a 1974 release.  I bought it because a few songs were co-writes with Shel Silverstein, and while most of the album is not overly rememberable, this song is perfect for a guy later in his music career. 


7) Pa Came Home Quiet as the Evening - Greg Brown

Nope I did buy this inaugural Greg Brown album in 1974, but I'm sure glad I bought it early if you looked for this now expect to pay $50-150 for it; if people are willing to give it up.  Yes Dick Pinney on the record was pretty good too.   The only audio recording I could find for you is the ENTIRE record, but no fear it's the first song.  Awesome pictures from Greg's career if you have the time to listen and watch.


8) Faithless Love - Linda Ronstadt 

When I saw Linda released Heart Like a Wheel in 1974 I knew the decision of which song to pick was going to be tough.  Picking a JD Souther song wasn't because he is the songwriter I admire most from the 70's; and while there's a lower quality live recording of her singing it with JD; nothing beats that gentle banjo from Herb Peterson and JD also sings on the recording.  Now if you haven't heard JD recently passed away and yes I need to a playlist of my memories of his music, but first I need to finish this one.  Ha.


9) Highway Call - Richard Betts

Ah thank you Dickey Betts for all the memories, and again I was so happy to see this album was also a 1974 release.  Of course you should hop over and read and listen to RIP Dickey Betts Edition no. 287


10) It'll Shine When it Shines - The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Another album I wore out and of course it talks to how easily I became a folky later in life.  While you can't beat the production quality from Glyn Johns. (Yes someday I should do a blog post of just his produced albums.)  While I have been accused of being a little hyper in my life, I always aspired to be a good old boy that learned to wait.


11) They Ain't Making Jews Like Jesus Anymore - Kinky Friedman

Well a little warning that Kinky does use the N word in this song, but it's a perfect use coming for the best (and maybe the only?) country singer who was Jewish.  With the way the society has gone, we haven't gained much traction since 1974,  RIP Kinky.  (btw the back up singers on the song are :  Billy SwanBobby RussellDan Beck (3)Tompall GlaserWaylon JenningsWillie Fong YoungWillie Nelson)


12) Hobo Mandolin - Tom Rush

Here's another more recent old vinyl purchase and found out it was pretty special and influenced a few folkie friends of mine.  This song was written my Michael Smith who wrote "The Dutchmen" that Steve Goodman made popular.  I did get a chance to see him at the Great River Folk Fest.


13) For a Dancer - Jackson Browne

Again so many songs on this album that I loved, if not the entire album.  "For a Dancer" while it is somber about death, it always reminded me of a crush I had on Marcia in high school and she was a dancer. (ha I guess it still does but she's a faded memory of sitting next to her on the bus.)


14) Fishin - Elvin Bishop

Yep somber to playful; heck I love this song but still hate to go fishing.  Ever since I accidentally cast my dad's fishing rod into the water.  In fairness it was too early and I hadn't learned the magic of coffee yet.  I really should go back and import the whole album, Dickey Betts helps out on the recording too.


15) Light Shine - Jesse Colin Young

Oh my I was a big fan, though I found myself hitting only three to four songs per album.  This was only his second album released.  Yes earlier he was in the Youngbloods and wrote the classic "Get Together"  "Come on people smile on your brother" dang that speaks to me today; I wish it could melt the hard hearts of those MAGA nuts/


16) Love's Been Good To Me - Rod McKuen

Ok this compilation album was released, but this is an older song.  I am weirdly romantic and attracted to Rod's singing and writing.  Yes I still own Rod's poetry books.  I even recorded it and after listening to it; I think it will be the song in the playlist; though if you want to hear Rod (CLICK HERE)


17) Post World War Two Blues - Al Stewart

While my favorite Al Stewart is Modern Times which came out in 1975, I love this recent vinyl purchase, and I love how he brings in some of my favorite songs into the third verse.


18) Bloody Mary Morning - Willie Nelson

Willie became important to me four years later in 1978 when Lori and I saw him live at Summer Fest in Milwaukee.  He of course was establishing his sound that would rock the world in the next few years.


19) Forever Young - Bob Dylan

In 1974 I probably wasn't listening to Bob Dylan much until 1975 when he released Blood on the Tracks, but this Asylum released record got into my library pretty quickly.  Both versions are great I've always like the faster version.


20) After Midnight - Maggie Bell

I bought this vinyl because of the songs, nice blues though her cover of John Prine was just too different for me to import.  She nailed this JJ Cale song though, she's got some Janis in her voice.


21) Boney Maroney - Johnny Winter

On Saints & Sinners Johnny had some great covers, and this one is so fun.


22) Penny Lane - Kenny Rankin

When doing this post I found I never imported any songs from Silver Morning; fixed!  He's was such a great interpreter of music; this Beatles cover is definitely close to better than the original.


23) Morning Sky - Dan Fogelberg

Again I found I had nothing imported from Souvenirs.  Funny I think later albums were mostly Dan covering all the instruments and vocals but on this one Graham Nash, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Glen Frey are all over the record.


24) Slow Dancer - Boz Scaggs

Remember I said I'm a secret romantic, this vinyl has so many favorites.  While I kept buying and trying Boz records earlier and later (five in the library), nothing was ever better than this 1974 release.


25) The Best of My Love - The Eagles

Another song co-written by JD Souther, and produced by Glyn Johns (only two songs on "On the Border") 


Alright here's your One Click YouTube playlist, and if you are curious what will be on my potential second list of 25 songs from that year.  So am I; and I only have 3 more months to do it.  I'm pretty happy with these 25. You know my blog's motto, "Good Music has NO Expiration Date" and these songs mean as much to me today as they did when they were released.


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

#bestunknown #MusicBlog #GoodMusicHasNOExpirationDate

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!