Dave's Music #83 Moccasin Creek 2022 Part 1


Yes Moccasin Creek Fest handed out some posters as we were leaving Sunday and now it's on the mud room wall of fame.  If you are a friend of mine on Facebook you might be saying enough already, I get you went to an awesome music festival in Effingham IL, so why not pause and document some of the new musicians I'm following; and some are pretty special.

1) Anne McCue

First up that I really forgot that I had Anne in my library, but when her song $50 Whore didn't play for me because I lost my old Apple sign on password, I went and bought a few songs back in February this year, including this great Springsteen cover.


She was a treat and I'm planning to buy more of her music... here's what she sounded like when she picked up the acoustic guitar, but this woman brought like 5 guitars with her, and she played a mean electric slide. Ha.


2) Charlie Roth & Range Wheelers (Morningbird)

We never did stay up late enough for any of the Lake Stage concerts, but all the pictures I saw from them it was for the youngsters who love to just stand for a concert.  Charlie did play on the shady stage with a phenomenal fiddle player from Morningbird, and Charlie called them the Range Wheelers because his last name was Wheeler and they came from the Iron Range.. got to love Charlie.  Here's what he sounded like when he played soft, but he had a great sense of humor and a knack of finding good songs to cover.


Here's a video I posted on Facebook... you don't need to be shy, if you want to be friends hit me up.




To get a taste of the beautiful gypsy like violin we were treated to, here's Morningbird.  Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a sucker for a pretty lady playing fiddle, even more when they are this talented.  Love this set of music and the cover of an Erik Koskinen song.


AND here's their Bandcamp page:



I suppose I do need to mention a guy that I've hosted three times for house concerts... still love to see him anytime I can.  The Arlo Guthrie of our folk generation.



She was perfect for a gentle afternoon.



While he's clean shaven now, his clear story telling voice rang true to this video; plus he played behind Jennifer Jane Nicely too.



Ok I need to admit that I learned about them a couple of years ago, and then tucked it away making Facebook friends with their mom, April because frankly I thought it would be creepy to follow girls 13-15.  I guess this was the second trip the sisters had to MCF, and they were loved the year before.  How can you not love these three, yes older versions were just Olivia and Emma, but now Bella aged and learned bass and harmony.  (Aged is tongue in cheek, mom says she's 12.)   Today mom shared this hour concert that I'm listening to while writing the blog, since it's so current this is what they sounded like on the Shady Stage.  They did have a Main Stage set where they got a little more electric, I'm so glad they didn't have a drummer; the three of them were loud enough.. ha.  (Yes I'm on record that I like stripped down acoustic music better and drums too often force the singers to stretch out of their range.) I do think Olivia put on about 4,000 steps during the hour set on the main stage, that girl has a lot of energy... it looked and felt a lot like their main image on their home page.  


Their home page:

Of course speaking of mom a few times, she does have the best picture of the sisters; and to Olivia's chagrin some of oldest videos of them playing together.  

If you aren't retired and have an hour to listen to the above concert, (BTW if you can't listen to the whole hour skip ahead to 39 minutes in when they cover a Brandi Carlile song... GOOSEBUMPS) I did record a few songs of them from the weekend:


First a Carter family Song from a little side stage used during Main Stage change over:


I do think Olivia's writing is pretty dang good for a 17 year old, but I tended to tape their covers.  Like Ray LaMontagne's Jolene who I was introduced to the song by an unreleased demo from Hope Waits, and then fell in love with it and cover it myself in Lucky Dog.  Truly the sisters vocal skill are wonderful, and you know my love for Sibling Harmonies; they show them off in this song:


And of course I have both invited them to play my house concert (though Lori thought they are too big already to play our house) and now in this video to be the third cover of my parody of this Dylan song.  Yes Olivia admitted that she had to look up and find that Dylan wrote it; if I didn't admit it already I learned it to back up a wedding singer (Katie Johnson) and they had the Garth Brooks version.  I had the Dylan song on CD and it never sunk into me that it was a good song. 


They are out in Bandcamp from an early release, I have asked why the cd I picked up at the fest isn't out there yet.  I'll be sharing if it does get out there.




Now these two were fun, and while Keith is short, Ezra is really tall, they make you smile just looking at them; and now you're in a perfect mood to listen to some entertaining music.



8) Carsie Blanton who I had just reviewed ended Friday night for us (we're older) and she was everything I expected when we bought tickets and planned our trip in January.

Hope you loved the journey, and really I was thinking about one post but maybe I got carried away with the Burney Sisters.  (I think I'm telling you to pay attention to them!) You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!