Dave's Music #109 Luck


So as a huge Packer fan, did Christian Watson have some huge bad luck yesterday... I would say yes.  Luck should have been explored earlier since my band name in Lucky Dog, but since it wasn't it's a perfect day to explore some of the many ways songwriters have broached the subject.

1) Bad Luck - Shovels & Rope

Yes, cheers to Christian, you'll be back to scoring the long ball soon.


How can I not share them live from Austin City Limits?


2) Lady Luck - Samantha Farrell

This was the first song I thought of when I thought of this playlist.  A day with Lady Samm in your ears is a Lucky day....


3) If You're Lucky - Kelley McRae

From Kelley's most recent release, one where she explored a little more electric background. I was lucky enough to host her and hubby (Matt Castelein the lead guitarist) in a house concert.  


Plus I got lucky that this is a song she picked to put a sneak preview video up from the album.


4) Get Lucky - Mark Knopfler

Mark is confident we can get lucky now and then... great song and I got lucky with a great live video.


5) I Always Get Lucky With Your - Sarah Morris (or Buck Jones)

Ok I have two cover songs of this George Jones classic.  One from a great little cover EP that Sarah Morris put together:


The other artist in my playlist is Buck Jones that I picked up after I heard of his tragic death.  I picked up his music on Apple which isn't sharable and is no longer in their library.  Sad, it's a good cover and now his music has died too.   About the only thing I could find is this video:


6) Lucky Sometimes - Pokey LaFarge

Ok after that sad story and country, we need to slip into a little jazz club and get lucky with Pokey.



and he is one lucky dog shooting the video Esther Rose


7) What Luck's Been Up To - Claudia Schmidt

Claudia brings a lot of great lucky stories of near misses; yes we need to be grateful more often.


8) Lucky Girl - Marcia Hayden Hendrick

I have no idea why I have this song in my library, but it's my lucky day.  I love with all problems, she's lucky in love.   I'm not sure if she's making outfits now? It's such a unique name it make sense, but she could be creating art as in this Insta account.   I did find this bio too.   Will the real Marcia read the blog and tell me?  UPDATE - I did get the Insta link right, and Marcia isn't sewing or doing the sewing of outfits anymore because of a case of arthritis; too bad... so enjoy this song even more!


9) Lucky Girl - Claudia Nygaard

I would have to assume that I have Claudia in playlist because she has winner at Kerrville; I believe I need to listen to her more often than I do.  (CORRECTION Update - I have Claudia in my library because she gifted it to me as she was looking for a gig in Wisconsin to match up with one in Shawano.)

A former Nashville Music Row staff songwriter and a winner of the Kerrville, TX Folk Festival songwriting competitionClaudia Nygaard's writing is emotionally fearless. Vulnerable and tender one moment, then outlandish and irreverant the next, her songs move from heartfelt to humorous and from scrappy to sensual.


Plus I got lucky that someone taped her a SXSW doing the song.



10) Lucky Dog - Lucky Dog

Again I didn't try to hard to make a longer list and I know you were all expecting "How Lucky" by John Prine and it is the last song in the accompanied YouTube playlist, but what I wanted to end this playlist with was my Lucky Dog poem.

I am a copy of my old man
One that flirts with every pretty miss
You can trust me I’m no Peter Pan
I’ll sometimes hug, but never do I kiss

Why don’t we spend some time?
Crying about a show.
Why don’t we talk a while?
About your favorite Bordeaux
That dress that Margret wore,
Or what veggie you will grow.
Girl you got a friend
And I really want to know.

I am lucky dog, a trait I hold dear
Just lead me for a walk, throw me a smile.
I’ll sing you up a song, not loud but clear
Maybe a Dylan tune, but always worthwhile.

So you’re in Paradise
Hallelujah my friend
So when Johnny died
Did you Cry Cry Cry
Or sat alone in blue
Just tangled up again
Which tune you’d like to hear.
Knock twice for a Dylan.

I am a copy of my old man
One that flirts with every pretty miss
You can trust me, I’m no Peter Pan
I’ll sometimes hug, but rarely do I kiss

© 2016 Rose Riversongs


As is our recent tradition, here's a one click YouTube playlist for the blog post.


I hope you found luck on your journey with me today.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!