DBT #185 Twenty on High by Drayton Farley

Ok after Bandcamp Friday I had so much music I passed on posting a weekly review, I am still processing and trying to make sure every song has had at least one listen.  It's taking longer because this Drayton Farley album has had over 250 spins in total or 15 hours.  Ok maybe I put it on repeat while working and walking outside.  I said back in this Sep 2022 post that I found him in Twitter, bought a song and I started following him.  It was a great song, down to the river accented by a steady banjo and claps toward the end,  just like a work song to kill someone.


When you follow someone, I'm in for all the emails about releases.   So on Bandcamp Friday and when "Twenty on High" was released I was in the buying mode. Norfolk Blues starts playing and I'm hooked and just bought it.  So glad I did, and while I love to buy & review old releases, this one is as fresh as March 3rd.

Now you know I love to research other reviews to find out more and in this Americana Highways review I found out that the producer is none other than Jason Isbell's lead guitarist for the last 8 years, Sadler Vaden, no wonder this album felt so much like listening to Jason and I thought it was just the similarities in the voice. (which is there too)

Too funny that Saving Country Music took the Isbell comparison head on, 

"A smart ass might say something along the lines of how Drayton Farley’s full studio debut is the best album Jason Isbell has released since Southeastern. For sure, the similarities between Drayton Farley’s vocal delivery and song structure with his fellow Alabaman are picked up by the ear immediately. These similarities are rendered even more pronounced since Twenty on High was produced by 400 Unit member Sadler Vaden, and the back line of bassist Jimbo Hart and drummer Chad Gamble also contributed to the album.

There are much more terrible things to be compared with or sound similar to than Jason Isbell and Southeastern. Isbell’s 2013 album was one of the greatest country/Americana releases of the last decade."

Call me a smart ass as pictured above.  While I don't have all of Jason's music, I full heartedly agree about the Southeastern album I have bought twice, digitally and on vinyl.

Brooklyn Vegan has Drayton tipping the hat to Jason, and two of my legends James McMurtry & John Prine.  Now the other new country guys aren't much in my playlist, but I understand they are good too.

Ok let's listen to each song, because truly there are no duds in this one:

1) Stop the Clock

This one has a great story telling about his Alabama like a Slaid Cleaves describes his Texas.  "Time's a bitch, stop the clock and take me home"


We get two great videos from RadioWV of Drayton live and solo, boy wouldn't he make a great house concert?


2) Norfolk Blues

Enter the 400 Unit, and a great work song that could have easily been on that Southeastern album and you would have swore it was Jason.  


Nice the official video is over 100K in views... people get this guy is good.



3) Wasted Youth

A more gentle song as Drayton recounts choices, and as you listen to this you can understand why I didn't mind this to be played over and over.


I love when artist hit a radio station and perform live in a studio, such crisp sound, though the studio looks like it might a bar.  



4) Above My Head

Tempo picks up a little, "The more there is, the more is to lose, and that's what keeps me away" solitude perspective that keeps us up at night too.


5) Twenty on High

The title track is really about storytelling, Drayton brings you along on the rails as an adolescent kid.  In the song 35 is used like 24 Frames song.


Hear Drayton play it live and solo:



6) Something Wrong (Inside in Head)

"Why the hell am I feeling down and I don't have a thing to be bitchin about" I think we've all felt that way at times.


7) Devil's in NOLA

A little country swing with a great fiddle, and you can tell Drayton's toured in NOLA.  Dance floor is open but it's "painted in an awful shade of sin." and I'm not sure if the Lord can save you.


There was this nice video of this song from his album release show... sadly no fiddle.  Ha can't have everything I guess.



8) How to Feel Again

Ok slow it down but the fiddler stays to add to sadness this time.  I'm pretty sure he just wants to hold someone and rest, and you have the right.


Here's a great solo video from Drayton with the song:



9) The Alabama Moon

First listen to this song, I immediately shared it with my buddy Kent who just retired to Alabama.  It's really about missing home, and I hope Tulsa is not too offended.


10) All My Yesterdays Have Passed

If you hoped the album ended happy, well it's hopeful at least because his yesterday's have passed.


No YouTube playlist for this album, but I bet if you click this album link, it will move from one song to the next at least once before it asks you to buy it.  (and likely you should)


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!