Dave's Music #59 Trouble


 Sam Nitzberg and I were connecting over music and he was pitching his band "The Old Part of Town" which I found I already had bought one of their releases.  It was a great conversation finding out about his Dylan Tribute projects too, plus I asked him if he had a theme I should cover, and he said "How about "Trouble"? Here's the video of us recording the lead track off the new album "Good Trouble":


Twist my arm... I went and bought the single, and he sent me a link for a promo copy of the rest of the release; we're armed for a new playlist.  A search of trouble in the library again was over 25, so we'll do a tasty dozen troublesome songs. Oh my is it a fun playlist that shot straight up to NEXT, and it doesn't have so many that are in the library.  As I retire I'll be importing more vinyl, so these lists will be getting more interesting.

1) Trouble - Ray LaMontagne

Saw this sitting available, and had to start my playlist... now of course a big name like him he's not on Bandcamp, but we're saved by 2005 AOL Session really would have been great to see live.


2) Trouble - The Sweetback Sisters

They are the type of sisters I expect to flirt with Trouble.


3) Good Trouble - Kit Mayer

A LaCrosse legend slides his "Dire Straits" type groove in a set of Good Trouble.


4) I'm Troubled - Crooked Still

Aoife O'Donovan will always be favorite in her many band iterations, but she never sounded better in the eclectic Crooked Still.  She isn't any trouble for me to listen to.  2010 release! Again reconfirms this blog's mission to keep ALL music alive and not just recent releases.  Good Music has NO EXPIRATION Date, it just waits to be devoured fresh.


5) If Trouble Comes A Lookin' - Emily Scott Robinson

Oh my I'm kicking myself I didn't drive 2 1/2 hours on a Sunday to see this rising star, maybe when I'm retired.  This cut is off her most recent release, and mark her name down; her name will be a household name soon.  The little affair story demands lyrics (reads a story) , streaming link, and video.

What is there in Little Rock at the Hilton Double Tree
Just a woman far from home a thousand miles out to sea
She walks over to the window, pulls the curtain shut
Pours three fingers of whiskey in a flimsy plastic cup
Sits down on the bedspread, takes off her wedding ring
If she does something dark enough he might just set her free
It’s her mother’s mother’s diamond in a shining golden band
Another woman who spent most her life loving the wrong man

If trouble comes a’ lookin’ she won’t be hard to find
She’s sitting in the hotel bar on her second glass of wine
She put a pretty dress on, wiped the tears out of her eyes
And if trouble comes a’lookin she won’t be hard to find

Just two floors down is Brother John from Our Lady of Grace
He is older now but handsome still with such a lonely face
He picked a hotel off the Interstate where even God won’t find him
Runs his fingers through the rosary and locks the door behind him
How was Christ so perfect, how on earth did he resist
The perfume on a woman’s neck, the softness of her lips
He burned and burned for years with the fire of devotion
But some things are impossible to stop once they’re in motion

If trouble comes a’lookin’ he won’t be hard to find
He’s sitting in the hotel bar on his second glass of wine
Across the empty room he glances up to meet her eyes
And if trouble comes a ‘lookin’ he won’t be hard to find

At quarter til the bartender will make the final call
She’ll slip down off her stool and sway slowly down the hall
And he’ll kiss her like she always wanted, back against the wall
And she’ll step out of her dress looking like Eve before the fall

If trouble comes a ‘lookin they won’t be hard to find
They’re tangled in each other’s arms in room 229
They’ve never strayed this far into the shadows of the night
And if trouble comes a’ lookin’ they won’t be hard to find
Not every infidelity is bound to end in shame
She’ll smile one month later when a letter bears his name
Brother John has gone to France and Italy to travel
Where all of his ideas of God will happily unravel

credits






6) Trouble in Mind - Willie and Leon

Here's a vinyl song that slipped in... dang I loved the double vinyl release; and of this song also has Maria Muldaur and Bonnie Raitt... All Star lineup Bonnie on slide, Mickey on harp.


7) Trouble is - Justin Townes Earle

My journey to love JT's music is moving along and is no trouble.


8) Troubles - The Onlies

I can never get enough of Viv and Riley and when I found they were in The Onlies, I was on it like fleas on a hound dog, just not enough trouble for me to have some good down home music in playlist.


9) Trouble in the Fields - Courtney Yasmineh (Nanci Griffith cover)

Courtney's cover cd is one of my favorite, she did has just the right amount of pain in her voice for this song; plus she adds just enough variation in the chorus to make it hers.


10) Troubled Soul - Dan Reeder

Love Dan's humor, and I find the best blended into a playlist.


11) Trouble's Out to Play - Shanda & the Howlers

I'm not sured what lured me over to the Rum Bar Records promo release, and while I didn't pay a lot for the mix, most was not in my style.  THIS song has a great throwback to what I grew up on, and I put Shanda on my future want list.


12) Good Trouble - The Old Part of Town

This is where we started, we have had leaders that did get us into Good Trouble.


Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!